Port Lorrel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Port Lorrel

Post by Viking-Sensei »

[OOC - Continuing from the adventures in Kiyoka]

Morning broke on the deck of the small fishing boat, it's crisp sharp light unfiltered by the smog of civilization, casting it's somewhat harsh light on the survivors of the night before. The Ferry, as it turned out, had left prematurely some time before-to-during their gunfight... quite possibly because of it. Fortunately, Lucas' knowledge of the city and it's many denizens, sometimes the less-than-savory ones, had led him to a delightful fellow known only as Mr. Stagpoole, who (for a price, of course) leant them one-way passage across the straits in his "luxury" fishing boat.

Lucas sat on said deck, inspecting the wound to his shoulder with a small mirror. Bob's on-the-spot first aide had stopped the bleeding, but there was still a tremendous amount of damage underneath, and given the tendancy for magic to "go wrong" around him Lucas was still debating as to wether he needed to be healed magically or if his own body could do the deed the honest but significantly slower way. Also, for the reasons of appearance amongst other things, he had a fishing rod wedged between his legs, which he as ignoring.

Keyes came up from the rather impossibly spacious interior of the ship and gave Lucas a short nod, then set about his work modifying the rigging to compensate for a change in the winds.

"It's a pity your Mr. Stagpoole wasn't able to come out 'to fish'. Nice weather we're having." Lucas said in a friendly-ish sort of way to Keyes, who was acting Captain in his employer's absence. "How are my catches doing? Are they floundering? And does this look like I need to see a sturgeon?"

Keyes grimaced slightly. "Pretense need not be kept up now, sir." He said in his distinctive tone, translated into plain english for the sake of those reading the account. "We are far enough from shore that any seeking to do your party harm would find it overly difficult."

"Still..." Lucas said, shifting slightly to look over his shoulder at Ayiee, resplended in all of her realistic female glory (fortunately still wearing a bathing suit, at Lucas' insistance), taking in the sun on the other edge of the deck. She was glowing slightly, and seemed to be enjoying the experience a little too much. "...I can't help suspect we're bound to attract someone's attention. How far away is Port Lorrel?"

Keyes raised his hand to his face and looked towards the sun, then the horizon. "We should make landfall by this afternoon."

"Good." Lucas said, getting up with a hrrmph. "Guess I'll go below deck and see if anybody knows any healing magic and isn't afraid to possibly have their hands blown off in the process."
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Port Lorrel

Post by Sareth »

"Maybe surviving wasn't such a good idea," I moaned. Not only was I cut, bruised, abraded, and generally looking like I had been used as the focal point of a game of trollish soccer, but the high seas were doing terrible things to my innards, making them want to become outards. Stolidly, since stoic assassins aren't supposed to whimper, moan, and lose their dignities to something so plebeian as a fishing boat, I made myself to continue to sit upright in the passageway below decks, daubing a cloth in a bowl of alcohol and washing my cuts. The sting of the liquid against my wounds was remarkably helpful at focusing my attention away from my stomach. I placed the cloth against a particularly nasty cut on my temple and began rubbing. "OW, gawdammit. Arty's mother was a dockside whore..."
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Situated on the bowsprit of the boat, leaning out over the brilliant sapphire waters, Roger closed his eyes and breathed in the fresh salt air. It had been too long since he had been on the open sea, and had almost forgotten the wondrous feeling of freedom that accompanied it. The swell of waves, the spray of salt, the open vista of water that stretched as far as the eye could see...it was like being home again.

His previous voyage had been a cramped, dank and squalid experience, wedged in the hold of a large cargo ship, not appearing above deck for fear of being discovered. Prior to that, Roger had been landlocked for over 6 months, as he wandered around Farrel, seeking out odd jobs to support himself. But before that, Roger had made a living as a smuggler, running contraband up and down the coasts of Northern Farrel and Western Veracia, working with people who bore more then a passing resemblence to the "Mr. Keyes" who was their captain on this voyage.

Roger glanced back over his shoulder, lingering for a second on the exquisitly proprotioned golem now occupying the fordeck, at Lucas and Mr Keyes. He and Jamie had caught up with Lucas at the docks, and had managed to get passage on the ship before anyone caught up with them. Introductions had finally been made, and Roger had finally figured out where these people were headed. He had seen some of Farrel, but hadn't really gotten around to Veracia. He hadn't been back to the Northern Confederacy since the incident that had led to his life as a mercenary, and that was... 6 years ago.

