Lorenzel and Ramanzel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Lorenzel and Ramanzel

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: One minor amendment to what just happened: it's a two-horse wagon, being a bit large for one horse to haul. The modifications are obvious. Otherwise, great writing there. /OOC:]

Sister Rose and Brother Miguel looked at each other, sighed. "I suppose we must," Rose said. "At the very least, we need to check in with this Millenarian priest who's related to Egbert. I'm not looking forward to that, but it needs to be done."

"So it does," Miguel said, his expression a bit sour; he really wished he had the energy left to cast the Hygiene spell that Maduin had tossed off so casually. Well, the spoor of the cellar would dissipate eventually. First, though, a thing needed doing here. "Before we go, I think we might want to take some steps to preserve that body we found. We'll have to report it back to our headquarters --" dare we use the parrots while this Tsuirakuan "observer" is with us? I'm not sure -- "and they might send someone out to investigate -- someone else, I devoutly hope. With the cellar open, it's not going to stay intact for long. Argus, Maduin, Lillith, can any of you do anything to stabilize the thing and prevent it from being tampered with?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Erm..." Argus hesitated. "Bone isn't something I usually work with, but I can manipulate wood alright, so I might be able to do something..." he looked at Lillith and Maduin. "Any ideas? Preservative spells? Something to just hold it together? Some sort of stasis effect?"
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Fixed! /OOC]

Maduin blinked, and then his brow furrowed. "Well, at a party, the last thing you want is for your corsage to wilt or your hair to fall out of place. Preservation spells for the more . . . mature aren't at all unusual. The theory is about the same I suppose, though I've not had an occasion to use the latter yet. If you're just wanting to keep things as they are, it's probably even less draining than vivifying old flesh. I suppose it'd need a fair bit more power though in order to make it last for . . . four days? Maybe five?" He glanced at Brother Miguel. "Would that be enough?"

Maduin didn't wait for a response, but looked to Argus. "Would you mind lending me a hand, Dr. Cleiviein? It would probably be easier if we just layered a barrier over the opening rather than trying to enspell the entire cellar and I don't doubt it'd be just as effective."

He glided inside, the reason they were even casting the spell already half-forgotten as he mulled over the appropriate spell shapes and paradigms in his mind, trying to decide how they'd fit together best. He paused beside the cellar door, the scent of roses almost vanquished beneath the remnants of the odor circulating from below, expression distracted.

It was at once easier and more strenuous than he'd expected, weaving the magic in familiar patterns that took on an unfamiliar roughness, saturated with more power than he was accustomed to using in such an intricate spell-shape, forcing him to take his time threading it, layering it carefully in place, distantly aware that if they goofed, they'd probably both be looking at a fairly serious case of what could either be frostbite or paralysis.

He was devoutly grateful for Argus's assistance. There was no mistaking the older man for anything besides a master of his craft, his grip on the magic reassuringly solid. With his help, Maduin tucked in the last thread of the spell and watched the whole of their carefully built web of magic collapse into place, nestling tightly within the confines of the entrance to the cellar.

He stepped back, feeling a momentary rush of weakness, but brushed it off. At least, he thought with a faint smile, the stench was gone, walled away beneath the barrier that now glowed faintly blue in the dimness.

Maduin met Brother Miguel's inquiring look with a deliberately strengthened smile to conceal his weariness. "I'd not advise that anyone try to actually dispel that until it's had at least a couple of days to weaken."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Very impressive, Sister Rose thought. This pretty well removed any doubt as to whether Maduin had the full Tsuirakuan spellcaster's arsenal. That was good to know.

"Let's go find Ramanzel," she said, "but first, let's see if we're missing anything here. Miguel, why don't you and Sasha get the wagon ready to go?" And maybe launch a parrot while Maduin is distracted. He seems like a good guy, but I'm still not sure we should be showing off that capability to an "official" Tsuirakuan. "Lillith, let's you and me check out the barn and the fields. Maduin and Argus, are you guys OK with finishing looking the house over?"

The pairs of explorers started about their business, and it wasn't long before Lillith had something to say. "Rose, there has been a change here. I can feel it. The spirits are calmer than they were when we got here."

