Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Graybeard »

"Nera?" Layla echoed; she'd been a little distracted, watching a duck paddle around the end of the jetty down the beach from the hotel. "That's your daughter? She's a cute girl, I saw her earlier. Which reminds me, I should introduce myself. I'm Layla, and this fine fellow here is Zachary. See the duck, Zacky?" Her attention was diverted back away from Marcus as she fussed over her son, pointing out the waterfowl. That was something you didn't see every day in Kugelheim; in fact, as far away from significant bodies of water as it was, you just didn't ever see ducks that big there. Must be something in the water, she thought; it probably had enough to eat along this waterfront to feed an ostrich.

"So what brings you to town?" she asked pleasantly, as Zachary gurgled on her lap.

---------

As it happened, Faye, who'd caught up with the skulking pair of hoods easily enough, was asking a nearly identical question at the same time, but inflected considerably less pleasantly. "All right, what are you two assholes doing here?"

Fritz did his best to meet a scowl with a scowl, not thinking for the moment that Faye's scowl had a great deal more high-powered Gewehr force behind it than his own. "We got a special job t' do. I don't think you an' the Golden Girl got a need to know, so we ain't gonna tell you what it is." Weed nodded agreement; he didn't like silver-spoon-in-her-mouth Layla, nor her pushy mother, any more than Fritz did.

"I can get the need to know very rapidly," Faye said levelly. "Now give." Her facial expression went from a scowl to the neutrality of a death mask, which anyone who knew her would have found extraordinarily frightening.

"Nope," Fritz smirked. "Orders from way up on high on this one." He spoke a name that gave even Faye a moment of pause. "An' we ain't gonna share th' credit for it with your bitchy daughter this time."

Faye was really having to exert her very substantial self-control now. There were Neanderthals in the Gewehr who simply couldn't handle the notion of women doing well in the organization. Evidently she'd run into two of them ... but that name did carry some meaning. It might be time to back off just a little -- not very much, but slightly. "Just be aware that there's an operation going on here that is one hell of a lot bigger than you are," she said. "You keep your damn hands off it and off my daughter." (This elicited smirks that went away as soon as the two men figured out that Faye was talking about Layla's professional, not personal, corpus.) "Against my better judgment, we will do the same, although you two could use some buffing up on your tradecraft. Half the cops in town are probably on to you, and you can bet your last penny that the Seeadler are too. But you go ahead and do your job ... and so help me, if you do anything to screw up our gig, I will personally cut off your balls and feed them to you."

She didn't wait for the mocking reply, but stalked off, making sure that the yahoos' hands were in plain sight until she rounded a corner. Again she asked herself what those two idiots were doing in town, then decided she didn't really care any more.

---------

Remarkably enough, the duck was asking itself a very similar question as well.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

Post by koshkoo »

Graybeard wrote:
((OCC: Yes I heard you loud and clear... you want duck for dinner...))

Low and behold, for the looming presence of danger was never far... quack or no quack the said duck suddenly sinks like a rock, as if something had dragged it down below.

Bubbles of air guzzle out from the spot before there was a violent trash that broke the rhythmic layers of waves that endlessly wash towards the shore. For those that bears eye witness of this sudden eruption of a struggle for life, a whip of a tentacle lashes upon the elongated neck of the wing beating on water, quacking for it's life duck... and once again all that was left was a trail of bubbles; this time with a spare feather that floats up.....

Terror from the deep.
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
koshkoo wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
((OCC: Yes I heard you loud and clear... you want duck for dinner...))
ROTFLMAO ... That was hilarious ... No, I actually had something else in mind (see very top of section). But we can work with this! Thanks, funniest moment in this group of threads in months...

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I let the inquiry about Nera hang, and addressed the other question first. "Business. Well... sorta. Coming up we ended up crossing the channel, using a makeshift hanging gondola, don't ask me to explain it. Anyway, before that we fought some weird giant bird things, and this sinker ship. Thing popped out of the channel, started shooting at us, for no apparent reason, then dropped down into the water and started going."

I could read the disbelief on her face. "Listen, we live in a world where a whole damn CITY is floating in the air over a volcano lake or something like that. A boat that an maintain an atmosphere and above water pressure isn't really that big a stretch." I couldn't tell through her poker face, but I figured she was still paying attention.