6 years!? Had it really been that long? He supposed so. Time had a way of slipping through your fingers when you weren't paying attention. Turning back to the bow, Roger absentmindedly twirled his mustache with a finger. Well, maybe he'd get to go back. At any rate, it was wonderful to be out of Kiyoka. Roger could feel the tension melting away as they left the coast of Tsuiraku behind them.

He just hoped that any trouble would stay back there with it.
Last edited by DarkIntruder on July 22nd, 2008, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weirdonian
Team Captain

Post by Weirdonian »

The ocean, it had been years since Toivo had experienced it's vast immensity. He had never been on a ship before, but he managed to only stay slightly queazy. Toivo was leaning on a hand rail that surrounded the roof of the upper deck, looking back towards the wake of the vessel and to fading lands of Tsuiraku. His hat was fastened to his head with a small strap that ran under his chin and his round, silvery blue sunglasses concealed his eyes which would occasionally scant a glance downward to the radiant Ayiee sunning herself below. 'A pitty' he thought to himself as his mouth curved into the sad, ghost of a frown that faded nearly as quickly as it had appeared. His pack and most of his things he had secured below deck when they had arrived on board, save for his rock which now hung in it's sack on Toivo's belt.

Toivo then turned and looked towards the bow and to the seemingly endless sea before them. He turned back and away from that misty future and towards the fading Tsuiraku again, nervous at the prospect of this rather huge undertaking. He had met the others and introduced himself the evening before and he could see the bewilderment in their eyes when he brought out Domovoi to introduce him. He took Domo out of his pouch and held him up chest high as a sly but warm smile came over his face. "Don't worry, Domo. They'll see. They'll see!" Toivo declared to the rock in his hand and laughed when he thought of what he must look like to the others at this moment.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Toivo became aware of soft footfalls behind him and looked around. It was Keyes, the first mate and acting captain in Mr. Stagpoole's absence. He looked embarrassed and hesitant, but after a moment, spoke in his curious accent:

"Um ... if you don't mind me athking..."

"Yes?"

"Dat woman tunning hertelf on de deck. De one with de trange blue kin."

"Yes?"

"Id thee ... poken for?" Keyes was blushing furiously.

EDIT: [OOC: For your role-playing convenience :), I've started another thread called Kugelheim to give this party someone to interact with in Port Lorrel, if they wish. If you prefer, feel free to either interact or ignore them as you go off on your own, and either way, please don't wipe out Mr. Gabriel; Poe is going to need him in a game-year or so. :) ]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Sometimes I sneezed at the oddest moments. I'd've put it down to someone talking about me, but that was just some silly superstition.

What was important was, aside from that poorly timed sneeze (Jabbing oneself while running ointment on a bruise on one's inner thigh can be PAINFUL) I was better for wear than I had been. The cuts and bruises were attended to with unctions that should speed healing and prevent infection, I was no longer in Kiyoka, and I still had my gear. The damage to my dignity I could live with.

The ship gave a particularly unsettling lurch, and I found myself suddenly contemplating what flavor yesterdays food might currently take. Not wanting to know, I figured that it might be time to get a little fresh air. I certainly wasn't going to get any in the hold. I don't know what their last cargo had been, but it smelled suspiciously of fish, Veracian Incense, and sweaty socks.

I pulled myself to my feet and walked gracefully (read staggered unsteadily) to the stairs leading up to the doorway out onto deck. Upon reaching there, I immediately threw myself to the rail and clung for dear life.

"Id thee ... poken for?"

"Anyone tries to poke me gets a lead enema," I growled. Unfortunately, any fear factor I might have been able to slip into that phrase was destroyed by a sudden crack that shifted things from tenor to alto. It was further demolished by the immediately following *Urp!* caused by me having to remind my stomach it was an internal organ, not an external.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Lucas came back on deck, still nursing his wounded arm. "How in the hell did I manage to start a party in Kiyoka and not get a single bloody magic user?" He quickly remembered the familiar-maker guy, who was still unconscious following a blow to the head during their escape, and refiled him in the 'sort-of-a-mage' category for mental reference, but still... with Lucas himself being the best mage in the party, things were looking... less than well. He wondered about the Rock Whisperer, Toivo... oh crap, Toivo...

Lucas navigated his way over to Toivo, leaning against a rail and looking back towards Kiyoka. "Hey, I'm sorry you got tangled up in all this mess. We need to decide something before we get into town, though... you need to decide if you want to keep going or not. If you wanted to bail now, I understand... this really isn't what you signed on for. I can refund your money and you could take the Port Lorrel warp gate back home. I'll even throw in a little extra for a hotel for a couple days, if you want to stay here until things die down a little back in Kiyoka.

