Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters

Post by Alberich »

"How are we going to find Aleron? Ask Council Boy?"

Udo smiled and tapped his whore's-button token. "We ask our new friends in the Eisenfaust, after I meet 'em tonight. They've had this town sewn up a while. They just need some extra juice to take him down!"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

That noon:

"Ah! Your daughter's violin is ready, Mrs. Wachiel," Carlos smiled to the attractive young mother standing at his door. "If you come into my workshop, I'll show you what I did with it and you can give it a test play." He pulled a violin case out of a cabinet.

Moments later, as they were safely behind closed doors, he opened the case to reveal a small instrument that had a magical aura about it. "Annabelle, that was a weird one," he said. "Listen." He plucked the G string while pressing an inconspicuous stud on the neck of the instrument, and rather than emitting a musical note, it played back the entire conversation he'd had with "Ross."

"Jamie," Annabelle breathed as a hissing sound signified the erasure of the recording. "You think he actually knew something about her? We've lost contact with that dingbat."

Carlos considered. "I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. I'd judge that some name dropping was going on, to try to get our interest."

A dry chuckle from Annabelle. "That he did."

Carlos looked wistfully at the Tsuiraku-made magical violin. "I assume Elke is going to want to know about this. I wish this thing didn't automatically erase after replay; it would be best if she could hear the guy's actual words. Can't be done, unfortunately." They both knew that the main function of this gadget was to surreptitiously gather information that might be handy for blackmail, a function it had discharged several times for "clients" of the Eisenfaust. The erasure was a security feature designed to hide the evidence if Lorrel's laughable "police force" came to investigate.

Annabelle shrugged. "Wouldn't really matter. Elke has gone on a trip somewhere and left me in charge. She says she'll be gone at least two weeks. No idea what's on her mind."

Carlos chortled. "Honeymoon? She doesn't seem the type." Annabelle's wry grin said she felt the same way. However, they both knew that the Eisenfaust boss didn't necessarily confide everything in her underlings ... although they would have been horrified if they had known what Elke was up to on this trip (and Elke would have killed them for that knowledge).

"Anyway, here's your niece's violin," the instrument maker continued, producing the repaired instrument (it really had had a broken string). "I'm here if you need me." The Eisenfaust lieutenant left, wondering exactly what to do about this "Jamie" reference and how to turn it to her advantage.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"They've had this town sewn up a while. They just need some extra juice to take him down!"

"That's good news. But umm... getting our juice into the Port could be tricky. Just hope no-one recognizes me. Don't want to end up in a cage again."

With the meeting concluded and the day approaching mid-afternoon, Captain Haverum had departed Logan's financial district headquarters with a final message passed to a runner to take to the young Priest who'd joined their cause. Tim had shown himself to be a quick study under the old half-elf's tutelege the day before, and Aleron had expressed his wishes to bring Tim back the following night.

In the meantime, there was work to be done.

He received a report earlier from the dock patrols that all the scheduled ships from the southern continent had arrived for the day, there had been no sign of Drusia or any of her companions on the Black Guard's hitlist. It was reassuring news, but Eli had stressed the need for continued vigilance on the matter, much as he stressed it to the men who were currently in his company.

"Keep the wagon guarded at all times, especially if this weaponsmith turns out to have something of value."

They were travelling eastwards on the road out of the city. Eli, deciding that caution would be the rule of thumb until a few of the Ralkin's enemies were buried in the earth, had taken a full ten man squad with him as well as one of Logan's best traders. A weasely-looking man by the name of Corningstone. He was, however, an excellent man with numbers and fought to the penny when it came to acquiring his employer what he wanted. The Black guard Captain rode alongside the wagon with the middle-aged man in as the countryside came into view.

"I still can't believe Lord Mirrilum placed so much of his fortune at Mr Logan's disposal." The trader exclaimed, his professional enthusiasm grating a little on the soldier's nerves. "That must have been quite the negotiation he pulled off."

"It was something to see, alright." Eli agreed, and on that score he was telling the truth. A scratch from The Needle of the Eye was a facinating sight to watch. Eli found the energy bleeding from the tip of the blade into the wounded victim and wrapping itself around their frontal lobe particulary interesting to witness. "Is there any more information on the man we're going to see?"

