Douaga: the search for Brother Dalton

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Douaga: the search for Brother Dalton

Post by Graybeard »

"How does that even work? I mean, I thought you sent people to specific locations. Now you're making it sound random. Surely there must be some way to... to control it. Or choose a destination. Or something. Otherwise, you might be sending the people you rescue somewhere worse."

Therese shifted uncomfortably under this questioning; it was a concern she'd had herself ... and there was another thing.

"All I know," she finally said, "is that a car that goes from Rosteriel to -- where we sent Brad and Lillith, and others before them, always has an orange band around its top, and a particular set of weird symbols on the front. They're hard to describe, probably part of the dwarven language. A member of my order figured that out by trial and error, but unfortunately, she's not around to be consulted."

Melusine.

[OOC: Got a little connectivity now, should have more tomorrow, at which time this will be followed-up at considerable length if somebody can bounce it back to me. In the other thread, just let Khoo do what makes sense.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Browncoat
Errant Scholar

Post by Browncoat »

"Trial and error?"
Mordan's grin was growing as the potential dangers became more and more clear.
"That's practically my specialty"
They kicked me out of the asylum. I miss the jello.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"All I know," she finally said, "is that a car that goes from Rosteriel to -- where we sent Brad and Lillith, and others before them, always has an orange band around its top, and a particular set of weird symbols on the front. They're hard to describe, probably part of the dwarven language. A member of my order figured that out by trial and error, but unfortunately, she's not around to be consulted."

"Oh," I say. "So... it is possible to predict, but you just lack any information about ones without this... orange band. That makes more sense." It just isn't very useful.

"Trial and error?" Mordan's grin was growing as the potential dangers became more and more clear. "That's practically my specialty"

I pause, thoughtful. "Therese, do you use them in both directions? From... where you sent Lillith and Brad to Rosteriel? Or are they one-way only?"

I mean, if Mordan really wants to try it, who am I to say no? If they're two-way, he could check out where this one goes, and then report back.

If not... then I guess we all have to gamble. One way or another.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese, do you use them in both directions? From... where you sent Lillith and Brad to Rosteriel? Or are they one-way only?"

"No woman in her right mind would ever go back from -- that place to Goriel," Therese said simply. "If we're thinking seriously of taking that car, we'd better look at it before it goes, and I don't know that we can do any better than trial and error. But what will we do about Rose?"

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa wasn't following all this, and especially not the part where someone or other said why on earth they'd want to go anywhere on this mystery machine that they didn't know where it went or even how to steer it. The plan was supposed to be to go explore that Yon-place, only now there was a little girl who had to be rescued, and once she'd been rescued, then the earth started rumbling and now poof! It was all about going somewhere on whatever it was.

Well, that was nothing to her. Still, if it had to be "trial and error," why not let Mordan and Therese go off and do the trials and make the errors? They wanted to be heroes and heroines and all. She could find ways to pass the time until they came back, or even until they didn't, like, forever. As none of these thoughts would win her any favor in this company, she kept them to herself.

(She wasn't actually hoping they'd go off and get killed or anything - just that they'd maybe find themselves some dangerous adventures of the kind they enjoyed, and take all the risks Mordan wanted to take, and show off all the powers Therese wanted to show off, and...just keep it up for a while. A long while.)
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: To be honest, I'd like some help/advice here.
Therese wrote:But what will we do about Rose?
It isn't just the character who's wondering this. If the group currently up on the ridge line grabs the subway and goes off for adventure, it will be hard for Rose (and Audie) to catch up to them in a timely way. They're certainly not going to wander down into Yona, since the town has now been alerted and will have a very hostile reaction. Probably the most in-character thing would be to just retrace their steps and rendezvous with Rose again -- but it is not entirely clear that that really is in character, at least for Mordan.

Suggestions on how to proceed? I'd really like to move on here (and probably start a new thread), because they're closing in on the BBEG and it would be nice to get on with it.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Argus notices, "That thing doesn't seem to be going anywhere unless we move it. Let's go get Rose. She'll want to be in on this," and he thinks, and she'll get worried about me if I run off without her. Therese says, "Good idea! Let's go back to the village and fetch her." Mordan says, "Okay, the party's more fun with more guests anyway." They go. Poof!]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

OOC: Desiree is still trying to figure out how to get that girl home. She thought maybe the train thing would help.

Also, as to the return trip question, she was thinking maybe one of Therese's church people had made the return trip - ie, coming back to do more rescues. Not one of the women who'd been saved.

Anyway, I have no strong feelings. I'd previously taken the Underground Railroad to be a metaphor involving Portals rather than an actual train (probably misread, but still). I wasn't sure why it came up here unless you were setting up some sort of important plot point with, so I was just being "helpful" and trying to move things along. IF that isn't where you wanted to go, then no harm done. Desiree is just as happy to head back.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, we'll go with A's suggestion. The underground railroad is quite literal, and will figure heavily in what comes next -- but we can work it so that Rose is on board.

Back to marginal connectivity for a day or two, but this will heat up come weekend. Anybody want to do anything first?

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"We don't leave without Rose," Argus spoke up. "We go back for her, and find some way to get her out here. Covertly, if need be."