Goriel and beyond, part 3

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Goriel and beyond, part 3

Post by Drusia »

"No."

So much for that. Does he not believe me? Where'd Rose pick this idiot up anyway?

She turned to Argus, exasperation on her face, for a quick mind-talk.

I know that look - Rose and Argus are having a mental exchange. I'm not sure what she expects that to accomplish - if Rose can't talk the priest into talking, I don't see how the handsome guy from Tsuiraku is going to do any better.

It does give me an idea though. I mean, it's worth a shot.

<"Hey, asshole,"> I mindspeak to Tim. I have no idea if he'd done this before - and frankly I don't care. <"Eli is from my town, and he's friends with my daughter. I want to take him alive and get this necklace thing away from him before he turns Errant for real. My friend outside isn't about to be as forgiving - if Eli tries to take her on, he's going to die. So are a lot of people in Goriel when Eli sets the place on fire. You want to protect your friend. I understand - I want to protect him too. I take protecting my people very personally. Which is why you are pissing me off by putting Eli in further danger.">

Something Rose said a moment ago causes me to make a sudden connection. Ah. So that's why he's being so biligerant.

<"Rose said earlier that you were, and I quote 'bugging her' to help Eli. I asked her why the hell she didn't. I'm getting the impression you're pretty pissed at Rose for not helping Eli sooner. Well, so am I. I put Eli in her care - I thought she'd be able to help and guide him. Apparently I was wrong. It seems like that job fell to you. So help me. Help me to help Eli. As far as I can tell, you and I are the only people in this room who give a shit about what happens to him.">

There. If that doesn't do it, nothing will. And I'll get the oh-so-novel privilage of hunting down and killing a young man I helped train to fight and evade Peregins.

-- Drusia
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

As Rose mindspoke to Argus, Tim's hands flew to his head and he shrieked. Like this: "Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!" All dignity forgot, his body curled and his head struck the floor. He was violated and the elf was stealing secrets from his mind! As she fed him her lies! He must not think about - not think about - not think about - but didn't Father Benjamin say there was no point in not thinking about a purple cow, or whatever it was...?
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!"

I flinch at the noise, glad that the sound-proofing spell is still up. Argus's work, I think. Anyway.

I turn to look at Rose as Tim screams at my feet.

"Apparently you didn't teach him to Mindspeak," I say matter of factly.

I shake my head. "Never mind. This has gotten out of hand. There's a good chance that the fact Tim spotted my companion means that Eli did too. The fact that no battle is currently raging outside means that either one of them is already dead, or that Eli fled. I need to go find out which, and let my companion know that an Errant is on the loose in Goriel. Excuse me, a faux-Errant-by-magical-pendant." That's going to go over really fucking well.

I turn to Lillith. "Don't worry about my companion. She's a Friend of Santuariel like I am. Don't set anyone on fire or whatever Eli's been doing, and you won't have any problems with her. And, again, congradulations."

On that note, I gate myself outside, appearing near the position where I left my companion. She's still there, looking mildly annoyed. So she's not dead.

"Trouble?" I ask her.

"Aside from wondering if you were coming back?" she replies. "Nothing."

"Things didn't go as planned," I tell her. "We have a situation. One of the three half-elves got his hands on some sort of magical necklace and has gone around the bend. His human companions want to capture him and see if removing the necklace restores him to normal. The Santuarielian half-elf with them wasn't so hopeful."

"She'd have cause to know," my companion replies grimly.

I nod. "And yet, according to all of them, this change has happened over a matter of days - and only since acquiring this necklace. It might be reversable."

"Half-elves have turned Errant faster," she replies.

"Yes," I agree, remembering my city drowning, "But most happen more slowly. Besides, there's a bigger problem. The Errant may have spotted you. His friend - "

"Arrived without him," she says, cutting me off, "Looking nervous."

I nod. "He refused to answer my questions about the Errant's location. He's afraid we're going to kill him."

"We probably are," she replies. "It isn't exactly easy to take them alive, particularly when they know we're coming. And it's not like we can just cut the necklace off of him, like we could a ring." Indeed. A ring would be easy - just cut the whole hand off.

