Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Don't know what a schnook is." Tamina replied, eyeing the men warily. She remembered the Eisenfaust's brutal work from the last time she'd been in the Port, and there had been the small matter of them having selling her to a brothel besides. However, the kobold saw the logic to making sure these men knew she was not to be taken lightly. She reached to the rocky ground and picked up a likely-looking stone.

"...but I can do this." She said and, without further warning, pitched the rock into the distance.

The hummingbird spell galvanized her the moment the object left her hand. She ran, the thick soles of her feet paying no mind to the unevenness of the ground, and caught the object some three seconds and fifty yards later. She blurred back to the group and dropped the stone in the same place she'd retrieved it from. Not satisfied that the message had been hammered home, she pivoted, channeling a second spell, and kicked a heavy, waist-high rock hard enough to tip it over with a crash. She looked back at the new arrivals with a sharp-toothed grin that contained no trace of her usual good humor.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Khoo noticed none of this, his attention being fastened on the commotion in the ocean, now approaching land at an improbably high speed.

Maybe she doesn't know I'm here, he thought. Maybe she's just coming in to make landfall and then go off looking for me. If I'm lucky, she'll get distracted by all this magic and let me make my escape. The Sea God knows, she's distractable enough...

The detonation of a Fireball in the sky above the disturbance pretty well dispelled that hope; a Far Sight spell was part of the basic curriculum at Sashi Mu, after all. About ten seconds later, the BOOMMM reached the shore, suggesting that the submarine was about two miles away ... and closing fast. The Eisenfaust sub-boss [OOC: your description would not match "Jones," the guy at the temple -- no big deal -- /OOC] and his colleagues turned to see what was going on, as Khoo cursed under his breath.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Right, he wasn't supposed to be. But if the PC's need rescuing by the Eisenfaust they can have an "Along Came Jones" moment.]

The sub-boss watched Tamina's demonstration of speed and power unperturbed, with only the slightest nod at the end. Udo supplied the enthusiasm. "See?" he said. "She is destiny and she can't be stopped!"

The leader was about to reply when the fireball exploded and all eyes turned to the sea. The boat-cloaked "beachcombers" fanned out in defensive positions around him, taking cover among the rocks and preparing to do harm in his defense. He took a knee behind a rock himself, and looked up at the adventurers.

"Well, these shnooks got warships, but I haven't seen 'em like that one before. So here's a perfect test for you and your friends here, Udo. Whatever's threatening us here, take care of it, and I say you're strong enough to work with. Watch your footing - it's slippery."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Ooh, that one hurt...]

Khoo emitted a groan that would have been theatrical under different circumstances. Under the actual circumstances, it was just a groan of pain.

"Stand down, that's a friendly," he said. Sort of. He stepped out into plain view, which was followed by two more Fireballs being projected into the sky. The six or seven seconds until the reports echoed on the beach testified to the sub's rapid approach.

He rolled his eyes. "If you listen closely, you can probably hear the Tsuirakuan national anthem start to play any second now..."

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"If that's a friendly," mused the leader, "I know some warships he could help us out with..." He stayed where he was and waited to see how the encounter would turn out.

Udo stood next to Khoo and grinned. "This your girlfriend you were telling us about?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Why's she throwing balls around?" Tamina chipped in. "Fire-balls." She clarified.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Yeah, that's her, and that's what she does," Khoo muttered, half under his breath, half to Tamina. "And she's not my girlfriend." Much as she wishes it otherwise.

The submarine was slowing now, as the water got shallow. From what he remembered of the SS Madwoman or SS Net-Knocker or Dolphin-Scarer or Whale-Buggerer or whatever she'd decided to call the thing (its actual name was undoubtedly more prosaic, but he preferred to use his imagination), it would have a very shallow draft, only a couple of feet; indeed, the whole boat was barely twenty feet long, and much of that was its magical flotation/submersion system. That, as he understood it, was why she'd been able to get her hands on the thing; the Mesuinus had found that the magic that operated it couldn't be scaled up to the size of anything that carried troops or weapons. Unfortunately, a cargo capacity of one Anna-Lisa was within its capabilities. Anyway, it wouldn't do to knock a hole in the bottom of the thing, so she'd be trawling around out there for a few minutes yet, looking for a safe path to shore and something to tie it to.

"We still have time to escape," he said to Udo and the others. "Please."

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo stood tall, grinned, and shook his head. "Nope!" he said. "If she can track you, then she'll track you when we're in the middle of something, and that's no good. Fortune favors the bold! We need to stay where we are and face the hot babe with the cool toys, I mean to say, the danger.

"And hey, if she's not your girl, no fear, we can help you out! You've got what it takes to be a real lady-killer - you just need some good advice. No time to do anything about your clothes" -- this from a man wearing a blanket and pistol belt, kobolds' shoes, Angrist's hat, and no pants -- "but we won't tell her about those you-know-whats - you're not wearing 'em now, are you? - and it's all about attitude anyway. Stand up straight there!" He looked back to his other companions to see if they wanted to give Khoo some quick advice on how to charm the socks off the incoming sorceress.
Browncoat
Errant Scholar

Post by Browncoat »

Angrist was relatively passive about what was happening. At this point, he was more interested in the battle ahead. Still, he took a little pity on the obvious terror Khoo was exuding. Angrist reached forward and snatched his hat back from Udo...again. Angrist madd sure to lightly smack Udo with it as he did so. With his hat back on, Angrist gave Khoo a pat on the shoulder; it was all the comfort he could give.
They kicked me out of the asylum. I miss the jello.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Angrist's hat-snatching showed that Udo's head was still shaved (though his beard, dyed black, remained in place). Udo was puzzled, but no doubt this was another subtle nonverbal message from Sensei. "That's okay," he said to Khoo, "fortune favors the bald, too!" He looked to see if the ladies would offer any amorous advice to the wizardly waiter.