Lorenzel and Ramanzel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Lorenzel and Ramanzel

Post by Graybeard »

"How did you know this?" Brother Miguel, stunned, asked Sister Rose.

"Let's step over into our room for a minute," Rose said. That'll give me a moment to come up with an answer ... because I am not going to tell him about the Nuria family library. Well, maybe just in broadest detail ... Yes, that should work.

"Miguel, when are you and Marilyn going to get married?" she asked, once they were in private.

Miguel did a double-take at the apparent non sequitur. "I ... Actually, I've been thinking about that on this trip," he confessed. "I think I'll pop the question as soon as we get back to Kiyoka. I'm ready now, and I know she is. But what does that have to do with what I asked you?"

Rose turned away, and took just a moment to compose her face -- just the right blend of remembered pain, sternness, sympathy -- before turning back to Miguel. "Kenny and I had a very good marriage -- it didn't last long enough, of course, and I'll never fully recover from that, but it was good while it lasted. GREAT while it lasted. One of the things about it was that we had no secrets from each other, and I hope that you and Marilyn are the same way... But there was one thing, or set of things, that I've never shared with anyone, even Kenny, and that's the tradition passed down from Bishop Nuria via what he told his great-grandson, and what that great-grandson told me." And, of course, what's in the library, but let's not get into that. "That stays one hundred per cent within the family. If Kenny and I had had our own family, I'd have told my grandchildren about it when I was a gray old lady. But that's all. And so forgive me if I don't tell you what's in that tradition."

That seemed to do the trick. Miguel had learned a long time ago how important family was to Rose ... which was one reason why she suffered so greatly from being widowed. I'll have to remember that when I propose to Marilyn. I'm not sure whether I want us to be like that, or to treat the Nurias as a cautionary tale, or what, but there's a lesson in there somewhere, for sure. "I understand," he said. "I won't pry any more. Now let's go back and see what everyone has learned about that fairy."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus looked nervously down at the sleepy-eyed little fairy, who was looking up with an expression of bemusement. "Er... take your time!" he said in response to her request for more sleep.

For about the upteenth time, Argus was taken off guard. Aside from meeting a pedagogusi... and getting a hug from Sasha of all people, he still had a lot on his mind. It was a very peculiar time indeed for the former Dr. Cleiviein.

Naturally, Harker chose this moment to pop up.

"Excuse me," he said politely to the little fairy, "But can I draw you naked?"

Argus sort of blanked out, features locked in a Silent Scream of Ultimate Horror, at the realization that Harker had just propositioned an elf demigod.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

A slow look of confusion, bemusement, and abject horror washed over Compassion's face as she considered Harker's request... then, eventually landing on embarrasment, she power-walked over to the cage bars, bent them apart, and punted Harker straight out the window.

Smoothing down her ruffled hair and adjusting her wings daintily, she flew to the top of the cage and sat perched on the handle. "Right... any other questions? Oh, and can there be coffee?"
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus looked at the window through which Harker had vanished. Right then. Do not, under any circumstances, annoy the little fairy/demigod/whatever. He turned back to the little one with as polite an expression as he could muster. "Firstly, I shall get you some coffee, Miss. Secondly, could you teach me how to do that?" He was only half-joking.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

"The trick is in the mass-to-matter displacement ratios... what you need to do is shift all the weight to-" Compassion froze, tilting her head and furrowing her brow. "Actually, that's not important now. What is important is that I am here on a matter of urgent destiny. Great things are afoot, and while 'the rules' tell me I can't specifically tell you any of the events that are going to unfold, I have come to warn you all. But first... yes, i think some coffee is in order."
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Yep, that's Paedagogusi all right, Sister Rose thought, watching the "exchange" with Harker from the room's doorway. She stepped aside to let Argus pass through, on his way to the kitchen for coffee. Or at least she wants us to think she's Paedagogusi. But I wonder. The Paedagogusi wouldn't have talked about mass-to-matter displacement ratios to the elves. So why's she running on like that to us? I do wonder, I do ...

She murmured to Brother Miguel, who was still bug-eyed looking at the tiny fairy, "Time to sit back and do some listening and learning here. And there's no need for a crisis of faith. What is cannot be incompatible with what is."

Miguel grinned weakly. "Book of Wisdoms, chapter 3, verse 5. I memorized that chapter a long time ago."

"Right. And the Commentaries of Bishop Nuria apply in a situation like this. I wish I'd met the old guy, but he was long before my time, or my grandfather's ... Anyway, I'm not yet willing to take this at face value, but let's learn from it. Meanwhile, we still have a job to do."

----------

So did a number of people at the mission in Kiyoka, as the news of Father Egbert's death made it to the mission.

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose and Brother Miguel were about to go back to Sasha's room and have another look at the strange fairy when there was a knock on the door. A young man in the uniform of a courier service was standing there, a small package in his hand. "Um ... hello ... would either of you happen to be a Doctor Cleiviein?" he said nervously.

Rose and Miguel exchanged a look. "Doctor Cleiviein has stepped out on an errand," Rose said. I wonder what's taking him so long? Coffee shouldn't be that hard to find here. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

The youth shifted his feet, hemmed and hawed for a moment. "I have a parcel to deliver to Dr. Cleiviein. Do you think it would be all right if one of you signed for it?"

Another exchange of looks and shrugs. "I would think so. We're traveling together," Miguel said. He signed the receipt and sent the young man (who didn't appear to be exactly the sharpest tool in the shed) on his way. "Wonder what that's all about?" he asked Rose.

She didn't get as much as a sentence out in reply, however, before there was another knock on the door. This time a young nun of the Reformed Church was in the hallway. "Greetings in the name of Our Lord Luminosita," the girl said courteously. "My name is Sister Penelope. Our abbot requests the pleasure of your company at dinner tonight. He says that special dispensations will be made to allow the attendance of -- non-believers. Will you and your colleagues be able to attend?"

Rose winced. Serves me right for forgetting what my actual duty is here. We should have checked in with the temple before doing anything else. Surely they can't be as bogus as what we saw in Nautkia ... can they? "Thank you for the invitation," she said. "We'll be honored to attend." Arrangements were made, and Penelope left.

Miguel, who'd observed the proceedings in silence, chuckled dryly. "Did you remember to save a seat for our little fairy?" he asked. In reply, Rose could do nothing but glare...

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus wandered in about that time with a cup of coffee and the smallest spoon he could find. Weave, the service in this place was bad! All that effort just for a cup of coffee? Ah well...

He noticed Rose and Miguel talking to each other and nodded in their direction as he stepped back into Sasha's room. "Coffee, as asked." Vaguely, he wondered how much the little one could drink.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith fidgeted nervously. Finally she quietly muttered, "I'm not sure that's a good idea. I've heard those things can get a bit energetic even without caffeine..." But then she turned to Argus. "Where ever did you find it?"
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"I'm not messing around with something of her likely level of power," Argus muttered back. "Until I know more, she's basically royalty to me. Oh, and ask the bored-looking woman at the end of the bar downstairs. She has her head screwed on straight and will actually brew it for you." Lillith nodded, looking longingly at Argus' cup.

Civil conversation. It was a start, anyway.