"So we fight the thing, I think I wounded it with a fireball turned air bomb; think fish in a barrel but with considerably more barrel. Then my group, which then include two trolls." She gave me a look that I'd given to more than one rambling drunkard. "Yeah, I'm not gonna explain that. One was a friend of Lucas, this guy we follow around. ANYWAY, these guys turned a gear in Lucas's head, which led to one of the Trolls, the younger one, recalling rumors he'd heard about tribes going missing, and Lucas figured these guys were kidnapping trolls."

"This being a bad thing for the trolls, they've heading up north to investigate, Across the sea to some Island of thralls or something. We're getting a boat to follow 'em cause, well... I dunno. I get a feeling I need to go there... blow some people up maybe, probably." I could feel a bit of a chill as Layla held Zachary a bit closer. I didn't blame her. "But NOW we've got all sortsa crap. We've got the Seedler watching us, but that's okay cause we're hiring them to get us to the island. Then this dude from um.... Ice and Faust? Shows up saying there's gonna be an attack on Jamie. Then her mom points out that there are like, three other people following them around."

I sighed and held my head in my hands. "It's been a crazy ride so far." I laughed a bit, "And it's only gonna get better."
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Okay,he's out of ıt. Nomnomnomnomonom. Tıme to get some food. What's dog doıng here? . Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Worm!!He leaves. Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Nest food!Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Worm good food. Eat worm. Worm not escape. SQUEEEEE! Nononono!. Nest hıgh! Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Nest not good. Food! Runrunrunrun, chase food. Nest weak, needs more grass. Dııg dııg dııg . Need food! . NEED FOOD NOW!!! nomnomnomnomnomcluck Fly nest, feed chıcks Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. nomnomcluckOWOWOWOW. Squueeee! AAAAA!Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Work.Work.Work. Move.Move.Move. Dııg dııg dııg .[/size] Dııg dııg dııg .[/size] CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Perhaps he only thınks he's hearıng that. That would not be much better. He trıed to shut ıt out, and ıt nearly made hım ınsane. Then he trıed to make sense of ıt all, and ıt probably dıd make hım ınsane. He's okay now. He really ıs. No worse than most others.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I was pretty sure they wouldn't hit until after dark. There would be too many witnesses otherwise. And nobody was going to be stupid enough to try to pop me in front of tons of witnesses. So that left time.

Okay, bored now.

I walked down the hallway and knocked on mother's door.

"Hmm?" Mother peered out at me after she opened up. "Jamie? What are WHATAREYOUWEARING?"

"Swimsuit. I was thinking I might take Nera to the beach."

"Swimsuit?" Mother looked taken aback. "Jamie, that doesn't even count as lint."

"You're exaggerating. Badly." And she was. Yes, it was a two piece thing, but it covered up considerably more of my skin than I'd seen a group of Tsuirakuan's doing last year. And it wasn't like I had all that much to show off anyway. "Look, do you want to come along? Or shall I bring Nera alone?"

Mother sighed. "Just a moment." She closed the door, leaving me standing there in the hallway in a swimsuit. I swear, she did that on purpose. Soon after, though, the door opened.

"Luminosita's tits," I declared. "And you were complaining about me?" Mother was wearing a bikini that might have gotten the Tsuirakuan's attention as she bobbled Nera on her hip.

"Well," she smiled, "I'm old enough to get away with it."

"Emphasis on 'old,'" I replied.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla's head spun under the torrent of speech. Weird giant bird things ... this sinker ship... two trolls ... friend of Lucas ... kidnapping trolls ... Island of thralls ... Seedler (must be "Seeadler," Layla realized) ... Eisenfaust ... Jamie ... three other people following them around.

"It sounds like you lead an exciting life," she averred, buying a little time. "Us, we're just in town to try to get a vineyard open and working right again. That's the kind of thing I do back home, at least when I'm not off having adventures like that first time I saw you. With this little guy, I don't think I'm up for any more excitement than that." She grinned and kissed Zachary on top of his head, getting a heartbreakingly huge smile for her trouble.

One thing in this fellow's wall of words got her attention. Jamie. She hadn't known the details, and she wasn't really supposed to know anything at all, but she knew that Arty had had a job to take out someone named Jamie back in Kiyoka. It couldn't be ... could it? No, of course not. That Jamie was just some punk who'd rubbed the Gewehr the wrong way. It was hard to tell, the Tsuirakuan language being gender-neutral, but it sounded as if that one was male, which this kid's wife quite clearly was not. Jamie was also a common enough name in her generation, and was applied to both sexes; she'd known three different Jamies growing up in Kugelheim, two boys and a girl, and none of them, as far as she knew, targeted for extermination by the Gewehr brain trust. No, this didn't sound like anything to worry about.

