Clovius and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Clovius and beyond

Post by Drusia »

"Well, we seem to have gained the protection of a celebrity ... although I have no idea who, how, and why. Let's get back to the inn while that lasts."

I wait until Therese field's Tamina's question, then reply to her own.

"Yes, let's," I agree. Why does something always come along to spoil my evenings out?

Although... perhaps something can yet be salvaged.

"So, what are your thoughts on this disguse you're going to have me wear?" I ask Therese as we walk.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"So, what are your thoughts on this disguse you're going to have me wear?"

Truthfully, Therese hadn't given it much thought yet. Surely she could come up with something, between her professional bag of tricks and things the rest of the party could contribute. Desiree was right, though, some thought should go into the disguise. She walked silently for a few seconds, thinking ... and then she noticed Tim approaching.

In all the time the group had been together, no one had ever seen Thérèse de Refuge-Nouveau giggle. It wasn't that out of character for her, actually; after a successful mission, she wasn't disinclined to tie one on back in the city and get more than a little rowdy. But there had been very few opportunities in the last few weeks for her to let her hair down and relax.

Now, however, the mirth bubbled out of her as she formed her answer to Desiree's question. I've got to get this out before Tim gets here... "Oh," she said, putting on her best straight face, "I think we can enlist Rose to help ... help fit you out to look like a Veracian nun."

She giggled again. "Reformed, of course."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

When the diners reached the inn they couldn't help but notice Tim waving at them from a corner table, where he'd been nursing a pint and people-watching for the last half-hour. There was nobody near this table, and it looked pretty decent for privacy. He couldn't imagine what they'd found so funny but for his own part he was relieved they were all back and whole.

[OOC: And assuming they come over...if someone isn't, tip me a wink, and I'll slice out some words.]

He invited them to sit and talk a little. The observant (and they were all observant) would notice he was keeping an eye on the servants, and talking less whenever they were in earshot.

"I'm glad you came straight back," he said, the speed of their return having made that obvious. "From what that Miss Tovah was telling me, the customs around here are complicated traps, and going out in public without knowing them is just asking for trouble. Apparently they worship the 'Mountain King,' whoever that is, and they thought Desiree's clothes were mourning weeds for a husband who'd been lost. And that you were going to go off to sacrifice yourself after eating your last meal."

Tim didn't comment on what women in red dresses used to mean where he came from. Or on what he thought Desiree would really do if she lost a lover. (Namely, take up a new one right away without a moment's regret. It felt unnatural to him -- but then, her elf blood came down from demonspawn, and unnatural instincts were to be expected.) Or on how stupid you had to be to live in a trading hub and not realize that there might be foreigners walking your streets who didn't worship the same thing you did.

"Anyway, the reason I was trying to talk to you before is there's been a new development. Someone slipped this note under my door before I got there." Making sure no one else in the inn could see, he spread it out on the table, and paused while they had a chance to read."

[OOC: If Tamina is there and has her usual difficulty, Tim explains: "They say they worship the same god I do, and want me to meet them alone in the morning."]

He continued. "Rose thinks they're on the up and up. And that Tovah claimed to be one of them - to be expecting me to make the meeting. I don't know them and so don't trust them. For all I know these are Mountain King worshippers who think I'd make a great dawn sacrifice. So Rose is going to be watching from a distance to make sure. I imagine Argus will be with her. That's where we'll all be.

He spread his hands, "It would be a great favor if one of you would care to come along to watch in the event it's an ambush." He was looking between Therese and Tamina -- it was obvious from his body language (and from the things he'd said, openly and often, since Port Lorrel and even before) that he did not have Desiree in mind for any counter-ambush.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Seeing Therese giggle comes as a bit of a shock. A pleasant shock, but still. However, what she say is more shocking still.

"Oh," she said, putting on her best straight face, "I think we can enlist Rose to help ... help fit you out to look like a Veracian nun."
She giggled again. "Reformed, of course."

My composure slips entirely and my mouth drops open in a nearly silent gasp.

Me? Dressed as a Veracian nun? That... that has got to be sacraligious. To at least one if not both of our religions.

On the other hand, it is insane enough to distract pretty much all attention from me. So there's that.

And Tim will crap himself sideways when he hears about this.

I close my mouth and swallow hard.

"... okay," I say softly, too shaken to say more.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: On that note, neither Therese nor Rose really has anything more to say tonight. Therese will have to be on her best behavior, since there are three beds in the room, and Rose ... well, she's asleep, let's leave it at that. Anybody want to say anything before morning, or shall we move forward?

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Well, I still don't know who replied how to Tim when he met them at the inn -- I imagine it would be in character for Tamina, at least, to agree to lie in wait in case these are "bad men" after all-- or whether anyone is mentioning to him this idea of dressing Desiree in a nun get-up.]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: It would be in character for everyone except Desiree, who'd probably sleep in, to agree to serve as backup, no reason to play that out the night before. I think we can get on with this. (Therese would be scrupulously mum on the disguise plan until she gets a chance to talk to Rose about it in the morning.)

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: If it works for Jack it works for me. If Tim does see Desiree dressed as a nun, or learns about it, he won't be quiet.]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: In the interest of moving forward, I'm going to assume that D and JR are OK with all this. If not, the following can easily be retconned or just removed.]

As had been surmised, Clovius was already showing signs of life by the time Sister Rose, Argus and Therese arose groggily from their beds and used Hygiene spells to get ready for the dawning day. They'd noticed a low hill on the south side of town that apparently had fewer houses, and more open space, than most of the city; an urban park, Rose guessed correctly (although she hadn't grasped the full implications of the place yet), and one that should offer decent views of whatever was going on at the clock-tower gate. She, Argus and Therese headed for the hill [OOC: leaving it up to JR and D to position Tamina, who could certainly go with the three, and Desiree, although I assume the latter is still in bed -- /OOC], as Tim moved toward the gate, a couple of simple hand signals having been worked out so that he could summon their help if needed.

Why is she smiling like that? Rose wondered as she walked alongside Therese. Surely she and Desiree hadn't ... Well, then again, why not? But the real reason for the smile became clear when Therese cleared her throat and spoke. "Rose, Desiree and I were talking last night about getting her in disguise because of something that happened over dinner. We have a small favor to ask you..."

By the time Therese had finished, Rose was laughing so hard she could barely hike up the hill.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Everything's hunky-dory with me./OOC

Tamina had smiled politely at the melodious sound of Rose's laughing fit, although she hadn't really understood the joke. Her elder's attempts to explain the differing branches of human religions to her had fallen on deaf ears; they had been pretty half-hearted lessons in any case, more or less redundant in the part of the continent they lived in.

"Think it's weird, human religion, I mean." She made an embarrassed cough at the quizzical expressions she received from the churchgoers and hurriedly explained herself. "It's just... all the ceremonies, funny clothes, and rules, and groups of peoples disagreeing on things... s' a lot different from Killikah beliefs. Just got to know which spirit is which and you'll be okay."

She flushed a little despite herself. She hadn't intended to start a theological discussion so early in the day. besides, talking at length to a group of people in a foreign language was enough to make anyone feel a little self-conscious. At least she was getting better at it... right?