"Worse, this one's seen me fight," I tell her. She raises her eyebrows. "This group helped me take down an Errant south of here. The one with the pendant, Eli - he was one of the combatants. The rest were humans. I can tell you this - he's combat trained, and he knows how I move." There - that is about the most reasonable explanation I can think of for why Eli will know my combat style.

"Shit," she says. I nod.

"Come on," she continues, "Let's see if we can pick up his trail." I follow her lead as she backtracks from where she first saw Tim. I have no idea if we'll find anything, but it's the only lead we have right now.

-- Drusia

OOC: I should mention - if anyone needs to say anything more to Drusia, she's just outside the front gates, looking for tracks. It'll take them some time to find anything, so if a word is needed, just head outside and have it.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli had managed to get most of the insistent terror out of his system by the time he arrived at the Valahiri inn. If there'd been a time when the half-elf was more grateful for Fucilious' help, he couldn't recall it. The conversation with his benefactor had drawn to a close as he'd placed a hand on the handle of the front door, the Ralkin leader's last words rang in his ears.

'Gabriel is making preparations for your departure now. He'll guide you to the location after he's finished. In the meantime, I suggest you make a few preparations of your own.'

Even less than a month ago the prospect of having to stand up to an elf by himself would have struck Eli as suicidal, but that was before the wonderful gifts of the mana-boosting amulet (he estimated the thing doubled the amount of power he could put into a spell) and the guidebook for calling forth all those wonderful, rabid, poisonous creatures of the ether to do the fighting for him. Now, just maybe, he had a chance to send the child killer's packing, or at least hang on long enough for Gabriel to get to him and get the fuck out of the city.

Preparation, Fucilious said, that was key. And it was the one thing on Eli's mind as he emptied his coin purse for the biggest room the inn had to offer (which was of fair size given the upmarket appearance of the place) and left a message with the keeper for Tim. It was still on his mind as he entered the room and cast a muffling spell so the patrons wouldn't hear the racket he intended on making. And it was definitely on his mind as he tore down the beautiful wall hangings, kicked furniture out of the way and sketched galdy symbols on the walls with the ease of continual practice.

This time, there was no holding the line like a fisherman too scared to reel his catch in. The half-elf pulled the first creature through and, as he did, immediately felt the calmness of safety settling over him, accompanied by just a flicker of rage that echoed from the mind of the monster he was now linked to.

The creature, if anything, was even more ugly than the beast he'd drawn at Port Lorrel. It's blotchy, mottled skin was patterned with boils in addition to the usual mangy fur. Nevertheless the half-elf dropped to his knee and stretched a welcoming hand to his charge, which padded forward and put it's head under the hand with the practiced familiarity of a long-term family pet. It opened it's mouth to make a noise that was somewhere between a deep purr and a hiss, a solitary drop of venom fell from its fangs and made a coin mark on the floorboards.

"Good boy, you'll protect me, won't you? Oh? What's that?" He cocked his head as if the feline had just asked a question. "You're lonely? Well, let's see what daddy can do about that."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus sighed. "Well," he said to the room at general. "Nice to know things are always exciting, isn't it?" He walked over to Tim. "You alright? That was more than a little excessive on Drusia's part."

Harker looked at the door in mild annoyance. "Remember when we were all on the same side? Those were great days."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"You alright? That was more than a little excessive on Drusia's part."

Tim rose unsteadily, warily to his feet. There was no trust in his face. At least this heathen was trying to be polite - but there were strong signs of betrayal in this room, and he wouldn't be sugared into it, no more than shouted, bullied, and violated into it. Of course, it might be the elf had extracted the knowledge from his mind while taking him that way - that would explain why no one was trying to force it from him now. He was wishing he'd attacked - a stupid wish; he wouldn't have gotten his blade a third of the way out against Drusia alone, let alone Drusia and all his companions.

"Not really," he said, "Not at all well, to tell you the truth. But there's something I'm burning to know." He turned an eye to Brad. "Brother Brad - or anyone, really - has there been another one of those parrots that arrived tonight?"