Rose nodded. "I can sense it too, although I'm not as attuned to the 'spirits,' as you put it, as you are. And I have a guess as to why. Look at that." She gestured toward the forest, which now ended a good half mile away from the farm property. That was a change; when they'd arrived here, the trees came almost to the edge of the fields, at least on the sides away from town. "I don't know whether the forest moved while we were hiding from the storm, or the farm did, or maybe both. Whatever it was, this place feels calmer, quieter."

"And safer," Lillith added, her face showing that that observation was long overdue.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin walked through the empty house, peeking briefly into empty rooms, glancing around, finding nothing more sinister than more drape-covered furniture. He opened a door to what was obviously a bedroom, an empty bedframe standing beneath the window, what was probably a dresser or a vanity off to one side, anonymous beneath its coverings. He was about to close the door, and his eyes caught on a flash of color on the floor.

It was a homemade rag doll, her dress made of faded green paisley, her hair of brown wool. two wooden button eyes glazed with dust. Her limbs were simple tubes of grayed fabric, a faint line of reddish color denoting what was left of her mouth.

Maduin crouched down to study it, intrigued. In Tsuiraku, dolls were creations of magically reinforced porcelain and enameled eyes and rosy cheeks, garbed in elaborate frocks and dresses thick with lace and frills and ruffles, their hair as carefully styled as a ballroom dancer's under equally fancy hats. They wore immaculate stockings and little shoes, their delicately articulated, stiff little fingers often clutching a parasol or a little basket, dainty things fit for a little girl's tea party.

And yet, this homepsun little maiden had an earthy charm of her own despite her humble makings, leaving him to wonder why it had been left behind by its owner, almost certainly one of the girls in the picture. He pursed his lips, brow furrowing, and it was only as he studied it, that he noticed dust wasn't piled as thickly on her shapeless face as it was on the floor around her, as though it had been brought here long after the house had been abandoned.

He bit his lip and leaned forward, fingers extending. There was a story here. He reached out, fingers a hairsbreadth from the paisley fabric . . .

"Maduin! We're leaving!"

Maduin glanced down at it, and then straightened and turned away, giving it one last backward look before he closed the door slowly and quietly behind him.
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on September 1st, 2009, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus gave the house another going-over before shrugging and leaving. There was nothing more to find there.

He had to admit; he was impressed. Maduin had just laid down an impressive magical effect. Effeminate? Maybe. Foppish? Oh hell yes. But Maduin was a magician, through and through, and there was no doubting it anymore. Argus found his respect for the man increasing. Just more proof that you couldn't judge a book by its cover.

He glanced down at his own rather humble garb and chuckled dryly. As if he was one to talk. Shaking his head, he wandered back towards the house's entrance, wondering all the while why in blazes there was skeleton and a fraction in the cellar.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin met Argus at the door and gave the older gentleman a bright smile. "Thank you again for your assistance with the spell, Dr. Cleiviein. I'm not all certain that I could have managed that by myself. I't's been a year since I finished up at Dani, so I'm a little out of practice with the higher-grade enchantments."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus snorted. "You're pretty damn skilled for someone who's out of practice," he commented. From Argus this was actually quite high praise. "If you don't mind my asking, what did you major in? Any specialty?"
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin's smile warmed under the flattery. "Glamourie was probably my best subject in college. I had the very great privilege of working with Kiyodamara Wythe during my senior year. Perhaps you've heard of her? She's one of the leading researchers in psychic applications of magic, particularly regarding perceptions."

Maduin glanced back at the trap door. "Dr. Wythe was the one who actually helped me to discover that I had a knack for biologically and temporally-based magic as well." He winked at Argus. "It's how she manages to look like a very gracious fifty at seventy-five, but don't tell her I gave out her secret."

He stepped out into the sunlight, replacing his plaid newsboy cap atop his golden-brown curls and clasping his hands behind his back. "I'm planning on opening a salon when I get back to Tsuiraku. At least, that's where my talents seem to lie anyway."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus smirked. "That explains a LOT about professor Wythe," he chuckled. Psychic applications? Interesting. Taking Maduin in, Argus was starting to wonder if the young man wasn't selling himself short. There was certainly something impressive there, and he hated to see wasted potential...

But, then Maduin should do whatever made him happy. It was a basic rule that so many forgot.

"A saloon, eh? Somehow that seems very... you." Argus contemplated Maduin, and his talents. He had to admit, that it all fit very nicely.