Goriel and beyond, part 6

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Goriel and beyond, part 6

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa hadn't felt the magical examination -- her social and sexual senses were supremely sensitive, but she was magically subpar. If she looked worried, it was a reflection of Desiree, and nothing more.

Jillian, for her part, knew exactly "what it was all about." It was all about the big stack of hard currency the Tsuirakuan official had just laid in her hands. She invited him to come back anytime, and bring his friends, too. She made a note of the symbols on his uniforms. Her knowledge of conversational Tsuirakuan didn't extend to the written language, but as far as she was concerned, the symbols meant "heavy tipper." She gave extra attention to the three young ladies to make sure they felt welcome here.

[OOC: I've got an idea Graybeard's in a good mood this weekend.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"There has been a -- what is your word -- traumatic event in the Homeland that caused them to travel without due preparation. All is well now. They will return home and trouble you no more."
"What was that all about?" Therese wondered out loud, as the three women tried to get back to their meal.

I frown. "A tramatic event in Tsuiraku," I echo thoughtfully. "That's... vague. Although it does explain why the group following us ran off earlier - bad news from home."

That man... something about him rubbed me the wrong way. I can't quite place why.

Anyway, I'll be glad to be elsewhere. I feel like getting up and moving. I feel like....

"Do Veracians dance?" I ask Tim. "Like... fun dance, not ceremonial or anything. Is there somewhere we could go dancing?" After all, we are dressed in our best - what better activity to show them off? Plus we can get away from the grumpy Tsuirakuians.

-- Desiree

OOC: Sorry, been busy all week. I'll likely be busy next week as well. But I should be fairly available this weekend.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"We do indeed," said Tim (upon his return). "In couples and sets, with fiddles, pipes, and drums! But I haven't heard that anyone's holding a dance in Saus tonight. If there's a wedding party there'll be dancing, but it's only for the invited guests."

"Dance halls" - where strangers came in to dance wiith ladies who got paid for it - were forbidden as they tended to degenerate into other kinds of business, which needed to be more discreet than that. Priests weren't exactly forbidden to dance but they normally didn't - because even normal, healthy, proper dancing was so often a first step in courtship.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Like... fun dance, not ceremonial or anything. Is there somewhere we could go dancing?"

Therese gulped. "That ... could be awkward," she said. "Most of what I know about dance involves being, ah, in character in Goriel. I don't think you want me to join you in that kind of dancing, do you? I mean the kind that involves men swinging big swords and insulting their enemies."

She thought a moment more, seeing an opportunity, and went for it. "On the other hand, if you could use the occasion to teach me more -- peaceful styles, I think I'd be ... receptive." Was that too heavily coded? I hope not.

[OOC: You got it, A. BTW, I'll be back in more complete contact on Monday.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"We do indeed," said Tim. "In couples and sets, with fiddles, pipes, and drums! But I haven't heard that anyone's holding a dance in Saus tonight. If there's a wedding party there'll be dancing, but it's only for the invited guests."

I smile, then frown. Fiddles, pipes, and drums are a good start. What what about singers? And anyway - 'holding' a dance? Does that mean they only happen on special occasions?

"Aren't there taverns that just... you know, have dancing? All the time?" I ask hopefully. I didn't think it was that uncommon of a practice, but apparently I don't know as much about these things as I thought.

Therese gulped. "That ... could be awkward," she said. "Most of what I know about dance involves being, ah, in character in Goriel. I don't think you want me to join you in that kind of dancing, do you? I mean the kind that involves men swinging big swords and insulting their enemies."
"On the other hand, if you could use the occasion to teach me more -- peaceful styles, I think I'd be ... receptive."

I blink. I hadn't considered that. I almost ask what kind of dancing she does at home, but if she says she doesn't dance, then she probably doesn't. Instead, I go educational - after all, if Therese doesn't know how, then chances are Anfisa doesn't know either. Thinking back, I really can't imagine Gorielians just dancing together - it would be too equal for them.