If, however, you want to keep going... Triggerhappy and his buddy Itchy Finger over there are as much a danger to themselves as they are to others, and while I'll take a bullet for one of my charges if I have to..." Lucas touched his shoulder gingerly, "...I'd really rather not do that again. If you're coming, we're going to have to armor-and-weapon you up a little so that you don't wind up playing the roll of innocent bystander every time. I know a guy in Port Lorrel who owes me some favors..."
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Roger, at hearing the murmur of converstion floating from the back deck, made his way past the sunning golem to the edge of the foredeck, and grabbing ahold of the ladder leading down, neatly slid down to join the others. Lucas was talking quietly to Toivo, but Roger was able to overhear the last bit:

"If, however, you want to keep going... Triggerhappy and his buddy Itchy Finger over there are as much a danger to themselves as they are to others, and while I'll take a bullet for one of my charges if I have to...I'd really rather not do that again. If you're coming, we're going to have to armor-and-weapon you up a little so that you don't wind up playing the roll of innocent bystander every time. I know a guy in Port Lorrel who owes me some favors..."

"Triggerhappy and Itchy Finger huh?" Roger smiled wryly, as he walked over to the pair. "I will admit that my presense may have caused some difficulty for you, and for that I am sorry. However, I believe that most of that business has been left behind in Kiyoka. It was there that I had trouble from the Gewehr's, and while they may try to contact the other groups, I sincerely doubt that they'll be bothering us once we reach Farrel. Hell, they probably don't even have a proper description of me. At any rate, I promise to keep on the downlow and not go off half-cocked like a Veracian zealot who just overheard someone insult his god. Fair enough?"
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

"Fair enough." Lucas said, not even turning, his gaze still lost looking out over the sea, remembering a happier... well, sort of happier, anyway... time. "And don't get me wrong, I like a run-and-gun as much as the next fellow. I just have to protect my clients' interrest... all of your interrests. Yours and hi..he... Jamie's are fairly similar, so accomidating both of you should be fairly easy. And the comatose mage downstairs... at this point, i suspect he just wants to not die. But Toivo here hired me for a legitimate reason, and I while I'm going to try to fulfill my contract with him... I'm just giving fair warning."
Weirdonian
Team Captain

Post by Weirdonian »

"Id thee ... poken for?" Keyes asked

"Anyone tries to poke me gets a lead enema," Jamie growled back.

Toivo chuckled at that and then looked towards the radiant Ayiee, though he was replying to Keyes. "Now that's an interesting question."

It was then that Lucas came and talked to him about aborting his trip. He listened thoughtfully and was about to reply when Rodger spoke up. Toivo listened to this too, just as thoughtfully and to Lucas' response to Rodger, but his mind had already been made up. "That is quite the generous offer Lucas, and I would be lying if I said that the thought of aborting this mission of mine hadn't crossed my mind. But seeing as how we're allready off and started on it, I might just as well see where it takes me. Bessides, I have a duty to the IAC to uphold and I don't think I'd ever live down slinking back home after only a few days journey. But you are right about firepower..." Toivo shook his head, mad at himself. "I should've brought some, I know. Damn those IAC risk assessment clods! Oh well, I managed to snag a bloody pistol off of one of those thugs back there. Not much ammo in it and it needs to be cleaned, but it's a start, and I figured I might be able to trade it in and get a deal on a better one... and it sounds like I could get a pretty good deal with this friend of yours in Lorrel." Toivo thought for a few moments, hesitant to reveal his magical abilities as they were something of an ace up his sleeve. "I'm also something of a Geomancer... but I've never faught anyone with it, so I'll have to find a good, unpopulated area to practice in somewhere outside of Lorrel... And I've got Domo here, he should be- Hmm? Yes, that's what I was getting at! My Dad and him battled some thugs a few times, so he has some experience at least."

Toivo then thought of Jonathan Zeve, that familiar-making guy that was still out of it. 'If he wakes up,' Toivo thought 'I'll ask him if he has any advice.'

He then smiled and turned and replied to Rodger: "Don't worry about it, you did a heck of a job helping us get out of all that back there..." Toivo paused, remembering the carnage after the fight. "...speaking of, what was with all of those arrows?"

'I should also think about getting a crossbow, too.' Toivo thought to himself.