"Woman." Corningstone corrected. "Rumour is she's a talented worker, based somewhere in Rinkaiel."

"That's a hell of a trek to come all the way here."

"Perhaps she's seeking contacts in a foreign land." The thin man shrugged.

"Or perhaps she's on the run from something." The half-elf muttered. "The important thing to have a word with this young lady before she gets to the Port and other... less scrupulous people get to look at her merchandise."

"If our estimates are correct she'll be passing through Logan's Rest around early evening."

"Then let's hope they are correct." He said, turning his attention back toward the horizon.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"That's good news. But umm... getting our juice into the Port could be tricky. Just hope no-one recognizes me. Don't want to end up in a cage again."

"Oh," said Udo, "I don't think we should take you into town yet - not 'til we've got our allies and are ready to strike. If the Ralkin see a kobold, or an elf, heading into town, they'll know just what's going down. Better fix it up first, with a rendezvous and all, and then it's them that's going down!" He began looking around for elements of a new costume for tonight's foray into town. That blanket, that bandolier, that pistol belt - too bad there wasn't a hat. Then he could be really inconscpicuous!
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"If... you're sure." Tamina said uncertainly. "Hate you taking a risk like this, I feel useless stuck out here."

OOC Is anyone heading back with Udo?/OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Jack Rothwell wrote:"If... you're sure." Tamina said uncertainly. "Hate you taking a risk like this, I feel useless stuck out here."

OOC Is anyone heading back with Udo?/OOC
Khoo would, if anyone else is going. I'm going to be a bit intermittent through the weekend, so just drag him along...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Browncoat
Errant Scholar

Post by Browncoat »

While Udo was looking for more props, Angrist was doing the same. The mention of a fortuneteller had piqued his interest. He hadn't been in the area before and was reasonably sure that word of his appearance hadn't gotten out yet so he didn't need much. A bit of the leftover wax from his false ears smeared in the right places made for some fake scar tissue. A strip of cloth rolled in the dirt made for an eye-patch. Finally, Angrist borrowed some ink to write on his fingers. On one hand he wrote 'love' and on the other he wrote 'hugs'. When he hunched his shoulders and scowled, he looked just like any other bar patron better left alone.

[OOC: In case you forgot, Angrist normally wears a hat to hide his ears. Since he's using fake ears right now, he'd be fine letting Udo borrow it. Not sure what my weekend is going to be like, but Angrist doesn't talk much anyway]
They kicked me out of the asylum. I miss the jello.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Looks like it's just you and me." Tamina said to Drusia, as the men were getting ready to leave (OOC Going off what Grey said about Khoo./OOC). "Should... umm... keep practising."

Eli hadn't been to the trading post before, his work within the city had kept him tied up for weeks, so he was pleasantly surprised at the sight as the first chimneys of the highway settlement came into view.

There was a cleanliness to the place the half-elf hadn't expected. The stalls and buildings were of simple, but sturdy design, widely spaced to allow the maximum of traffic through the settlement, and there was a lot to cater for. The half-elf picked out traders for every reasonable need a man could have. There were enough fur, grain, and timber merchants passing through or plying trade to put an average village to shame. And the sizeable bar on it's central street was no doubt the grease that kept the wheels turning.

"I heard Logan took over ownership of his former partner's shares shortly after this place was built. Seems a man would be a maniac to cash out on a place like this." Eli directed the statement at Corningstone. He knew he was deliberately poking a stick at the issue of some of the more unscrupulous things Lucas was rumoured (although never, ever proven) to have been involved in, but the fun of figuring out the skinny man's level of denial about the evil bastard he was working for was worth bringing up the topic.

"As Mr Logan explained to his employees, Mr Devive and Mr Weatherby felt their interests lay elsewhere."

"'Elsewhere' where exactly?"

"Northwards, so I heard. There are many opportunities for men of their vision."

"I'm sure." Eli snapped his riens and bullied his horse through a pair of slow moving pedestrians, ignoring their cries of surprise. "Onto other matters, how are we going to find the weaponsmith in this crowd?"

