Goriel and beyond, part 3

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: Goriel and beyond, part 3

Post by Drannin »

Sareth wrote:[OOC]Okay, everything's okay at this end. Fire's out and missed us by three miles. Nothing to really post at the moment, though.[/OOC]
(OOC: Wow. Kind of close for comfort, there. Glad you're alright, Sareth)

Argus smirked in a weary fashion. "Just leave that to Harker. He's been... busy, according to the not he left me this morning."

Harker on the loose in Goriel was a terrifying thought.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Jamie, Tamina, and Udo found it easy to trail the Gibazov mining party. Their north-northeastward route was well-roaded but also very hilly, with plenty of cover. The Gorielian population out of town was mostly farmers and herdsmen, but they were easy to avoid -- if you didn't seem likely to steal their sheep or rape their goats, they were happy to let you pass at a safe distance. The villages were placed on hilltops and defended with stockades. Into one such the mining party retreated as the storm swept down from the north, and the three pursuers found a convenient cave to shelter in 'til it was past.

Occasionally they were threatened by scruffy, desperate outlaws - unclanned men with nothing to lose, too hungry or too cruel to think of anything but killing the adventurers and eating them. None of them lived long enough to learn to say "kobold" instead of "catgirl." A greater nuisance was the occasional mosquito patch. At one point, Udo went half-mad and had to be restrained from blasting the little bloodsuckers with his staff.

Their quarry made good time, and evening found them sheltering in a comfortable village, while their three pursuers camped out in another cave. Damn it, no marshmallows, thought Udo.

[OOC: Pausing but I can carry it forward if people don't want to take the opportunity to really...be...in this cave.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Argus smirked in a weary fashion. "Just leave that to Harker. He's been... busy, according to the not he left me this morning."

I nod, but keep frowning. "He'd be a help, but how do I contact him if I need to send you an urgent message? I can't exactly go around shouting for him. Is there some sort of signal I could use that he'd recognize but wouldn't be obvious? Or maybe some sort of drop point?" Not that I have a lot of access to paper or ink to be writing notes with. Geteroi aren't known for their linguistic skills.

-- Desiree
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus considered. "Is there some place in the compound where you could discretely leave a message? I'll tell Harker to check it frequently in case of an emergency."
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Argus considered. "Is there some place in the compound where you could discretely leave a message? I'll tell Harker to check it frequently in case of an emergency."

"Only the Zenana," I reply. "And I don't have anything to write with. Do you have something he'd recognize? I can leave it near the window as a signal that he needs to speak with me. Harker's pretty good at being stealthy - if he can avoid being seen, I could then give him the message directly." It's as good of a plan as any, I suppose.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Uh, not to be borrowing trouble here, but are you sure most geteroi can write?" Sister Rose interjected. "It'd be unfortunate to call attention to yourself if that's a skill most in your position don't have."

[OOC: OK, back in touch, but I have a ton of catching up to do, so it'll be a while before I do much concrete. This question does seem like it's worth asking, however.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Catching up is a good idea before proceeding...there may be some clues waiting to be recognized as such...anyway, I think a place like this would have low male literacy and extremely low female literacy, but it wouldn't be a scandal if a getera learned to read. Dina apparently can read the textual parts of her favorite "literature," and Irina, who as the senior getera has some "officer of the house" duties, has been known to write down orders for shopping trips. So writing material can be had, though you might want some plausible excuse as to why you want it.]
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:"Uh, not to be borrowing trouble here, but are you sure most geteroi can write?" Sister Rose interjected. "It'd be unfortunate to call attention to yourself if that's a skill most in your position don't have."

[OOC: OK, back in touch, but I have a ton of catching up to do, so it'll be a while before I do much concrete. This question does seem like it's worth asking, however.]
OOC: Um, Desiree just made that point, and suggested a signal instead - something that Harker would recognize and then come to speak with Desiree quietly - since Desiree has no writing impliments and doesn't want to reveal that she can read or write.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Now I see that, but Rose was asking Argus, not Desiree. In Goriel, one must get in such barbs against one's lord husband when one can, after all. ;)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:OOC: Now I see that, but Rose was asking Argus, not Desiree. In Goriel, one must get in such barbs against one's lord husband when one can, after all. ;)
OOC:
^^ Oh, well that's all right then.

Yeah Argus, way to ask Desiree to expose herself like that. :P

Edit: Pun not intended, but... eh, it works.