Goriel and beyond, part 6

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Goriel and beyond, part 6

Post by Graybeard »

"I'm staying with Desiree."

Damn,
thought Therese.

She hoped it didn't show in her face, because honor demanded what she would say next. "Very well, then." She turned to Desiree. "The same offer is open to you: transport to a place of sanctuary, transport back to Goriel, or travel onward with us. In your case, however, I feel compelled to make some comments." Is this my duty speaking, or my desire? I'm still going to say this. "Going back to Goriel would be a terrible, terrible mistake for both of you, one that you would probably not survive. I am also doubtful that you would find the place of sanctuary satisfactory. And my impression is that your mother wishes that you stay on with Sister Rose." Not to mention my own ... wishes. "As I myself will do. But the same offer is open."

The rushing noise in her head had become louder, and she wasn't sure it was because of the airship engines.

---------------

"That's Tim, Therese, Desiree and Anfisa," Sister Rose called, as she used the airship's telescope (no reason to expend her own energy on magic here). "We're in the right place. But where are Brad and Lillith?" She gave Argus a mildly anxious look.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

I stare at the portal with dawning comprehension and understanding. Santuariel. That's why Therese brought it up earlier - they have a hidden portal to Santuariel, or to somewhere nearby. She just sent Lillith home.

She took Desiree's arm in both of her hands and said it simply. "I'm staying with Desiree."

Urk. Um... well crap.

I place my hand on hers. "Are you sure?" I ask her. "I'm going some dangerous places. I... I might die. Are you sure you want to travel with me and not stay somewhere safe? I mean, I'd rather be somewhere safe - but I can't right now." I pointedly don't glance at Therese.

"Through there," I point at the portal, "Men and women are equals. No man has the right to do anything to a woman that she doesn't choose. And a woman may choose to be with whom she likes." I hope I'm not talking out my ass here. Half-elves tend to be very egalitarian, and Lillith certainly doesn't take back seat to anyone. For that matter, I hope I'm right and it actually is Santuariel. That was just a guess on my part. Oh well, whatever's there, I'm sure Therese wouldn't send a getera back into bondage. "There are no masters or getera or kept women there - just free men and women, living their lives as equals."

I can see in her eyes that she wants to stay with me. Damn. I add one more thing, hoping that I'm not lying. "You'll be safe there. And when I'm done with all this dangerous stuff... I'll come back and meet you there. My mother knows the way -" again, if that is Santuariel, I'll need to check with Therese to make sure - "and I've always wanted to visit there anyway." I leave the other part - if I die, she will live on - unspoken. I'm sure she gets the implication.

-- Desiree

Edit: OOC: Desiree will get to Therese's comment in a moment. She's trying this one last time.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese winced visibly at Desiree's speech, and Marge Vatnikov's head snapped around so rapidly that Therese would have feared for the old woman's neck if she hadn't been preoccupied. Well, what was done was done.

"We do not speak of that place here," she said, trying to keep her voice even. "Why do you think I was talking around the name when I sent Brad and Lillith? But yes, the place you are thinking of is the place of sanctuary, or rather, one of them. The other -- would definitely not suit you." The thought of these two in Refuge-Nouveau ... well, it didn't exactly work.

"You could use this resource --" she indicated the shed, its door now closed again -- "to get close to there, close enough to be within a short day's walk, as Brad and Lillith are doing. But I must say: do not romanticize -- that place. It is not a city that welcomes strangers, even --" she looked around to make sure that no one outside the party was in earshot but Lady Vatnikov; she knew about Santuariel, obviously, but others of Clan Vatnikov would not -- "even unfamiliar half elves. At least that's what Lillith says, and my own experiences would confirm this. But it is your choice."

The airship was getting closer.

[EDIT: Minor retcon to deal with something that Drusia pointed out to me. It doesn't change anything significant.]

-------------

"I'm nervous about this," Sister Rose said, rather unnecessarily; she wasn't the best at hiding her emotions and keeping a poker face. She turned to the helmsman. "Can you find a field where you can hover and let Argus and me go down the ramp and find out what's going on there?"

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina ran to the railing on the deck and skidded to a halt with a gentle 'whuff!' as her ribs thumped gently into the wood. She threw up a hand at the growing specks in the distance and yelled.

"Hi Tim! Hi Fer-fur-there <bugger it> you guys!" She dropped her hand and frowned at Rose. "Don't know if they can hear me." She said.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Are you sure?"

Well, of course she was sure. What was this? Setting her aside? Putting her on the shelf? Her eyes were filling with tears already. Then there was a bunch of talk about strange places through a magic barrier and "a woman may choose to be with whom she likes" - what kind of sense did that make? She wanted to be with Desiree, and no one but Desiree, and Desiree wasn't going there. The rest was just babble to her, but the tone was, "I want to sell you on this." Why?

She was looking down to hide the tears and spoke in a tiny little voice. "Is that what you want?" Whether there was, or could be, a good answer to that question was for Desiree to find.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese held her breath, waiting for Desiree's response to Anfisa's whispered question.

However, there was no time for anyone to say anything before something large blasted out of the dwarven defensive system that they'd gingerly traversed, and streaked skyward with a loud WHOOSH.

--------------

"INCOMING!!" at least ten voices shouted simultaneously aboard the airship.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Her eyes were filling with tears already. She was looking down to hide the tears and spoke in a tiny little voice. "Is that what you want?"

Damn. Well then, so be it.

"I want you to be safe and happy," I tell her honestly. "I love you - I don't want you to be in danger because of me. But... if you would rather risk your life than be away from me... that's your choice to make. I just wanted to make sure you understood the risks your accepting. And -" I really need to tel her more about me. "And -"

WHOOSH.

The hell?! I look up at the noise.

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa, scared by the noise, grabbed onto Desiree with both arms.

Tim was on his feet and looking up - but he didn't speak. If these people knew what that was, they'd say so in a moment.

Up above, Udo jumped to the porthole and threw up a shield (probably quite useless) in front of him and Tamina. If the ship went down, he was planning to grab her and sail softly to earth, as he'd done once with Jamie.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Udo's Shield spell was joined by numerous other Shields and Barriers as the magic-capable members of the crew joined Sister Rose and the other party members in spellcasting. It worked; the projectile shattered against the first bank of defenses, and only a few fragments made it through to be stopped by Rose's spell. Interesting, she thought. Whatever that missile was, it was entirely non-magical. That can't have been ... dwarven, can it?

She put the thought out of her mind for the moment, as the crew scurried to battle stations. "Wait!" she called to the captain. "Hold your fire, those are our people down there." She turned to Argus, a weak smile on her face. "Just another thing we're going to have to straighten out when we get to the ground..."

-------------

A similar conversation was occurring on the ground.

"That's a friendly," Therese told Marge Vatnikov. "Can you shut off that weapon?"

The old woman shook her head. "Automatic system, Flamme," she said. "We have no control over it."

"I thought as much." She turned back to the two young women. "Some reassurances will be needed, but they will be given. That is your alternative transportation beyond here, if you wish it." A faint smile. "Anfisa, have you ever been on an airship before?"

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Never a dull moment," Argus quipped.