The Southern Continent (part 2)

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: The Southern Continent (part 2)

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"They occupied a temple three miles to the south less than a month ago, before their leader fled. That would be the best place to start a search." The Elder answered.

"I can lead you there!" Tamina declared. "Gotta be careful though, didn't see all of it last time, might be something bad still lurking in there."

OOC Just seeing if Dru has anything to add before moving on./OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo liked the sound of that. Temples were just the place for temple furnishings, temple treasuries, temple virgins...They'd "occupied" it, eh? But that meant it might belong to somoene else...so he asked:

"Was it always a Ralkin temple, or was it dedicated to something else? And - does anyone around here know the place from before they took over?"

Udo wasn't what you'd call devout, but like many Tsuirakuans he took an eclectic view of religion - if a province, or a mountain, or for that matter a tree had its little guardian god, that was fine by him, and he'd try not to be too rude. If this place was dedicated to Parfumo, the God of You're Not Farting In My Temple and Getting Away With It, better to know that before going inside. And if someone around here could map the place out or even just give them a few pointers, well, then, a little intel was better than none.

So, these evil, rich Ralkin cultists liked to turn people into marionettes? He wanted to turn them into puppets. The other kind of puppets, the kind with a big fist shoved up their ass. That'd show 'em!
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

OCC: Sorry, I don't have time to post right now, just saying quickly that I'm alive and that I'm reading and that I plan to post tomorrow.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"It's very, very old." Leli said. "Older than my peoples presense in this area. It's almost certainly of elven origin."

"The Killikah don't know much 'bout elfy Gods." Tamina added. "Didn't see any statues inside the temple bit I went to, think the Ralkin got rid of them."
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Once everyone was seated Leli turned her attention to Drusia. "I imagine an elf's business here must involve the half-elf leader who escaped our last confrontation? Aleron Harland, I believe his name was."

Aleron. So it is him. But why? No, scratch that, I almost understand why. And yet - why attack friends when there are enemies to fight? Testing the way? Preparing? That casual disregard for life - that's the way Errants behave.

"They occupied a temple three miles to the south less than a month ago, before their leader fled. That would be the best place to start a search." The Elder answered.
"I can lead you there!" Tamina declared. "Gotta be careful though, didn't see all of it last time, might be something bad still lurking in there."
"It's very, very old." Leli said. "Older than my peoples presense in this area. It's almost certainly of elven origin."
"The Killikah don't know much 'bout elfy Gods." Tamina added. "Didn't see any statues inside the temple bit I went to, think the Ralkin got rid of them."

I've been too quiet - both trying to pick up the local language, and contemplating Aleron's involvement in the Ralkin. Is he really the leader, or is he being used like Eli was used? Part of me wants to believe that - to believe that he isn't the archetect behind all this.

"Yes, Aleron... and Eli," I reply at last. "They were both friends once. And then... I lost them to darkness. I don't know if they chose their path, or if they were manipulated, but either way it is too late for them now. And, if I find that someone or something did this to them, then it must be destroyed as well."

As for the Elven temple - I suppose we'll see. This far south, it was likely built by either the Cimmerii or the Rinkai - we're near enough to the border that I'd have to consult a map to know for sure. Actually, even then, that border changed a few times back before I was born, so it would depend on when it was built as much as where. Either way, the most likely explanation for the lack of art is that the priestesses cleared the place out before traveling to Praenubilus Astu after the war. We took as much of our culture and art with us as we could before resigning ourselves to that damn cave.

I take a deep breath, enjoying the scent of moving water in the air. It makes me feel a little better.

-- Drusia
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"So," Udo asked the elder, "Has there anything been going on around that temple lately?" And to Tamina - "And could you draw us a map of the part you saw later?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Khoo finally saw something useful he could do. "If it would help, I can levitate for a minute or so at a time, and try to draw an aerial plan of the place."

Of course, it had already occurred to him that a levitating human in hostile territory would draw fire like an incoming dragon ... but for that part, he had a plan.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"You can?" said Udo. "That's bad-ass! But I wouldn't do that just to recce. Since we're in a jungle, better to take advantage of the natural cover as long as we can, but pull that card out when the time is right."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"It's been quiet since we took the fight to them, thank the spirits. It seems Aleron is long since gone."

"I can 'member the way Udo." Tamina said, in reply to his question and Khoo's suggestion, and rose to leave. "But, you if want we can stop and check on the way Khoo. Should get going."

"Be careful, Tamina."

The native bid her teacher farewell as the companions left the hut with a promise and a brief embrace. As they retraced their route, the younger kobold couldn't help but notice the dark look on Drusia's face. With more pressing matters at hand, it seemed comforting words would have to wait til a later time if the chance came at all. The group descended to the ground floor of the village in relative silence. Once they were there, Tamina pointed to a rough path leading out of the settlement.

"That way." She declared, pointing a claw. "Shouldn't take too long to...."

"Tammy! Tam!"

The kobold turned and saw Alleece running towards the foursome, she skidded to a halt in a shower of soil.

"<Where'd you think you're going? You only just got here!>"

"<Well... erm... to the... temple.>"

The young kobold folded her arms and spoke in quiet tones.

"<You're going after the Ralkin.>" It was a statement, not a question. Tamina nodded in reply

"<Take me with you.>"

"<It might be dangerous.>"

"<I owe it to Tallah.>"

She couldn't argue with that, nor did she stop the other kobold from striding over confidently to the companions and greeting them.

"I'm Alleece, a friend of Tamina's." She said, in thickly accented, but understandable human speech. "I'll be accompanying you on your errand."

"<You really don't have to risk your life, Alleece.>"

"<Someone has to watch over the student.>" She replied, without turning, although a smile crept onto her face. "<Besides, it'll give us a chance to catch up.>"

Tamina sighed and waved to her companions. A minute later the group were well on the path, a minute after that the jungle swallowed them.

OOC Metaphorically speaking, of course.OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo liked being swallowed. He liked having another killikah gah with the group, too, and wouldn't have minded another elf, either, if she was hot skilled and competent. At first he had just a few questions, like whether Drusia knew anything for them to expect in one of these old elf temples - but as they got closer he got quieter, watching for new dangers and eager for adventure.