"No, Brother, but..."

"Have there been some orders from the Patriarch himself, saying to work with that elf that was just here, on the matter of Eli?"

"No, but..."

"And you were here when Rose told me, this was one of those situations where the Patriarch said to work with the elf?"

"Brother, I don't think she meant..."

His head snapped back to Argus. "No," he said. "I'm not at all well. I've been lied to. Also - violated." He pressed a hand to the side of his head. And he didn't say a tenth of a tenth of what he was thinking. He wanted to live, wanted to get a warning to Eli - but neither was that likely. No, he was doomed, Eli was doomed, but he would not betray him to the elf! Nor the elf's servant, no matter that servant wore nun's robes and held rank.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus took a long, considering look at Tim, at the interplay of emotions on the man's face. Well, nothing for it, then.

So Argus slapped Tim across the face. Hard.

"For the love of all that's holy, get a hold of yourself, man!" Argus all but shouted. "You look like you think you're surrounded by bloodthirsty ghouls! Well, you're not. But it's clear that you've got a lot on your mind. So. Here's your chance. How's about we hear it, Tim. Whatever you want to say, here's your golden opportunity to pour it all out. I'm listening."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

More betrayal - more bullying! He knew it would be so. Rose and Argus were together, in every sense, and the elf gave the orders. There was no way he was betraying Eli to these people. He might never see him again - the half-elf might well die in bondage. He was in Lord Luminosita's hands now, if anyone's besides his new masters', and there was nothing Tim could do about it. Except keep this one little shred of faith - not to betray him to elf assassins, or those who served them. What he really wanted was to storm out of here, and flee these people.

And yet...and yet...Argus had just invited him to say whatever he liked. Most likely so he'd betray himself or Eli, or they could use it against him. He was already headed for a Court of Inquiry, or worse, and what he said now - what he'd said and done already - would be evidence against him. Thinking of yourself now? No, he himself was already doomed and it didn't matter. And maybe, just maybe, there was a scrap of...something nobler. And by temperament, Tim was a man who liked to talk, and hated to refuse an invitation.

"If Rose hasn't told you," he said, "Right before we flew here - I saw evidence that Eli was dabbling in black magic. Magic that puts your soul in thrall - erodes your conscience - enslaves you to evil." Nothing you heathens would understand, magician or not. "Desiree told me about an amulet he'd acquired, did she tell you? Back in Getsemiel that was. And I saw he had a book, that he used to summon things. Devilish things. And as he worked with it - he's slowly started to lose control of himself. Desiree noticed it, and told me. He changed...as a man. Same way. And she promised me this - if he fell, she would heal him - so he would not die under the influence of that. It's not just his life, but his soul that's in peril. To us Veracians - there is nothing more important than the fate of one man's soul.

"At the farmhouse, outside this town, I told Rose. I told her all of it. I advised her to tell you - that this was the time. To stop him, to seize him suddenly, to strike him down and heal him or grab him with magic or whatever - and while he was helpless, to get that book and that amulet away." And fight the demons and devils that try to stop us - he didn't think this heathen would get that part. "That was the time and place to do it - out of town where it wouldn't draw attention, or hurt the mission, or anyone else around.

"And what she said to me was - no. Not doing it. Because of Blaise. Somehow or other saving Eli got in the way of chasing Blaise. No saving Eli 'til we catch Blaise. Which we didn't do then and haven't done yet.

"So Eli and I go out, and we learn things. I told you the worst of what I saw already. And we come back. And what do we find? An elf outside - waiting to kill him! So I come in to report the news, tell you about this. And I'm attacked by an elf myself - an elf who gives orders to me and gives orders to Rose. Which Rose obeys at once! Make him talk. And to do that, she lies to me. She says the Patriarch said he wants us to 'work with' this elf - yet no orders have come all-a-sudden. No. She's just saying what it takes to get me to betray him. To death. To the elves.

