Return to the Southern Continent

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Return to the Southern Continent

Post by Alberich »

Of a certainty, these riders were not Duravsky. Lord Arman might be a monster among men, at least when he thought he needed to be, but he had some gauge of the capabilities of elves - and of one elf in particular. There was no way he, or anyone on his orders, would send out a group of riders to get slaughtered for Drusia's amusement. Or, more likely, her boredom. The Gibazov might be desperate enough to try it, but their resources were stretched in more ways that one.

But quiet as they'd kept about the nature of their problems, you couldn't search every traveller on the north road for "papers" without giving others the idea. Specifically, the idea that this mystery trio had something the Gibazov wanted. Something they'd pay for, or grant massive concessions for the return of. It might even score a dynastic alliance, with a share in their famous mine for dowry...

And this is why the men of Clan Kishin were making hell-for-leather for the travelling trio, never dreaming how uttery outmatched they were. A battered, imported spyglass in the hands of their red-cloaked leader was the most advanced equipment they carried, to sweep the horizon for travellers when they came to the hilltops. Still, it was a fluke of their direction and the way they pointed the spyglass that allowed them to spot the travellers -- or at least Udo -- before they could go to ground.

"Aw, fuck," said Udo. "If we kill 'em all they'll be swarming like cockroaches. So what else can we do to get rid of 'em?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: A, if you can handle the "interactions" between the riders and Drusia/Udo/Tamina, that would be best, while I get the nasty trio into more chaos in and near town...]

Bauti marched invisibly, yet arrogantly, into Goriel, while Kurou and Goto busied themselves with defenses of the oxcart that they'd "liberated" -- defenses built around magic fearsome enough to obliterate a small army. (That was just the kind of thing that Arsoro Kurou and Haniko Goto did.) "Do you think she will survive to come back?" Kurou asked his colleague.

Goto smiled wolfishly; the prospect of an elf stumbling unaware into one of the things they'd prepared might be ... entertaining. However, business came first. "I believe so. Barbarian or not, her survival skills are considerable. We are not asking for her to be gone long." Meaning, long enough to really get her ass in a crack. "She is only to pick up supplies and a good map of the roads into the mountains, so that we can track down the people we seek." She surprised Kurou by adding, sotto voce, "Which is to say, that bastard and his various wenches."

Aha. An insight into why she hates Cleiviein so much, thought Kurou. Jealousy sounded like the main factor -- well, jealousy and ambition, although he still didn't understand how the Tsuirakuan interfered with that part of Goto's desires. That could come later. For now, he just felt that he'd been given a small insight into this woman that might prove useful. The balance of power between the two might be getting redressed somewhat. That was good. He simply smiled blandly and went back to his array of magical wards and glyphs.

All of this was happening as Peregin Bauti reached the marketplace and started looking for a map ... and other things.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"If we kill 'em all they'll be swarming like cockroaches. So what else can we do to get rid of 'em?"

"Umm..." Tamina eyed the approaching men doubtfully, even with her magic, outrunning horses wasn't something she could do for any long length of time, even less if she cast the speed spell on Udo as well so he could keep up. An alternative course of action had to be taken.

"Oh! Got an idea!" She exclaimed, as the riders became close enough to make out individual features. Without further words the kobold ran a short distance towards the men, she dropped into a predatory stance with her head low and her arms and legs spread to best show off the claws on her digits. Tamina twisted her face into an expression of animal savagery, then took a deep breath and channeled.

The spell was one of the more basic aleration techniques she'd learned from Leli under her tutlege at her village. The usual occasion to use it was when a hunting party ran across a large predator which showed no imidation at their spears and bows.

The roar which erupted from Tamina's mouth was that of a lion worked up into a killing frenzy. The volume of it stung the ears and called to primal parts in the listener's minds, calling up fears of sleek, deadly shapes charging through the dark. Coming from the normally innocent-looking kobold, it sounded positively demonic.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

The roar which erupted from Tamina's mouth was that of a lion worked up into a killing frenzy. The volume of it stung the ears and called to primal parts in the listener's minds, calling up fears of sleek, deadly shapes charging through the dark. Coming from the normally innocent-looking kobold, it sounded positively demonic.

That was... interesting. Huh.

"Did you know she could do that?" I ask Udo in passing. I don't wait for an answer - I don't know many spells aside from transposition, but I do know one helpful one. I place a hand on Udo's shoulder and cast Invisibility.

Those familiar with magic - a Tsuirakuian say - would likely see through such an amature spell. My invisibility spell is just that - it lacks the sublties that a more expert mage might attempt. However, for a group of untrained Gorielian riders, I expect it to be quite effective. And even if a spellcaster is with them, he's likely the only one who can still detect Udo and I - the others would be fighting blind.

"Don't leave my side or you'll become visible," I whisper to him - my spell isn't good enough to muffle sound, so I have to do it the old fashioned, verbal way.

-- Drusia

OOC: Sorry, been a bit busy, and honestly didn't know what to do until Tamina did her thing.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The ruse worked.

There is an old saying among those who rely on horses to make their living: "The first thing you have to remember about a horse is that it tastes good." In other words, horses are prey for large predators, and they know it, and they behave accordingly, and their riders and handlers had best be well aware of that fact.

The men of Clan Kishin may or may not have been intimidated by Tamina's amplified, predatory "roar," but their opinions on the subject didn't really matter. What mattered was that the horses found it very convincing. Almost in unison, they whinnied in panic, reared (it was a tribute to the Kishin's horsemanship that all of the riders managed to stay in the saddle), and took off in the opposite direction at a thunderous gallop.

