Seven(?) against the Convergence

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Seven(?) against the Convergence

Post by Drusia »

Once it is clear that we're done crashing, I - regretfully - release Therese. Together, she and I go out to see what's going on.

And, apparently what's going on is that practically the whole airship just sorta fell off while the rest kept going. Is that what was hidden in that dead space - another airship? The real airship?

After the flash and the belated boom, I nerviously and carefully make my way over to where Rose is attempt to reassure people.

"Did Almaric just dump us off his airship like a sack of potatoes and then explode like the manifistation of Luminosa hitting the elven barrier?" I ask Rose.

-- Desiree

OOC: Yes, I know I misspelled Amalric. It was intentional - Desiree never much liked or payed attention to him, so she misspronounced his name.

Also, since there aren't any nukes in Errant story (that Desiree knows of anyway), the Luminosa/Elven Barrier explosion is probably the biggest she's ever heard of. Hence using that as an example.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

The kobold, with more than a little help from Rose, and after a minor terror struck set-back after the boom, had extricated herself from the beam and joined her crew mates in getting their bearings on the current situation.

"M' really starting to hate flying." She remarked, now staring with a worried expression in the direction the loud noise had come from.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Again intermittent for a couple of days, but not totally off line, so...]

"Did Almaric just dump us off his airship like a sack of potatoes and then explode like the manifistation of Luminosa hitting the elven barrier?"

Sister Rose's ears were still ringing from the blast, but after asking Desiree to repeat what she'd said, she nodded tentatively. "It would appear so. That ship must have been just a gigantic magical storage battery, all loaded up for..."

For what?

"I think maybe we'd better open that first envelope Amalric gave us," she said.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"By all means," said Tim, wondering why she felt the need to vocalize it instead of just doing it, since she was the one with the envelope, and all. His quick look around the glider hadn't turned up any other communications or clues.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

A finger touched to the magical seal caused it to vanish in a blur, and Sister Rose extracted the paper within. She frowned.

"Hmmm. Looks like a page from a book, maybe that one he was reading on the bridge. I don't recognize it, not exactly my style of literature."

A section of text on the page, however, had a soft glow, a kind of magical highlighting. Rose read it out loud. "'to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.' Any idea what that's all about?"

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Khoo might've been able to provide some insight, but he was not here. Tim shook his head. "Someone obsessed with hate and vengeance -- more concerned with his revenge than with his soul. Not a priestly sentiment at all. I think you should save it in case there's a court of inquiry later."

They'd have a whale of a tale to tell them for sure.

"Does the time feel right for the other envelope? If not, I think we should spy out the land. I think you've got a farsight spell that would give us a pretty good sweep of the country, maybe from on top of this craft if we can't get altitude some other way. Someone may've seen us come down and we ought to see who's approaching first."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Does the time feel right for the other envelope?"

"I would think so," Sister Rose replied. "He wanted them both to be read at the same time. Why the other one first? You'd have to be Amalric to know that, I don't understand it. The other one is marked to me, 'for your eyes only,' but I'll decide whether to honor that after I read it -- the circumstances aren't the same as when he wrote it." Or maybe they are.

The magical seal flared out of existence, and Sister Rose began to read the letter inside the envelope. Her wide eyes suggested surprise and interest in the comments. At one point, she gasped audibly; at another, she murmured a faint "oh my god." Her eyes were still wide when she stuffed the paper into the folds of her robe.

"Well, good news and bad news," she announced. "The good news is that we're in a fairly safe place here. The bad news is that we'll have to cross troll lands to go anywhere else. I also know more of what Amalric did; I'm not sure whether that part is good or bad. I'll fill you in later."

She looked at Desiree, then at Argus, and continued. "But the real good news is: we're going home."

[OOC: Rose is not being all secretive with this paper, I just am not in a position to write the whole thing right now. When I am, which will probably be tomorrow, the promised big long thing will follow, after which we can move to the next thread.]

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"'to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.' Any idea what that's all about?"

I think for a moment. I know I've heard that somewhere before.

Oh!

"It's from a play about a pirate!" I tell everyone. "This pirate gets marooned on an island by a naval captain. Years later, the pirate captures a different naval ship that lands on the same island and uses it to go hunt down the captain who marooned him there. He uses all sorts of dirty tactics to try to get the upper hand, but in the end it comes down to the two captains on their ships, firing away with cannons. The pirate's ship is sinking and his crew is dead, so the wounded pirate captain ignites all the gunpower on the ship, hoping that the explosion will sink his enemy as well. Right before he lights the torch and kills himself to try to kill his enemy, he says that."

I pause, looking at the sky towards the direction of the explosion. Oh. Yeah, that's actually a pretty damn good explanation. I wonder who he was trying to kill.

"Well, good news and bad news," she announced. "The good news is that we're in a fairly safe place here. The bad news is that we'll have to cross troll lands to go anywhere else."

Troll lands?! Oh crap. That's bad - really bad.

"I also know more of what Amalric did; I'm not sure whether that part is good or bad. I'll fill you in later."
She looked at Desiree, then at Argus, and continued. "But the real good news is: we're going home."

That's... good? I mean, I think so, but I thought there was a mission to do and stuff...? Then again, my mother told Rose that she'd handle it and... well, that was a pretty big explosion. Maybe that took care of things? I can hope, can't I?

-- Desiree

OOC: So yeah, I went with Wrath of Khan. :p
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Troll lands?" Tamina echoed, her usually bronze skin now looking decidedly pale. "Umm... don't the troll-ly peoples eat the Killikah gah? Heard we were a 'specially... umm, special tea? ...a specialty."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Umm... don't the troll-ly peoples eat the Killikah gah? Heard we were a 'specially... umm, special tea? ...a specialty."

"I... I think that's a myth," Sister Rose answered, somewhat uncertainly. At least she was pretty sure that the similar stories about trolls eating humans were myths; she'd seen things in the Heretic Knowledge Vault that addressed those. (And wondered why the myths were allowed to survive ... which is another reason why I'm -- going to do what I'm going to do.) If they wouldn't eat humans except under extraordinary circumstances, they probably wouldn't eat other sentient beings either. That should reassure Tamina, although it wouldn't necessarily mollify Argus. One of these days I'm going to have to ask him why he hates trolls so much. I don't want it to be something that comes between us ... not that I'm going to let it.

"Anyway, Amalric says -- said --" rest in Luminosita's Peace, you grouchy, weird, yet admirable old man, it's past tense now -- "we have about a two days' journey south through the troll lands, then over a fairly rugged mountain range. After that we'll be close to a city in the Northern Confederacy called Clovius." She looked to see if Therese, having emerged from Desiree's cabin (with a curious little smile on her face), had any reaction to that name, but there was none to displace the smile. "From there he says we should be able to catch a caravan south to a border city." Just as long as it's not Albigenish.

"And then home," she concluded with a heartfelt sigh.