Kiyoka, Douaga and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Kiyoka, Douaga and beyond

Post by Graybeard »

As she stood listening to this "Minister Musoke" showing what looked like out-and-out obeisance to Desiree, it occurred to Sister Rose that the group had, after all, bought and brought with them a Tsuirakuan translation device for situations like this. Hoping it wouldn't look out of line, she reached into her travel bag, found the gadget, and turned it on. However, she'd only caught a few words, which sounded just as she expected them to [OOC: Feel free to have at it, Drusia... /OOC], before she felt a tap on her shoulder, and heard a man clearing his throat. It was the Orthodox member of the pair that had met them at the ramp, and he didn't look happy. "Sister, a word, please," he said, his voice cold.

Uh, oh. She stepped quietly back up a few steps, away from the group, but not before flashing a quick mental message to Argus. <"If you can find a way to eavesdrop, please do. I don't think I like this.">

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Well, that was interesting," Argus commented out loud. <"No problem. I can just read the vibrations. Why are they so upset over magic that influences animals? It's nothing that strange.">
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Oh good. Mr. Snake decided to go nap elsewhere. Good - defending him would have been fine, but this area is a little tight. I'd have actually had an easier time in that case if it had decided to ride on my shoulders. I could have even milked it for venom - I bet the locals would have appreciated it, since it could be used to make an antivenom for anyone unfortunate enough to actually get bitten. Sadly, it would have to be a local since I kind of suck at actual herb craft like that.

he threw himself on the ground at her feet, assumed a posture of complete submission, bowing prayerfully before her, and began to mutter in a language that Rose had never heard, but whose tones suggested nothing less than outright worship of the priestess who now loomed over him.

I blink in surprise.

"Um... can I help you?" I ask doubtfully.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC-- on the road, more later...

Musoke looked up, adoration in his face.

''I am your faithful servant, Priestess."

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Musoke looked up, adoration in his face.
''I am your faithful servant, Priestess."

"That's... nice," I say slowly. "Um... why are you on the ground like that?"

-- Desiree

OOC: Understood. Actually, short declarative replies work rather well ATM.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, D, but the "declarative sentences" being spoken to Rose at the moment don't fit the model so well...]

The Douagan scrambled to his feet, but continued to make obvious gestures of obeisance to Desiree, now mumbling to himself in a language none of the travelers (since Sister Rose had had to discontinue use of the translation gadget to talk to the priest) could understand. Then he switched to Veracian. "Great are your powers, priestess! I merely offer you all the worship that my unworthy self can summon." His face seemed to glow, and it wasn't merely the proximity of one of the luminescent fungi that was causing the effect.

-------------

Meanwhile, Rose was getting an earful from Father Morton, the Orthodox member of the pair who had met them ... and that part was definitely in language she could understand, if not particularly appreciate.

"It appears that Minister Musoke is taking an unhealthy interest in the heathen woman who is traveling with you," the priest was hissing in her ear, his level a whisper but his tones reminiscent of the snake. "I warn you, Sister: we have gone to considerable lengths to cultivate this man as at the minimum, a contact among the godless of this country, and hopefully, a convert. Do not allow her to mess this up."

Stung, Rose turned to the man to remonstrate -- how dare he talk like that, he's supposed to be helping us here -- but by the time she could get words out, Morton had bustled forward to take Minister Musoke's arm.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Great are your powers, priestess! I merely offer you all the worship that my unworthy self can summon." His face seemed to glow.

Well this is weird. "My powers aren't that great," I say, rather inanely. I mean, they aren't, not compared to some of the other people with me. Then again, probably best not to mention that.

And anyway, it's nice to be appreciated. He even called me a priestess, my proper title. The worship thing is a little weird, but maybe if I act like a priestess rather than a goddess he'll start treating me like a priestess.

"May the blessing of Anilis be upon you," I say, leaning up to give him a kiss on his forehead. I put just the faintest tingle of power into the blessing. Maybe it will bring him luck. Or maybe it will just make his skin tingle for a few minutes, I really have no idea. I could give him a fertility blessing, but I don't want to assume that he wants children (for that matter, he might not have a partner to have children with). I suppose I could ask, but....

Morton had bustled forward to take Minister Musoke's arm.

I'm sensing tension here - don't need Rose's magic for that one - so I smile generally at everyone and ask "Shall we be on our way now?"

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The smile that spread across Musoke's face at Desiree's kiss went well beyond merely blissful. "Anilis, my lady?" he breathed. "Is this your god? How may I worship him?" He didn't get time to hear a direct answer, however, as Father Morton's pressure on his arm increased, and the group got moving downward again.

"Shall we be on our way now?"

"Yes, let's," Sister Rose said, breathing an audible sigh of relief, but noticing the reaction that the name "Anilis" had caused on the faces of the two churchmen. Father Barnaby, the Reformed priest, merely showed a momentary puzzled frown, as though the name of a previously unknown false god, but one that might be inimical to the Veracian Church, had been spoken. Orthodox Father Morton, however, had a quick flash of surprise, and Rose caught his eyes flicking to Desiree's ears for a second or two, sufficient to deduce their half-elven shape despite Desiree's usual effort to conceal them ... and then he produced a subtle nod, and his face composed into diplomatic calm. He's been to the Heretic Knowledge Vault, Rose guessed, and he knows the significance of Anilis. That realization is calming him down. I may have misjudged this man. She kept her own face pleasantly neutral as the group spiraled down through the tree trunk, toward a platform that apparently had a door leading to the outside.

----------------

Meanwhile, as he searched for Fayna, Harker was finding that the hundred-pace snake wasn't the only kind of serpent to be found in Douaga ... and that some others were larger. Much larger.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Crapcrapcrapcrap," Harker panted, running at top speed from THE BIGGEST FRIGGIN SNAKE OH WEAVE.

Plan: get to Fayna. Have Fayna bast snake WHY WAS IT SO FAST YET SO BIG OH WEAVE.

So it was that Harker was rapidly becoming acquainted with the wonders of the Southern continent's reptilian fauna. He'd want to make a drawing on the subject except for RUNNING NOW OH GEEZ.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

A door, set in the side of another large tree (albeit not nearly on the scale of the airship dock), opened somewhere behind Harker, revealing a large man in what appeared to be religious vestments. A shouted conversation with someone beyond the door ensued. The man then turned to where the serpent was running down Harker. His words, in a language unknown in the north, couldn't be recognized, but his tone was clear enough:

"Rover! Bad snake!! HEEL!!"

-------------

The two clerics pulled themselves together as the group reached the door at the bottom of the tree. (Actually, Sister Rose wondered whether they'd really reached the bottom; the descent of the hollow trunk didn't seem like it had covered enough ground.) Father Morton strode to the front of the group and drew himself up. "Welcome, visitors, to the holy mission and temple of Our Lord Luminosita in Douaga." He gestured, and the door opened.

-------------

OOC: This thread is getting rather long. How about if people react to this, and then we open a new one? Timing seems good, as we're about to head off into Douaga ... and, as advertised, beyond.