By the time they were under control again, the Kishins had decided that they probably didn't want to tangle with the large cat after all. Besides, they weren't looking for a cat, were they? They discreetly turned off on another road, leaving the traveling trio's route unblocked. [OOC: In other words, feel free to beat feet for the travel platform. /OOC:]

------------

It didn't take long for the invisible Bauti to reach the marketplace; the only real challenge was dodging pedestrians to keep them from being startled by contact with something they couldn't see. Finding a vendor that had maps didn't take much longer, and she was about to shoplift one -- the circumstances didn't allow for by-the-book payment, not to mention that there was pleasure in pulling off such a petty theft under these ridiculous humans' noses -- when her attention was distracted by a conversation a few feet away.

Two young women, obviously geteroi although an elf wouldn't know that, were gossiping in front of a counter full of cosmetics.

"Have you met that new, half-elf getera yet?" one asked the other. "Rumor is she's incredibly hot. All the men of our clan are practically creaming themselves looking forward to getting a night with her."

The second girl giggled. "I bet. Dina told me about her." Her smile got a wicked edge to it. "She said the same thing, but she said she'd heard that her tastes were ... a little different." The giggle also got wicked and breathy, but only for a moment, then her expression cleared. "I think she left town, though. Dina said she was with the new clan that was going up into the mountains to do business with the Gibazovs."

The first girl shuddered. "The mountains! And the Gibazovs? Can you imagine being paired up with one of them at their awful mine? Why, I bet they don't even have perfume!"

The second girl nodded. "Yes, better her than me, that just wouldn't be fun at all. And speaking of perfume, what do you think of this scent here? They say it's made of lotuses imported all the way from Veracia..."

The gossiping continued, but Bauti wasn't listening any more. If she'd been visible, half of the people in the marketplace would have flinched from the leer on her face -- and in her mind. Well, well, well, she thought. Rarely does one get such a chance to combine business and pleasure...

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina watched the horsemen leave, keeping her scowl until they were gone. Then she turned, giggled and clapped her hands together happily.

"Yay!" She elaborated. "Which way we go-... oh..." She looked at the empty space where Drusia and Udo had been moments before.

"Where'd you go?" She asked with a confused look.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Peregin Bauti was feeling pretty smug when she returned to where the oxcart was hidden (and ferociously defended). She'd succeeded in pilfering a map that would get them on the road into the mountains, and also learned that there was something going on in town -- she couldn't tell exactly what -- that sounded like a conflict, something that they'd want to be aware of as they traveled. And of course, there was the little bonus about the Errant ...

However, once Arsoro Kurou had conducted her through the cart's defenses (she had to admit, feeble human magic or not, some of that looked like it could do some damage), the picture changed. Haniko Goto was sitting in the wagon, hunched over a strange-looking apparatus that Bauti recognized as part of the security system. "A pity your -- efforts were for naught," Goto said. "Our quarry has moved. Here, look."

Magic crackled around the instrument, and an arrow attached to it pointed southeast.

"That's where your elven colleague is," she continued. "No fix --"

"She's no colleague of mine," Bauti interrupted.

Goto's withering glare was enough to make even an elf uncomfortable. "As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted: no fix yet on Cleiviein. Apparently they are no longer traveling together. The elf must be closer."

Kurou looked all but ready to explode in anger. "Then let's get ready to go get her."

[OOC: No reason for Drusia, Tamina and Udo to hang around and wait for them, obviously. However, since I'm not sure what the big picture is for the Eli-hunt, I have to leave it up to you three to advance things with them. Have at it! :idea: ]

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Yay!" She elaborated. "Which way we go-... oh..." She looked at the empty space where Drusia and Udo had been moments before.
"Where'd you go?" She asked with a confused look.

"We're right here," I say, letting the invisibility spell drop. "I figured your roar would be more convincing if there weren't two travelers standing about looking unconcerned. Besides, if things had turned combative, it would have given us a marked advantage."

I pointedly let go of Udo's hand. No need to keep him close now that we're not hiding anymore.

-- Drusia
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina let out an excited yelp as Drusia and Udo blinked back into sight. The kobold stifled a giggle as she saw the look of disapointment on her knight protector's face as the pretty elf let go of his hand.

"Was confuzzled." She explained. "Smelled you, couldn't see you! Killikah usually just hide if they don't want peoples to see 'em. Sooo...."

She turned on the spot in a surprisingly graceful manner, and scanned the horizon around them in a squinting stare. She stopped the spin as she faced her companions.

"Forgot to ask... how we... umm.. getting to Lorrel 'slacty? Flying? Walking? Horseys? Dropla*? We seeing anything nice on the way?" Tamina's eyes were wide and hopeful as she asked the last question.

*- A hairy, shovel-headed, rhino-sized creature from the southern continent. Typically ambushed from treetop and then ridden standing up by male kobolds in spectacular displays of bravado and bone-breaking stupidity.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Did you know she could do that?"

Udo's answer had been - "She's always full of surprises!" - as was the simple truth, and he loved them all, and who wouldn't? "Me, I love it. Those guys were exaggerating her into some kind of giant monsters. But when you try to exaggerate about Tamina, it turns out to be true..."

If the magical defenses absolutely required the hot elf chick to get up close to him and cover them with magic, well, then, that was a sacrifice that would just have to be made.

Once the horsemen were scared off, he was glad to let Drusia answer the tricky question about how they were moving. He was just enjoying life now.

[OOC: Was unexpectedly un-internetted for a few days - am back now. Once week 'til I'm sliced. Which will either mean more gaming or less, and I suspect "more."]