Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters (part 2)

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters (part 2)

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Tamina'll definitely want to be on board the ship to the other thread, she had plans with Argus about learning magic and the devastation of her hometown is a little fresh in her mind for a return (although a message sent to her people wouldn't go amiss), besides, you had something planned for her right Grey? You sure Dru won't come along Dru? Khoo was retiring right? Where are Udo and Angrist planning to go?/OOC

"Hey, can we do this somewhere else? - woah!"

While the kobold was being supported by her burly knight protector the half-elf was exchanging a brief word with his former teacher, who waved Udo down as the possibility of confrontation crested again.

"I think getting out of here is a good idea. I'd guess you have some superiors to report to Tim? I think Drusia and I need a little private talk, about one thing or another."

"Why should we let you go anywhere?" Tamina asked angrily. "Ralkin or not, you helped a bad man, helped him attack my people!"

"I never hurt one of your people!" The half-elf snapped back. "Aleron's plan, and Gabriel led the invaders."

"Still helped them do bad things!"

Eli had no reply for that.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Yes, Khoo will be "retiring" as this thread ramps down. As for everyone else, there will soon be a reunion in Lorrel that would allow any and all interested characters to continue on with Rose and company, with Therese and Mordan currently separated from them but don't expect that separation to last long. The next (and original) BBEG awaits...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"I think getting out of here is a good idea. I'd guess you have some superiors to report to Tim? I think Drusia and I need a little private talk, about one thing or another."

Tim thought that was a little dismissive, given what he'd just done for the half-elf, and raised an eyebrow. But he couldn't see a way to say so without sounding childish. A simple "thanks" wouldn't have killed the man, he thought, but then he'd just been brought down from thinking he was going to be deputy ruler of a major world power with the strength to dictate terms to the elves, and would need to do some reflecting. Maybe now he wouldn't be so dismissive of Veracian "peasants" anyway.

Tim was out of words anyway. "Goodbye, then," said he, and prepared to take his leave. Then Eli spoke again...

Udo lowered his shield but stuck by Tamina, ready to cut loose with everything he still had if either of these weird fuckers tried something.
Last edited by Alberich on May 3rd, 2013, 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Can we call a halt for a while? Just waiting on something./OOC
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Wait."

Eli walked to the departing priest and, hesitantly, put an hand on his shoulder.

"I wanted to say thank you for everything, Tim. You put yourself at incredible risk tonight, risking life and soul to show me the error of my ways... you're a true friend. Even if... things go wrong afterwards... I just wanted you to know that. Thank you."

OOC Halt over. Thanks for the edit Tim./OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim beamed. "Glad to do it, friend. And I'll pray for your success in your ultimate quest, and your happiness too." With a human girl, for preference. Many more words would be superfluous and unwise - it was time to get away from here. "Fare you well." They clasped hands, firmly. Tim left without a care in the world. No matter what was waiting for him after - now he knew beyond all doubting it had been worth it.

He didn't spend the walk thinking back or forward. Around here you needed to concentrate on keeping your eyes open, away from dark alleys, with your hand close to your weapon. Once he was back inside solid temple walls, there'd be plenty of time to...to fall into dreamless sleep, that's what, and think about things in the morning after prayers.

It wasn't so far from the temple that he met the novice. This was the same boy he'd been so rude to in the matter of the bath. Now he was concerned for the boy. "Irving?" he said. "My lord, lad, what are you doing out at this hour?"

"Please you, brother, out lookin' for you! That's my orders."

Tim was shocked. Sending a novice out into these streets at this hour, on a night like this? Who in hell would be so thoughtless? If he had a mission that vital in that kind of danger, he'd do it himself, or at least send an armed guard. "Well, here I am. Let's get you back inside quick." He walked to the boy's right so he could get his sword out. The truth was they were both safer than Tim imagined. Most of Port Lorrel's criminal population were keeping their heads down tonight. The braver among them were closer to the actual trouble in the docks, hoping to "liberate" a few goods from the warehouse fire, or the dead and wounded. And Jones had his own orders about the Veracians, not wanting to bring a Veracian army to go with the missionaries, and that kept them much, much safer. But Tim didn't know any of that.

