Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters (part 2)

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters (part 2)

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Take care Dru."

With a final look, the half-elf tipped his hand in a goodbye and made his way into the stable to collect his mount. As he disappeared from view, the kobold sleepily got down from the staff and supporting arms which held her and padded over to the elf.

"You're... leaving?" She asked.

OOC Trying to think of a way to get Tamina into the other plot. If she stops over in the Port tonight it shouldn't be a problem (possibly alone, the way things are looking), all she has to do is go and find Tim after to make doubly sure he's not one of the bad men. But if anyone's got a better idea to segway her in I'd like to hear it./OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: To my mind, the most logical way is for Drusia to have any reason to go to the Veracian temple -- she sees the first Veracian airship cross the setting moon and sees the second one arrive in daylight. Knowing that Veracians almost never use them, and that Rose's "special" mission has high priority these days, she thinks Desiree, or someone who knows what's going on with her, might've been on board one of those airships. So she goes to the temple to see. Tamina naturally goes along with her because they're sweethearts and to see how "Rosie" is. When they get there, they discover that Rose & Argus are already there, and in the course of their talk Tamina is persuaded to join their mission, even if Drusia then goes her own way.

That makes sense to me because it's more in character for Udo to watch Tamina leave with Drusia and know she's safe than to watch her go alone into Port Lorrel - which is not a kobold-friendly town. I know Angrist wants to rest a day or two, and Udo wants to not only rest but take advantage of not-Jones' offer of a free massage at Maggie's, but Udo wouldn't just watch Tamina walk into Port Lorrel by herself without staggering along.

Given how dangerous the mission is, I actually think it would make sense to go even further, and to have Tim replace Audie and Drusia replace Desiree for the rest of it while the noncombatants stay behind. But that is for other people to say.]
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Sounds like a good plan. I vote we run with it and wrap this thread up neatly. The night ship arriving could be mentioned on the next person's post, it could be a good way of opening up a dialogue between the other characters. Would you mind keeping the elf around a little longer please Dru? I'll email you a cookie. :)./OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Relieved of their furry burden, Khoo and Udo rubbed their arms and shoulders as the little group continued to make its way out of town. Udo was keeping an eye on the by-play between Drusia and Tamina, but not listening in, for it was clear enough to him that whatever went on between them would be none of his business at all.

Khoo caught sight of something in the sky and pointed. "<Udo, look!>"

Udo looked up and saw it too - the shadow of an airship as it crossed the setting moon.

"What the hell?" he said. "No airship docks here...where's it headed off to?" They kept walking along, and sometimes looking back up, to see where the thing was going. They naturally assumed it would be heading for the Tsuirakuan enclave, and were both surprised when they saw it wasn't. It took Udo a little while to figure out where it was going.

"The Veracian god-freak temple? Why in hell would we send an airship there? You'd think we'd send ambassadors over to their country, and we've got the warp gates anyway..."

"Maybe it's a Veracian airship," said Khoo.

"Ridiculous. The Veracians don't have airships! Or indoor plumbing, either. If they had one they'd probably fall down and worship it, or figure it's flying so it must be a devil, and attack it...crazy dumbasses...maybe it's air pirates flying over to raid 'em. Steal their incense or something."

"Air pirates? Never heard of such a thing."

"I have! Flown with 'em, too!"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Aha! A brainstorm as to how to get everyone connected so some reshuffling of characters can occur for the trip north. Work with me here...]

Annabelle was deep in thought as she walked back to the harbor district. Mr. Jones' instructions may have been low-key, and she didn't really know the man that well -- interactions between him and the shipping operations were usually handled directly by Elke -- but one thing she knew was that he expected results. Problem is, she didn't know how to get them. The Eisenfaust didn't have their fingers as firmly on activities at the airship terminal as in the harbor, for the simple reason that there wasn't as much of a payoff there. Even the biggest airships, like one of the ones that her boss was taking an interest in, had limited cargo capacity, and besides, it was hard to do anything clandestine with them. The problem was weights and balances, or more specifically, lift. If you tried to build a concealed compartment into an airship, and use it to transport undeclared goodies bulking or weighing anything beyond roughly man-sized, the damn thing simply wouldn't fly.(*) The Eisenfaust had therefore made a decision not to risk exposure by having more than a token presence at the terminal, in the form of a few "turned" cops and Customs agents who could occasionally be tapped for a favor ...

