Kiyoka, Douaga and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Kiyoka, Douaga and beyond

Post by Drusia »

Did I miss why a twelve year old orphan is coming with us? Apparently. Everyone else introduces themselves - and Anfisa introduces me well enough, so I simply nod. I am so tired of justifying myself to these Luminosan types. Rose I can handle - she seems to understand me pretty well at this point. But now I have to get used to some kid who was raised (and thus probabably brainwashed all his life) by the church? Really? Ugh.

I mean, he seems nice enough. So did Tim until he didn't.

Rose and Argus talk about settling down - sending a strange pang through me - and then Rose says something about 'our church' and Argus nods - and then tenses. Argus isn't a Luminosan. He might be more comfortable around them than I, but he believes in their faith no more than I do.

I'd assumed they'd worked that out already. Lillith and Brad certainly had (although to what arrangement, I never learned). Then again, I suppose Rose and Argus haven't been together - romantically - that long. I helped get them together after all. In the first blush of love, it might not have occured to them to talk about the future that way.

I'd like to help steer the conversation back to something more palatable since this is a matter they should discuss in private, but I honestly can't think of anything. I've been rather out of sorts lately and quite wrapped up in my own issues and haven't been paying enough attention to my companions. It seems that needs to change.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Actually, that conversation between Rose and Argus was intended to be very private, out at the vineyard while everyone else was packing up. However, they'd undoubtedly have said, or at least implied, similar things when Desiree and others were around, so it's all good.

So shall we move on to Douaga? Or is there anything left that people specifically want to address before we go? I'm kinda anxious to get on with it, myself. (Rose and Argus would have a lot more to talk about, but he's already picked up on the main thing, namely that Rose is beginning to have ... misgivings about some church-related things.)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

(OOC: If you want, GB, we can just have the conversation in background noise. They could talk, while this thread moves on.)
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, we'll finish the session with Rose and Argus elsewhere. So to get going to Douaga:]

The airship droned through the night, most of its crew and passengers asleep, as Sister Rose pondered the events of the day.

She was gratified that the crew weren't picky about who was sharing a cabin with whom. Simply put, they had other things to worry about. A squad of regular Veracian military had flown with the airship, making accommodations tight; Therese, Desiree and Anfisa had to share a single cabin [OOC: No comment here, nope, none at all, over to you three... /OOC], while young Audie found himself wedged in with one of the younger soldiers in the unit. [OOC: And go wherever you want to with that one, too. /OOC] That left her and Argus in exactly the situation she'd hoped for.

However, there wouldn't be time for cuddling tonight. She still had to open and read the orders that had been given her by the mission. They seemed to have a magical seal on them in addition to the more obvious wax one; interesting, and an indication that they'd come from fairly high places. "Let's see what these are all about," she said to Argus, and then she pressed a finger onto the seal. Magic flared, the envelope opened, and she extracted the letters within and began to read.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

(OOC: Tumbleweed rolls by.)
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Sorry, got flattened by respiratory crud before Christmas and am still sleep-deprived from coughing, in which circumstance I don't write well. I was leaving it open as to whether there would be any shenanigans aboard the ship, but in the absence of same, one small thing to keep it moving and repel the tumbleweeds:]

Sister Rose frowned as she read the orders. "I don't understand this," she said. "As I expected, a party from the mission in Douaga will meet us when we get there. In fact, we'll be mooring at the mission. The city doesn't have anything like an airship terminal. But it says we'll then be guided to the village where Dalton was kidnapped by the, quote, 'mushroom men.' Any idea what that means?"

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus frowned. "People who wear mushrooms as part of their garb? Drug-addicts? Some sort of strange sentient mushroom? I'm drawing a blank here."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Haven't the slightest idea," Sister Rose answered Argus. "I've never heard of 'Mushroom Men' before. And here's another thing. It says to beware the 'Tigers of Douaga.' Sounds like a resistance group or something, but it also says they weren't involved in the kidnapping." Her face grew contemplative for a brief minute. "Tigers ... catmen ... you don't suppose that could possibly be a reference to whatever tribe that Tamina person comes from, do you?"

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Could be," Argus mused. "Pity she's not with us right now."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Okay, time to revisit some unfinished business from earlier...]

"Yes, Tamina would be good to have on this outing," Sister Rose agreed. "She knows the lay of the land, anyway. Unfortunately, she's not here, so we'll have to do the best we can."

She resumed reading, sniffing disapprovingly at the rest of the orders, which were largely an exercise in belaboring the obvious. Really, they didn't need to be told to be prepared for tropical climate, and tropical diseases; Brother Miguel had told them all that, and they were already equipped accordingly. Codes for establishing bona fides also seemed a bit out of place. On the one hand, there wasn't a place in Douaga for an airship to dock other than at the temple itself; even the Tsuirakuans had rented space there for mooring airships bearing trade delegations and so on. On the other, how many airships bearing the insignia of the Veracian military would be coming to town the next day?

But she didn't have to read much farther before seeing something pertaining to that makeshift airship terminal that caused her eyes to widen in surprise.

"Argus --" she said, her voice catching oddly. "Check my memory here. What was the name of that airship your daughter was on when she met us in Getsemiel?"