Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I've added a post detailing their assests in the discussion thread. You should know that the Ralkin aren't in direct mind-control of the Black Guard or Logan's traders and office people, just a few key people who, in turn, pull the strings of their subordinates, so there'd be no mass brainwashing like the eisenfaust is saying. Also Weatherby's manor (not Logan's officially) was located near the waterfront, not out of town. /OOC
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

I quickly return Angrist's note, erased but for one word, and turn to listen to the intel. Most of it is irrelivant to me, but finally he gets to the good stuff.

"And it seems this priest goes out every afternoon to visit with these fellows, and he makes a habit of meeting up with this Captain Eli Haverum you're all so keen to meet. And then these two go off together to a private location, which we conjecture is connected with this Aleron and this magic altar.
"Now that we know about this mind control magic you've been telling us about, which kind of fits what we've been seeing around town, what they're hoping to accomplish is pretty obvious, to start infiltrating the Veracian Church from here, as a major step up in their expansionary type plans. But that also gives us a lead on where their headquarters actually is. If you want to find this Eli and this Aleron, and chop the head off the shnooks while we go after the body, all you gotta do is wait 'til tonight and Follow That Priest."

"'Remove the head and the body dies,'" I say, quoting an actual elven proverb. "Although, from the way you said that, am I to assume that you plan to be elsewhere? So far as I know, Eli and Aleron are the only Errants present. Why would you waste your time with the body when the Errants are the head?"

Unless there are other Errants in the organization, that is. Hadn't heard about any, but perhaps I've been misinformed. Or maybe he plans to use me as a distraction and come in after me? That isn't going to happen. If he wants to play the bait, fine, but I work best as the quiet assassin rather than the loud distraction.

-- Drusia
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Well," said the avuncular Eisenfaust chief, "in this world, there's what you call Errants, and what we call Irritants. And I figure you don't want these Irritants showing up to make trouble just when you're letting those, ah, Errants" -- he wasn't really up on elven race terminology -- "letting them know they don't need to keep breathing on your account. 'cos they're gonna be kinda busy with other matters."

He also didn't add his other concern - to make sure that the Black Guard mercenary army, being gathered in one place and rapidly being equipped to the highest standard in Farrel, didn't decide to take advantage of the situation, form themselves into a new mob with new leaders, and take over the old fashioned way, as Farrelian mercenaries had been doing for time out of mind. They didn't need to wipe out every last Guard -- far from it; that fight-to-the-last-man stuff was for the birds -- but they did need to show that there was no power vacuum in this part of Farrel, so the leaderless ex-guards would seek out sunnier shores. Or new employment.

[OOC: Edited other post to fit with Jack's]

[OOC2: I don't know whether the Eisenfaust are yet aware of Jade's involvement with the Ralkin.]

[OOC3: This guy's an NPC and I really don't mind if someone else gives him some dialogue here - he might for example offer a separate mission to anyone who is not going to be on the main errant push.]
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"I'm going." Tamina said simply. "Have to face Aleron. Got to do it for the lost."

She made herself meet Drusia's eyes after her declaration, remembering what the elf had said about her and Jargalan facing the Ralkin leader alone.

"Not gonna argue about this." Her tone was gentle, but firm.

"There's one other thing." The Eisenfaust leader continued. "Their financial frontman is making a foray into Port politics. He'll be making an address at the central square at midday, doubtless to a large crowd of well-wishers to thank him for his recent charity-" At this the man made sarcastic air quotes. "-it's likely most of the bigwigs in his organization will be there. I don't know if there are other errants in this Aleron's group, but that would be your best place to check. A rapidly expanding military is enough to deal with without further surprises."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"But they've got magic to detect elves," said Jargalan. "Don't ask me how I know. I just do. Also, they're expecting some of us. They're even handing out pictures like these." He handed Drusia and Tamina sample unflattering sketches of themselves and Jamie, without revealing that these were his own "interpretations" of the Ralkin originals. "By the way, is this redhead girl around? They seem to have some respect for her abilities."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina had frozen involuntarily at the sight of Jaime's picture, and awaited the eisen-leader's reply with her breath caught in her throat.

"No." He said. "No word from the chaos-magnet, much to everyone's relief."

"You sure there's no way to go?" Tamina asked, now frowning at the savage animal which was supposed to be her snarling back from the sketch. "Somebody non-elf hide somewhere maybe? People don't kill people during speeches... erm... do they?"
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Around here?" said Udo. "Yeah, they kill people during just about anything. But if you can get me a new disguise, I'll go." The enemy hadn't actually seen him last time, far as he knew, so maybe he didn't need that much disguising at that, but this might be a handy way to get hold of some pants without raiding a local washline.

[OOC: Far as I'm concerned, if you want to write the political rally scene with Udo watching, feel free to move him there & do it.]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Khoo would not be enthusiastic about going to a political rally, to put it mildly. He's been indoctrinated with the idea that such things in other countries can turn xenophobic, particularly against Tsuirakuans ... and it's probably not an unrealistic concern. Any ideas what else he might do (with or without others) while this part of things is going on?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Place orders for raw ingredients with the Eisenfaust to make some Khoo-bombs! There's an altar needs blowing up, and if he knows how to make any other special effects toys, I think he can liven up the hot gang war in memorable ways. And all his friends can cheer him on from a suitable distance. And if the "party favors" are made with ingredients from Rabbitfoot's shop, they might be this side of psychedelic.]
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I'll try to get the rally scene written today. I did the first half last night but the bloody computer ate it. 40 minutes work down the tube :(/OOC

The scene in the central square as midday approached was a crowded, but organised one. People were sat to capacity on the stones benches set before the podium where the town benefactor was about to speak, and around them and behind were the tightly pressed crowd of latecomers, sweating in the growing heat. The half-elf captain sensed the attentive vibe of the citizens, he noted the children perched on shoulders as if a parade were about to pass, the drinks, purchased from the stalls from the visiting Brambrook merchants being drained noisily as Logan's wagon turned into the street.

The businessman's people were out in force to add the official nature of the occasion, along with the latest investor, John Mirrilum, who'd arrived in the company of several wealthy-looking men and women that Logan's trader Corningstone had informed him were members of the City's Council. Myra had listened in to the short man's breathless explanations with derision written on her face before he'd returned to one of the seats lined up behind the wooden platform.

"They don't look like anything special to me."

"Well, they can get our cash cow into the most influential room in the city. So play nice."

The Black Guard, sans their commanding officers, had spread out to the edge of the gathered people. Units of men stood on stand-by near exits and vantage points around the area. Even so, the location wasn't exactly a secure one. The wagon rolled to a halt behind the podium, the conversation of the crowd dropped to a murmur.

"Someone might take a shot at him. Exposed like this." The bandit whispered.

"Then we'll just have to stop them." The half-elf replied.

OOC I'll expand or post more later. Feel free to add an establishing post for Udo if you like Al./OOC