"And when those orders don't work, the elf assaults my mind - with obscenities" - he was exaggerating here a little; it was just one insult, really - "and babble, like she's trying to extract it all from me. I tried not to give it up. I don't know what she got. Maybe Eli's dead already. And maybe you don't care."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli was far from dead, in fact, he'd never felt so alive.

The half-elf was sat in a room surrounded by sleek, predatory shapes. They milled around him hissing and growling in a manner which would have made a normal man evacuate his bowels in the thin hope that maybe the reptilian-esque big cats would not touch spoiled meat. The average man, however, was not a summoner.

Eli could feel the minds of all three creatures, touch their thoughts, feel their loyalty to each other and to him, their master. In turn, he felt their desires contending with his own, their desire to pounce, to tear, to eat. The whole affair put him in mind of a grand judge who'd been forced to listen to the testimonies of a trio of lawyers who were unyielding and insistent with the case they were presenting. It wasn't enough to make the man draw his sword and set about destroying the inn and all its occupants, but it highlighted one of the dangers mentioned in the tome Fucilious had give him... that drawing too many vejah (an ancient word from a dead dialect which simply meant 'those who can be drawn') would overpower the caster's will and make him a slave to the instincts of the creatures he'd tried to control. Eli suspected that as little as one more of the beasts would have been enough to overrule his reason.

'At least for now...' His mind interjected. 'You're past the entrance of this discipline but still standing in the entrance hall... how many could Fucilious draw I wonder? He's older than he looks, you know that for a certainty. How many decades has he been practicing this? Three? Five? Ten?'

That was question for another time, he had a more pressing one he needed to ask. He clutched the amulet and prepared to send another message.

'Ma... Fucilious.'

'Yes, my ceaselessly chatty half-elf?'

'Would it not be wiser for me to simply flee now? There's a stable outside, it would be the work of minutes to steal a horse and ride away.'

He heard the sigh quite clearly, it gave Eli a moment's pause to consider the fact that he'd nearly greeted the older man as 'master'. It was a slip he couldn't afford; surely by now Fucilous knew he was the best chance the half-elf had to get out of Goriel alive, let alone achieve his ambitions, there was no need to cement that knowledge.

'You all of people should know the answer to that, half-elf. You know how relentless Peregin's are; you'd escape them now only to find them standing in your room in the early hours of the morning with blade in hand days later.'

Venom in the old man's voice... personal experience perhaps?

'Your man may still come through, as you said. In the event... in the highly likely event that he doesn't, Gabriel will help you escape.'

'As YOU said before. How?'

'That's for you to find out later or never. The last thing I need is one of my subordinates captured and informing his captors how to catch another.'

'I'm not your...'

'Lie to yourself if you like, but don't lie to me, half-elf. Wait. Survive. That is your role. Do not fail.'

The link went dead. Eli slumped in his chair and brushed a hand through one of his 'pets' fur for comfort.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose was starting to feel very tired, very beaten down ... very old. And down to grasping at straws.

I wonder if the security force from the airship could capture Eli? she thought. They have some resources that we don't, and if I could put Eli and Tim on the airship together and send it back to Saus, we'd probably all be better off for it. I ... wonder if they could do it without casualties, though. Would that be just exchanging one unacceptable situation for another one?

Argus looked like he was about ready to lay into Tim again, and Rose raised her hand to stop him and float that idea ... but before she could say anything, an unexpected quarter was heard from.

"Tim, you're out of line here," Brad said, with uncharacteristic heat in his own voice. "We know Drusia, the elf that just popped in here, very well, and Rose is right: we got permission a long time ago to have our team work with whoever Rose thinks is right to work with, and that includes Drusia. And I'll tell you this, too. I owe her a lot. She saved Lillith's life." He put his arm protectively around his wife. "She probably saved mine at least once, too. And she's been a friend and ally of our group ever since we met her. She almost died for us once. I trust her. I trust an elf, man."

He gulped and continued. "One hell of a lot more than I trust Eli, and frankly, more than I trust you. And I'm pretty sure that if she was mucking around in your head ... it was because you damn well had it coming." He released Lillith and folded his arms in front of him, his face set and stubborn.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.