"I'm not sure about sets," I say, "But couples dancing is easy enough. The couple sort of hold one another, only not quite, and one leads - or they take turns sometimes - in either a slow circle if it's a slow song, or a faster triangle if it's faster." I get some rather blank expressions at that. "Um," I frown. "It's easier to demonstrate than explain, I think." I start to stand and offer Therese my hand when it occurs to me that we're still in view of the Tsuirakuians. "Maybe somewhere with less of an audience?" I suggest.

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Aren't there taverns that just... you know, have dancing? All the time?"

"In Tsuiraku, maybe, but not here," said Tim. "Dance halls - well, we disfavor them." He didn't particularly want to start a debate about Veracian mores. And he thought his companions were smart enough not to start such an argument in public, anyway.

"I'm not sure about sets. But couples dancing is easy enough. The couple sort of hold one another, only not quite, and one leads - or they take turns sometimes - in either a slow circle if it's a slow song, or a faster triangle if it's faster. Um, it's easier to demonstrate than explain, I think. Maybe somewhere with less of an audience?"

"Good idea," said Tim. "Back at your lodgings would be just the place." - he didn't say "our lodgings" just in case some listener got the wrong idea - "It's roomy enough." And since Desiree was already half-up, he encouraged them to walk along with him. After he'd paid Jillian, of course. He wasn't going to be upset if someone preferred to go somewhere else first; but thought a dance demonstration, with Desiree holding Therese and Anifsa where anyone could see, would simply invite trouble that didn't need inviting.

As they walked, he talked a little about Veracian dance forms. The couples formed into sets, usually starting as three to five couples all lined up, and they danced in patterns they'd learned from adolescence, using common steps. The holds were not as close as in the couple dancing Desiree knew, but there was occasional improvising. Sometimes, at a festival for example, they might have a ring dance, with the boys starting on the outside and the girls on the inside, so that you changed partners every time you finished a figure.

Anfisa commented that the kind of weapon dancing Therese knew was for boys -- which made sense, as Therese had normally worn men's clothing in Goriel -- and that she knew some native forms for girls (though she wasn't as good as Valentina). It was easy to see that these pretty, seductive forms, well designed to rouse the passions of family warriors before a night of sensuous pleasure, were not so well designed for display here and now.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"In Tsuiraku, maybe, but not here," said Tim. "Dance halls - well, we disfavor them."

I pout. Really? I guess I should have known than anything fun would be - disfavored - here.

"Good idea," said Tim. "Back at your lodgings would be just the place."

I am torn between being offended and relieved. Offended that Tim feels the need to hide us away and relieved that... well, the same thing really. This getting noticed thing... smitings... peregins... mobs - lots of ways things could go badly.

As they walked, he talked a little about Veracian dance forms. The couples formed into sets, usually starting as three to five couples all lined up, and they danced in patterns they'd learned from adolescence, using common steps. The holds were not as close as in the couple dancing Desiree knew, but there was occasional improvising. Sometimes, at a festival for example, they might have a ring dance, with the boys starting on the outside and the girls on the inside, so that you changed partners every time you finished a figure.

And there was the issue - patterns they'd learned years ago, ingraned. We have some group dancing in Snamish, but it isn't something I'd try to teach to an outsider. At least not without having a group of experienced dancers and a week or two to practice. Even a quick study needs a little time to pick up steps like that.

Couples dancing, though - that's easy. Or at least less difficult to learn in one evening. The easy stuff anyway.

Back in our chambers, I clear some space.

"Okay," I say, "We need music. I can sing and play the lap harp, but not - you know, while dancing. Tim - are you joining us? Any ideas?"

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Well, when we're short on instruments, there's always mouth music," said Tim -- Anfisa suppressed a giggle -- "But let's see if I can find a pipe or a whistle." He found himself wishing for Eli and his harmonica - but that led to depressing thoughts, so he left the room and asked around.