The question had barely left the Black Guard Captain's mouth when a scruffy teenage boy exited the bar at a run and made a beeline for the armed men. He skidded to a halt with a gasp to catch his breath.

"Inside sir." He croaked in the broken tones of a boy going through some life changes. "Sat at a table in the corner."

"Lucas keeps a lot of eyes on his investments." Corningstone replied, digging into his pocket for a coin to throw to the young man.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

It was a strange-looking trio indeed that approached the street-corner shop of Dr. Rabbitfoot. Udo was still shaven-headed with his beard dyed, but now he wore a blanket belted with a pistol belt, Angrist's hat, and the shoes he'd borrowed from Tamina. (And how her shoes got onto his feet is a mystery that may never be solved.) Angrist had revealed hidden talents in a truly inspired and artistic look for himself. Who ever said that "vow of silence" meant "lack of personality"? What he did to Khoo's looks, well, maybe that's best left to the imagination. Jamie herself wasn't with them, but the high weirdness that attended her adventures seemed to have joined this one for old time's sake.

They weren't exactly inconspicuous but this wild port town had seen all kinds of strange interlopers, men best left to their own devices, especially if they didn't look like "money." These three sure didn't. And Udo for one wasn't letting anyone get anywhere near his back this time. Maybe Ross' blow had actually increased his intelligence or at least his wisdom. He stepped up to Rabbitfoot's door, drew out his magic token, and tapped three times smartly.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli pushed the open the swing-doors to the watering in the company of Corningstone, and with a word to his men to remain outside. The house was crowded in any case, and the bringing a unit of men to a sale might be seen as a tad overaggressive. Smoke hung heavy in the air, as thick as the conversation of some forty patrons who were as varied as the talk they made. The half-elf spotted a pair of gentlemen who dressed as a certain banditwoman who'd recently joined their cause, he saw another half-elf leaning against a wall and trying unsuccessfully to look inconspicuous, he even noticed a kobold staring as if hypnotized at the gently swinging chandelier above his head. Eli made a mental note to keep an eye on the latter, at least the gender confirmed it wasn't the cat-girl on the Black Guards wanted posters.

They found the woman sat at a small table in the corner nearest to the bar. The tell-tale large bundle wrapped and jammed firmly into the corner behind her feet declared the value of her merchandise, the majority of traders had people they trusted to keep an eye on their wagons, and the finely-crafted sword which was propped against her thigh hinted at the nature of her trade. She lifted her head as she tilted back a glass of whisky and caught the eye of the approaching half-elf, she frowned, and set the thing down.

"Let me do the talking." Corningstone murmured, taking the lead and offering his hand. "Madame, am I to assume you're here to trade munitions?"

"Do you normally walk up to people enjoying a nice glass of-" She glanced at the bottle. "-tuppentine's ditch diver and interrupt them with business talk?" Her voice had the gravelly rasp of a long term smoker, and the tone was of annoyance. Corningstone, however, continued without turning a hair.

"Business is what Logan's Rest is all about." He said, pulling up a chair opposite the woman. "And when the owner of the trading post takes an interest in the clientelle..."

"You work for Logan?"

"Yes. And he's interested in seeing if the rumors of a talented weaponsmith from Rinkaiel were true."

"Well, you can't hide the excellence forever." She said lightly, although her eyes still had a flat look to them. "I hear Mr Logan is a very wealthy man, I guess this highway town of his finally paid off."

"It wasn't easy to get to this point." Corningstone replied, affecting a world-weary tone Eli could've sworn was geniune. "The bandits are ever present in the countryside."

"So I hear."

"But through vigilance and forsight, we prosper."

"Right, right. So is the old cutthroat prepared to put his money where his mouth is?"

"If your merchandise lives up to expectations, he will be."

"Alright then." The woman stood abruptly and seized the hefty bag behind her, she slung it over her back with one hand and grabbed the bottle with the other. "But not in the middle of this hole, a respectable woman doesn't flash her assests in public, and besides..." She looked around the room. "...using them in here would cause a mess."

She began pushing her way to the exit, the men followed.

"You didn't tell us your name." Eli said, breaking his silence for the first time since they'd entered the bar.

"Jade Ermingard." She replied as she reached the door. "Blacksmith extraordinare."