Return to the Southern Continent

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Return to the Southern Continent

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Erm..." Tamina paused in the act of draining her glass of cider at the crashing noise. She turned and frowned with concern Khoo's compromised situation. "Did he trip? Should we help him?" She leaned backward on her stool until it started to tip and hooked her foot under the bar, she reached over and prodded the young man with a finger. "Khoo? Khoo? Khoo? Khoo? Khoo-oo? Khoo? Khoo? Khoo! Khoo!! KHOO! Don't think he's listening..."

OOC Every time Tamina does that I keep picturing this scene./OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Yeah," said Udo. "It just means we need to carry him to his cabin to help him sleep it off. At least the ship's not too far away. Can you help me?" Remembering his past training on how to get wounded off the field, he encouraged Tamina to assist him in a sort of "two-handed seat" carry technique - where they linked arms to provide a seat for the person being hauled. This was designed to provide greater comfort to the casualty when the manpower allowed it, and was definitely not just an excuse to link arms with the gorgeous young kobold.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The tilting and juggling of the improvised ride brought Khoo around quickly enough. However, not all of his brain turned back onto full function at the same time. In particular, the limbic centers had a considerable head start on the rational, reasoning parts, a fact that would have caused him considerable embarrassment if he'd been in a position to think about it.

The horizon was tilting crazily as he woke up (he considerably outweighed Tamina, after all), with no frame of reference that he could recognize. Furthermore, he obviously wasn't where he'd been when he passed out, or inside at all, or in a seat. His viscera, which remembered perfectly well the harrowing trip down to Tsuirakushita on the glider, interpreted these signals in the only "reasonable" (from a limbic perspective...) way. DANGER! DANGER! I'M FALLING! Never mind that there was no sense of weightlessness or vertical motion in the scenery; intellect hadn't yet registered any of that.

His limbic centers were well enough developed that fight-or-flight (so to speak) magic would work just fine, so he cast the first emergency-escape spell that came to mind as he sat there in the two-handed seat.

"LEVITATE!!"

And then things got really interesting.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina felt the cloth tugging out of her hands and a tingling in her senses as the waiter's spell took effect. She watched in confusion as Khoo began moving skywards.

"No!" She cried, as he cleared their grasp. "That's the wrong way!"

The kobold crouched and jumped, clearing the distance between her and the rising man and wrapping her arms around a trailing leg in an effort to pull him back to earth.

It didn't work.

"AHHH!" Was her only further comment on the subject. The pair's distance from the ground was getting uncomfortably large.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Hey, come back with our kobold!" yelled Udo, shaking his fist (and his staff, which had served as Khoo's knee support in the carry). His magic was useless here - if he tried stunning Khoo, catching Tamina alone would be painful, and the weight of both of them would be very harmful to his health. If he'd been up there with them, he could've helped her glide to the ground in his usual way - but from down here? His techniques and training didn't cover that.

But then he remembered he'd seen Drusia teleporting around when they fought the crazy half-elf in Goriel. So he called back to her, gesticulating wildly. "Hey! - uhh - help! - her back down get on the ground safe!"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Panic started to rise in Khoo's eyes. There was no way he could hold the Levitation spell much longer ... and it was getting to be rather a long way up.

He couldn't spare the energy for a long speech, but this did seem like the time for a shout back to those on the ground. "Hey, anyone down there know a Slow Fall?"

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina stifled a shriek as her grip slipped momentarily, and deposited her at Khoo's ankle with a tearing noise and a wince from the waiter as a pair of her claws punctured the skin underneath the material.

"Sorry!" She managed, casting her eyes around wildly for somewhere soft to land. The water of the ocean was too far away, no convienient cart of hay was trundling under them either. The strain on the man's face who was holding them both up told her their time was quickly running out.

With desperate creativity, her mind presented a solution.

"Khoo!" She called, forcing herself to look up. "Can help I think! Gonna... erm.. en-fooze... ahh in-fuse you with more magic! Help you hold the spell. Maybe... umm... let it go..." She winced at what she was about to suggest. "...drop some, start it 'gain, get down..." She swallowed. "...safely?"

She closed her eyes gratefully and channeled.

Tamina had infused living things with energy before, it was the principle in Killikah healing magic and enhancing the abilities of other kobolds, even so, it was a gamble trying it with a human mage in the middle of a spell.

'Oh well, here goes...'

She could only hope the effect wasn't a dire one.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

To Khoo's astonishment, Tamina's spell worked. As the Levitation was starting to wear off, he could feel energy returning to his own body. There was ample time for him to cast a Slow Fall to let them down gently.

"Whew," he breathed as soon as they were on the ground. "I think I'm going to swear off Swoggles Old Peculiar from now on..."

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

With the Slow Fall spell on, there was absolutely no need for Udo to catch Khoo and Tamina and make sure they landed upright. 'specially not with her racial talent for landing on her feet. There was certainly no need for him to give Tamina an extra squeeze afterwards. He did it anyway. Above and beyond!

"I think I'm going to swear off Swoggles Old Peculiar from now on..."

"Whoah, man!" said Udo. "I may or may not have tried some bad I-root in my day -- but that stuff takes the prize! Maybe that's why they don't have it in the upper city..."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Taina currently had nothing to add to the discussion, unless lying down and hugging the floor contributed.