... And that gave her an idea.

That Tsuirakuan kid who'd been part of the battle with the Ralkin was reputed to be something of an expert on aerial magic. If he didn't know the capabilities of those two ships, at least one of which had come into town far too suddenly to be non-magical, he could certainly make some guesses.

She used the Eisenfaust's communications net -- how fortunate, she thought, that they'd adopted that bit of Tsuirakuan thaumatic technology -- to contact Smitty and explain the odd orders she was issuing him.

---------------

"I'd really better be getting back to Tsuirakushiti," Khoo told his traveling companions. "Classes at Sashi Mu have started up again and I'll be in trouble if I'm gone too long. It's been an -- interesting time, but it's time for me to say goodbye and head for the warp gate. I --"

A man wearing a uniform proclaiming him to be part of the "Port Lorrel Harbor Authority and Customs Service" [OOC: such a thing actually does exist] stepped in front of him and cleared his throat. "Sir? Anna-- the Customs Commissioner would like a word with you regarding a matter of imports from that episode you and your friends were involved in last night. Please come with me. Your friends are welcome to come too, if they wish." He'd decided that concession was worth making, to reassure the kid that he wasn't just going to be fitted for cement overshoes and dumped into the harbor.

Udo might have recognized that the man wearing the uniform looked a great deal like Smitty. Then again, he might not.

-------------

About this time, a decidedly travel-weary group of voyagers from the Southern Continent, minus Sister Rose and Argus who were at the temple, were preparing to sally forth from the Veracian military airship, hoping that whatever lay in store for them in Lorrel would finally involve peace and quiet.

-------------

(*) Later edit: Note that Annabelle is wrong about this, as are Elke and the Eisenfaust brain trust -- rather inexplicably, but consistently. They've forgotten about the trick of incorporating a Pocket Dimension into an airship for storage of luggage, etc., which could enable the shipping of quite a bit of contraband without creating a weights-and-balances problem. This is partly a narrative necessity, to help bring about the meet-up of the two groups, and also partly an attempt to redress the growing imbalance in capabilities between Eisenfaust and Gewehr. The Gewehr do know about this capability, courtesy of the short-lived Gewehr presence in Kiyoka (way back at the beginning of the story) and the fact that Layla, who was running that operation, is both magically highly adept by Gewehr standards, and also observant. Of course, they're not going to tell the Eisenfaust about things like that...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Is it still three in the morning or have you timeskipped us into the daytime?]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Alberich wrote:[OOC: Is it still three in the morning or have you timeskipped us into the daytime?]
Fast forward to morning, I think, since Khoo couldn't board the warp gate until then. Besides, this group is tired. Even elves need sleep...

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Okay, so where have you placed everyone? I'd expect Udo and Angrist to be sawing wood out in camp 'til noon, and that may be convenient to what you're planning anyway, if Khoo and the nonhumans move around while they sleep.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"You're... leaving?" She asked.

I nod, still smiling, although a little bit sadly. "Yes," I tell her. "Remember, I started this journey with you on a mission - to eliminate the Ralkin. They're eliminated, so my mission here is over. Time to go."

I pause, considering. "If you'd like to come with me for a time, I wouldn't mind," I tell her. "But, in the end, one way or another, I have my home to return to, and you have yours to rebuild. I could take some time if you need help with that - rebuilding your home - but I won't be able to stay forever."

-- Drusia

OOC: I don't mind if Drusia is a delivery device, but she won't be sticking around in the other thread if so.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Alberich wrote:[OOC: Okay, so where have you placed everyone? I'd expect Udo and Angrist to be sawing wood out in camp 'til noon, and that may be convenient to what you're planning anyway, if Khoo and the nonhumans move around while they sleep.]
Intentionally left open-ended, so that whoever wants to be in the expedition to the Far North can, without writing anyone into a spot where they must.