While Tim was out of the room, Anfisa on impulse laid fingers on the back of Desiree's head and leaned in for a languorous kiss. (Impulse or hours of starvation, out in public in this place? No matter. She did it.)

Sure enough, there was was a penny whistle to be had. Tim wasn't that good a musician, as he'd be the first to admit, but he'd carved pipes and whistles and could blow out a few simple airs, enough perhaps for Desiree's improptu dance lessons. Besides, if he was sitting down and playing the pipe, and looking at the floor while he concentrated on his playing, he wouldn't be on his feet dancing with these lascivious libertines. That wasn't exactly forbidden but it would be a bit like laying a cake beside his dinner plate and vowing not to taste it.

Anfisa broke off the kiss just as Tim returned. He wasn't all that stealthy. Maybe he was smart enough to guess what was going on, and make enough noise not to have to see it. Or maybe he was just noisy.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

While Tim was out of the room, Anfisa on impulse laid fingers on the back of Desiree's head and leaned in for a languorous kiss. Anfisa broke off the kiss just as Tim returned. He wasn't all that stealthy.

"Ahem," I say, blushing just a bit. I'm not embarassed, but I don't think any living person could kiss Anfisa like that and not get a bit flushed. The girl knows how to stimulate one's bloodflow.

I bow to Tim as he walks in and takes a seat with his recorder. "Thank you, good sir. Okay, so since Anfisa is already here, I'll start with her. I'll lead, so put your arms around my neck - yes, like that, just a little looser - just - yes, like that good." I place one of my hands on the small of her back and the other on her upper arm.

"Give me something in three-four time," I tell Tim. "Not too fast." He obliges. Well, sort of - I think that's technically three-eight time, but he plays it slow enough for me to manage. Anfisa and I drift around the room in a lazy triangle. There really isn't much to this form aside from the arm positioning and the signals one gives while leading - a slight pressure with either hand to signal which the direction we're drifting next.

"This is called 'the lover's drape' because, well," I indicate Anfisa, who is draped across me in a fashion both sensual and a bit sleepy. "It mimics an embrace, with arms clasped about the neck," again, Anfisa is a good demonstration. She tends to hang on me a bit like this anyway when she hugs me. It's... a bit odd being the tall one. In Snamish, I'm considered short.

We drift about the room a bit more before Tim either runs out of that song or breath, I'm not sure which. I release Anfisa - she does likewise, albeit reluctantly - and curtsy to her. She notes my motion, and copys it. Good. She's always been a quick study.

I turn to Therese, smiling. "Your turn."

-- Desiree

OOC: If Tim is technically trained (ie, can read music, key signatures, etc) then I will edit to correct that fact. However, so far as I know, Tim has no formal musical training with sheet music - just experience and talent.

Edit: OOC 2: Oh, and if that wasn't clear, Desiree is teaching them some strange combination of the waltz and modern slow dancing. Since Tsuirakian culture (and to a degree, Rinkai culture) tends to be a tad anachronistic, it seemed approprate.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Bingo. I daresay Tim's village doesn't sport any full-time musicians or teachers, and even the best musicians pick it up by ear and example rather than by reading. Some doubtless play very well, if it's their principal evening hobby; in Tim's case it isn't, so he does what he can do. He sings better than he plays for sure, per his hymn-singing in Getsemiel. Most of the tunes Tim knows are probably in a five-tone scale, though I dare say Veracians have a broader range.]

Per his earlier resolution, Tim kept his gaze between his toes as he labored with the tunes - and at this talk of "lover's drape" he squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. Had he been a better musician, his agitation and faster breathing might've become apparent in his playing; as it was, the effects of his discomfort could be chalked up to mediocre musicianship. At least they're not asking me to join in, he thought, remembering to thank the Good Lord for small mercies.

[Edit: OOC2: I've been basing what Tim says about Veracian dancing on Scottish and English country dancing, as those seem to fit the culture best, and are also what I know best. 'course since some of the guards at the library Meji infiltrates are talking with Irish accents, different parts of Veracia may have the old bog stomp.]