The boy started to explain how he'd gotten the bath ready, but it was Tim who apologized for having snapped about it before, and by the time they reached the Misison they were chatting like brothers about ball games and fishing. And there was Father Unferth waiting for them. He sent Irving off to bed. And then Tim lit into him. "What's the idea, sending a novice off into this city at this hour? Trying to get him killed? It's a den of wolves out there, and they're out in force tonight..." -- but before he could really get into it, the senior man cut him off.

"End it there, brother. You don't know this place, so keep your tongue in your head 'til you do. You've got some explaining to do so I suggest you concetrate on that. Come along, now."

Tim didn't cringe in anticipation, but he obeyed. His body protested. It had been a long night, he'd used a lot of magic, and his experiences had been emotionally draining. He hadn't fought near as hard as the companions who were leaving the city with Drusia, hadn't bled or taken hard blows like them, but he could still use a good eight hours in bed and a dispensation to miss morning prayers. Well, after what he'd faced tonight, he could handle that, for sure. He went along.

As Tim left, Udo concentrated on helping the kobold to walk. When he saw she couldn't, he taught Khoo a two-man carry he'd learned for battlefield evactuations, where they supported her legs with his staff and her arms with their shoulders. It was a lot easier than carrying a garlop carcass back to her village had been...but after the night's exertions his body was going to pay a heavy price.

He didn't take part in the conversation about Eli and his crimes as they walked along. They were all at peace now, and if Mr. "Bad Elfy Man" decided to start trouble, or make a move towards Tamina, well, then, he'd learn how much fight was left in them yet!

[OOC: My guess is that Angrist is about to ask Udo to head off with him on a completely different mission towards the other side of Farrel - after they rest a day or two. We PM'd a little about it before, and I've got some adventures in mind. Since Udo doesn't know Tamina's going back into danger, and besides that he thinks she's safe with Drusia, he'll go along with Angrist if that is the case. I myself would love to hear what report, if any, Drusia makes to the Rangers about the night's events.]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The old priest who met Tim just inside the temple door stood ramrod-straight, just as he had when they'd last met. If there was any fatigue to him, he certainly didn't show it, despite having piloted the airship himself through the night. In fact he barely looked like he ever slept at all. Now he fixed the younger man with a severe stare.

"While we wait for your colleague Sister Rose to return from her -- outing in the south, you will give your report on events here," Father Amalric said, his voice firm and correct.

[OOC: Drusia, remember this guy? Are you sure you want Dru to ride off into the sunset?...]

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina's head finally drooped as she was carried between the men who followed the elfish pair. Her breathing grew deeper as she passed into a light doze. Eli began speaking in quiet tones to his old mentor a moment later.

"I think we've got a lot to talk about."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Assuming things move forward to morning, note that Sister Rose, Argus, Desiree, etc., have now arrived in town, with a new thread to match. A few hours of R&R are available to most of them (although not Rose and Argus) before they head north toward the BBEG, if you want some interactions with the newcomers.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"I think we've got a lot to talk about."

"Indeed," I reply. I approach him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Eli... you've burned some bridges," I tell him. "If you really think that my town is a prison, then I can respect that. Your parents chose to live there, but there are other places you could go. However, the best place I could recommend is where Lillith is living now. And... she thinks you're an Errant. I don't think that would be safe - not unless you were with someone she trusted. Maybe not even then."

I sigh. "Besides," I continue, "Tim indicated that you had further plans concerning the Elves. I did my part to make the peregins a more positive organization." I nod towards where Jarglan's body is. "But there are plenty of others. And there's Sar, who doesn't know you're free of Ralkin influences now. She's a good person, a friend to half-elves, but now she'll attack you on sight thinking you're an Errant."

"What it comes down to," I finish, "Is that I don't know where will be safe for you. I don't want to imprison you, Eli. That was never my intent. But I do want to protect you, as I wanted to protect Lillith. Perhaps I am just an overly protective mother - particularly of those who aren't my blood children - but there you have it."

I give his shoulder a squeeze. "So... Eli... where do you want to go?"

-- Drusia