Mountain(s) of Madness

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Mountain(s) of Madness

Post by AdamZero »

I caught Jamie's line of thought when I looked up at the mountain. "Aw hell no. I'm not climbing no mountain... no way, no how. I'm on probation, remember?"

"But boss, the probation was for-" Boris started to speak but I shook my body, and as a result, my booty.... and the skeleton stopped midsentence.

"SHUUSH" came my voice, to add a bit to the quieting.

I looked to Lucas with a smirk. I should have known... but the note.

"Geez the world's moving fast now ain't she... if the Nine are contacting so many... I wonder who else is getting notes..."
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"It's all arranged, Ace will pick us up in the morning," Faye told Layla as they tucked into a rack of lamb with ... exotic ... spices. Layla brightened at this news; she'd been finding the meat difficult. It wasn't bad, just ... weird, and she'd had enough weirdness today that a more familiar, pedestrian dinner would have been more to her liking. (Zachary, of course, was still having to make do with baby food.)

"You know, this place has actually been more fun than I thought it was going to be," Layla said. "It's ridiculously overblown, but for a holiday, that's maybe not a bad thing. I almost wonder, when the conference happens, whether the participants are going to take it seriously."

Faye smiled enigmatically. "Dear, you don't know Peter and the rest of the council very well. They take everything seriously. And the involvement of the Mesuinus will be sufficient to take care of that anyway. They're crazy, but you must take them seriously. Just be glad that we're not going to be there when it happens. It's time for our lives to calm down." She took another bit of lamb and changed the subject.

---------

Maybe I'll live through this after all, Grope thought, as the two Small Ones headed away from him at a dead run. But that might depend on this "Mesuinu" creature.

He'd reached a good hiding place in the forest and was checking for injuries from the Force Bolt. Nothing seemed too seriously wrong, just a few cuts and scrapes from where he'd fallen, nothing even worth healing. Chippy was scampering across the killing zone, pausing occasionally to look back over his shoulder. Every time he did, he ran harder, until he pulled in beside Grope. He puffed and said, "I don't believe this..."

A young female Small One with oddly-colored hair emerged from the cave entrance, blinking her eyes against the sunlight. "Murder, all right, and I need clues," she said, apparently to herself, as she began to check out what was around her.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"What," I asked Marcus sweetly. "You'd rather go back to a town full of eye-witnesses that might, maybe, perhaps be able to pick out a guy with a skeleton on his back out of a line-up for the authorities, the park owners, one of several assassin organizations, or..." and here I couldn't repress a shudder, "my matrimony minded mother?" I shook my head. "I'd rather take my chances with the bears, wolves, and trolls."

Opening the box, now that mother wasn't watching, I began tucking guns into various folds of clothing. "Boris!" I called. "Rifle!"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Grope started to rumble a greeting (and thank you) to the odd-looking Small One, only to be emphatically, if incongruously, shushed by the chipmunk. "You do not want this girl to know you're here," Chippy whispered, a look of sheer panic in his eyes.

Grope was puzzled, but it looked as though the munk knew what was going on here, while he didn't. Four hundred years of living (and more than a few close calls) had taught him that there are times to take good advice from an expert. This seemed like it might be one of those times ... And he had to admit that, even at this distance and in his concealment, the Small One projected a certain aura of, for lack of a better word, chaos. The Many-Fathers-God-Wisdom-Robe felt like it was about to crawl off his torso and start running of its own accord. He'd never had quite that sensation from the thing before.

Soundlessly, he nodded, and melted back into the forest as only a troll can.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

Boris drew out the rifle with all the grace of a military spinner ending with a pose that brought the butt of the rifle where Jamie could grab it. After she took it, He nodded at resumed his spot on my back.

"Yeah..well... we could... damnit you're right... though I was kinda interested in meeting that fourbreasted blacksmithess..ah well." I looked up at the mountain.

"Plus it's not the native wildlife that worries me. It's the native wildlife that's been MODIFIED by a certain family of insane mages.... imagine the 'wabbit' treatment.. ON BEARS... Think there's a name for em Yu Gue? or something...."
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Four breasted..." I blinked, then sighed. MEN. "Road to town's that way, bub." I started walking as I shot a thumb in the direction I was headed away from.

Still, I had to admit that Marcus had a point about one thing. The mountains were dangerous. I unslung my rifle and checked that it was loaded, then the shotgun, and then followed that up with the pistols as I walked, not caring if the boys were following.

And trying not to think about mother. She was going to be PISSED.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

"What, I'm not allowed a few dirty jokes?" I had to admit, I'm surprised Jamie didn't flash smirk at that one. "I didn't ..... nevermind." I picked up the pace and followed after her.

It wasn't long before we came across what I guessed was a hiking trail.... no, there was death here, it was a hunter's path. The ground only had roots in the way, and they were space well enough that it would be easy to navigate, even with a load. There weren't any wide rocks or low branches either. Not a bad way to get up the mountain. Jamie caught onto it and led us up a ways.

It wasn't long before distant echos of a gunshot rippled over the ridge.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Everybody OK with moving ahead to nightfall? There's not really much more stuff obviously happening during the day, and this would be a good time to re-synchronize with the Centoriel thread, where night is falling.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

kay.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Actually, we could jump ahead to the next morning, but there's one thing I want to throw in first... /OOC:]

With the moon a few nights past full, Grope was looking forward to some darkness with which to get around the strange, hostile compound. Like all trolls, he had excellent night vision, although he preferred not to use it; trolls needed sleep, too. However, this seemed like a time to take advantage of the cover. There was a most unsettling absence of game here, and he'd been completely unable to hunt while close to the compound -- not that he needed it to satisfy an appetite after the morning's success, but the forms must be observed. It was definitely time to get away from this place and the "Mesuinu," whatever it was.

He'd only gone a mile or two north, however, before he realized that the moon may be absent, but the sky wasn't that dark. The silly Small Ones' mountain of madness to the west glowed like a forest fire, and the compound itself emitted plenty of light too, much of it with that weird greenish glow that he'd come to associate with magic -- frightening magic. Well, that would give him just a little more light to help guide his way ...

... And to let him see the silhouette of something large and dragon-shaped passing overhead, from the compound toward the amusement park.

Is that a "Mesuinu"? If so, I'm glad I didn't stay around to tangle with it, Grope thought, not realizing how improbably accurate his guess was.