The Eisenfaust part was interesting. She knew that the Gewehr had at least an uneasy truce going with their long-time rivals, although she hadn't been put in the picture as to why. But what were they doing here in town? Their sphere of influence was even further away from Rinkaiel than the Gewehr's. On the other hand, she had to admit, the Eisenfaust was being more effective about expanding their operations than the Gewehr was. Part of that was because of the losses the Gewehr had been taking in places like Kiyoka and Veracia (she shuddered at the memories), and part was because the Eisenfaust had been more aggressive in adopting Tsuirakuan magical gadgetry than her own people had -- she wasn't really supposed to know that, but Layla was a very effective intelligence gatherer. Well, that's why I'm here. She made a mental note to report the Eisenfaust presence when they got back home.

Her meditations were interrupted by the clip-clop of hoofbeats on asphalt. She knew what it was, and without thinking, morphed back into her cover story. "Oh, that sounds like my husband getting in from the airship terminal." Maybe eventually, anyway, and I did say that with a straight face... "We'd better get back to the room and help him settle in. Nice to see you again, and I hope everything works out with the people who are after your wife. It sounds like you've got plenty of firepower to take them on with, anyway." She smiled as goodbyes were exchanged and took Zachary back into the north door of the inn, to pass through to where Ace was arriving ... just a moment before Jamie and Nera emerged from the east end, ships passing unseen in the night (or afternoon, anyway).

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I smiled and gave a nod as she departed with her son. Standing up I felt the urge to walk along the beach a bit. But even in my casuals I was likely to look a bit of a fool. Time to bust out some trunks. I took a brisk stride upstairs, noting Boris was headless and once again hidden in a cabinet somewhere. Jamie wasn't here and I couldn't hear or sense Jasmine or Nera in the next room. Odds were good Jamie was taking a walk in town again, maybe scoping out escape routes if things got out of hand.

I switched into a pair of trunks that hugged parts of my body tightly, but refrained from exuded pressure on other places. It was reaching the afternoon peak, the near hottest part of the day, and I headed back to the ground floor, sandals flopping as I headed out to do a little body surfing.

It occurred to me as I started walking down the beach toward the cresting waves, that the various scars on my body, specifically my back, would raise a few whispers and gasps.... and I was right. Though... I guess it was a port town where sailors were always present, but scars seemed a good thing, at least to the locals... or so it seemed.

Whatever, I was gonna get some wave time in; leering or not. I let a rolling wave strike me around knee level, enjoying the cold as a second rolled up waist height. I laughed and inhaled, diving into the ebbing wave and swimming into the coastal shallows.

(BEACH PARTY!!!)
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"You know that phrase, 'Chicks dig scars?'" I smiled at mother as I settled into the sand next to Ayiee.

"Yes, I know it," mother replied.

I tossed a gesture towards where Marcus was cavorting in the waves.

"Hmm," mother replied, evaluatingly. "No... I still don't get it. The scars don't do anything for me. Now, I admit, he's got a nice butt."

"Mother!" I slapped at mother's arm playfully. "He's like... half your age."

"Oh, I doubt that. I was pretty young when I had you, you know." Mother smiled. "Jealous?"

"Not remotely," I sniffed. I settled Nera down to play in the sand, then immediately found myself fighting her hands to keep her from eating sand. "Want him? He's yours."

"Is he any good?"

"MOTHER!"
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(You alive~!!!)

I let a heavy wave strike me in the chest and drag me underneath the wave; twisting my body around and back. My roll reached an apex and I snapped out of the water more like a fish than a person. There were rivers and lakes near where I'd lived in the North, and it wasn't much colder there than it was here in the ocean water.

It stun a bit though, the salt water.

I was drifting on my back when I found myself almost on the shore. My feet found ground as I headed toward a few wide flat rocks I could sun myself on; like a great lizard. I was nearly there when I caught sight of a wave, the greeting gesture, not the ocean movement. Jamie was with Nera and she'd donned a two piece that brought a smile to my face. The smile faltered and my eyes went wide when I saw Jasmine.

I turned on my heels and nearly ran into the cold water before things became obvious and awkward.