Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Graybeard »

The sun was setting, and dinner time was approaching. "Let me take the kiddo for a walk while you get settled in," Faye told Layla, wondering how "settled in" she and Ace would be by the time she got back. Hey, a sex life is a good thing; I had one once. She wandered down the beach toward Rice's food stand, which she observed had undergone a minor transformation since lunch time. There were now a couple of small tables out in front, with stools for people to "dine in." Might this be a reasonable place for them to have dinner? Lunch had been satisfactory, after all, even if the meat had been ... odd. She noticed that "Rinkai Duck" was on the menu. Yes, this seemed like something they'd want to try.

Two men were sitting at one of the tables and looked up at her as she passed by. Their features, and particularly their clothing, looked foreign; Tsuirakuan, obviously, and probably from Tsuirakushiti itself. One looked up at her and nodded a greeting that Faye decided to return. "I can see that you're from Tsuiraku," she said with a smile, in a voice just loud enough for Rice to hear. "Welcome to our country and our city. Are you enjoying your time here?"

--------

Meanwhile, Joe had made it back to the liquor store and explained the situation to Oskar. "Can you get over to the vineyard and start setting up a stakeout? Layla and Faye think they smell a rat there." The large man rumbled agreement and set off.

--------

And much further away, three trolls finally got to within range of a particular site that they wanted to stake out as well.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

Post by koshkoo »

Graybeard wrote:The sun was setting, and dinner time was approaching. "Let me take the kiddo for a walk while you get settled in," Faye told Layla, wondering how "settled in" she and Ace would be by the time she got back. Hey, a sex life is a good thing; I had one once. She wandered down the beach toward Rice's food stand, which she observed had undergone a minor transformation since lunch time. There were now a couple of small tables out in front, with stools for people to "dine in." Might this be a reasonable place for them to have dinner? Lunch had been satisfactory, after all, even if the meat had been ... odd. She noticed that "Rinkai Duck" was on the menu. Yes, this seemed like something they'd want to try.

Two men were sitting at one of the tables and looked up at her as she passed by. Their features, and particularly their clothing, looked foreign; Tsuirakuan, obviously, and probably from Tsuirakushiti itself. One looked up at her and nodded a greeting that Faye decided to return. "I can see that you're from Tsuiraku," she said with a smile, in a voice just loud enough for Rice to hear. "Welcome to our country and our city. Are you enjoying your time here?"
((OCC: Oh my gosh, I mentioned dropping hints, now I'd be blind to miss this hint he he... On with the show however!))

Rice had set up before her coach/caravan/cart two tables. The tables themselves compose of four pieces of bamboo tied together in the middle like a tripod with dried up vine woven ropes. Two bamboo strips tied into a cross was used as a base with a harden leather pulled over it to form a flat surface rigid enough to hold quite a good amount of weight. The table was square with a small canister hanging just below the knot in the middle, within burns some lightly fragrant incest used to ward off nasty bugs yet doesn't burn out too much smoke. In the middle of the table stood a bamboo cup with various cutlery there, Oval deep ceramic spoons, wooden pair of spoon and fork, carved and charred slightly darker in colour, and two pair of bamboo sticks which is anyone's guess what it's for.

Four stools with a similar fashion like the table surround each side, using three strips of bamboo instead making a tripod, and four more taller stools at the counter by Rice's open kitchen window.

The 'menu' Rice had hung up is simply the roasted, cooked and prepared food she has to serve for the night, hung along a pole above the array of stoves. There were ducks, fish, and strips of meat of unknown origins hanging there, since Rice couldn't write, she'll leave menu advertising up to the food themselves. Various pots simmer on the stove and the preparation counter on the left now stacked with various urns containing different ingredients. From afar there's a steady trail of white steam trailing out of the chimney on the pointer roof, aroma of cooked food lingering around the area. Two red lanterns, hung on each side of the counter window gives enough illumination when it gets dark and three more smaller ones hung within the kitchen. Flaps of canvas rolled down the small roof above the counter window provides the customers who sat at the counter a little more privacy, as well as shelter against the elements and bugs while dining there. The red flaps of canvas themselves bear the mark of Rice's family.

Rice's ear did perk up hearing the word Tsuiraku, as she was still preparing what two of her customers had ordered, she'd decide to find out more on how the distinguish this Tsuirakuan people from the rest, something to pass her time at least, perhaps this offer could get her something other than ingredients, since she never seem to run out of things to maul and cook. Wouldn't hurt to find out more... she figured to herself.
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]"...some lightly fragrant incest..." HEY! Jamie's a bit oversexed, but she's not into her own moth... Oh... you meant Incense! Sorry... (Couldn't resist, sorry to poke fun at you, you're a good writer and I'd like you to stick around. I just couldn't resist the joke.)[/OOC]

"Okay, got the sheets bolstered to look like there's bodies under them, got the windows and doors nicely locked, got a nice thick table turned on its side to serve as a shield... I'm ready!" I said to myself, smiling. "They can attack any time now!"

"Yep! Any time..."

"Yeah..."

"Any time now..."

"..."

"Something smells good..." I wandered down to the beach, not caring about the fact that the pistol I'd stuffed in my bikini tie was stretching the fabric.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

Boris was sitting in the darkness within the bathroom, peering through a slit too narrow to perceive him from the room. His blade was drawn and he was sitting on a bathroom stool. He was waiting. Silently. Perfectly still; absolutely still, like a sniper inhaling for the shot.

Though he wondered if they'd come at all. After Marcus's little 'attack', what would they do?
===

I'd left the inn following dusk, fully dressed and staff in hand. I'd been taking a walk, mumbling under my breath and looking all the part of a recently agitated newlywed. My choice of paths was pretty limited, even in a city, but I eventually caught sight of the two thugs returning with heavy packs.

I didn't want to think about what they had in there. As they started to place them on the side of the building, I closed in for the kill. They were putting bombs, some kind of bombs, on the building. If it had just been me and Jamie, I'd have smacked them around some more. But now innocents were in the targeting radius.

Now those idiots were going to die.

My staff hummed aloud in the dark as I charged it with some of the grey I'd gathered from the Mordicant. It was still a bit angry, the energy, so it was quick to fill the staff. A swing and a slap and I'd brought a heavy splash of death right into the larger thug's face.

That sounded rather phallic...
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Fritz screamed and recoiled backward, dropping the bomb. Weed's reflexes kicked in; he too dropped his load (so to speak), dove for cover, drew his revolver with surprising speed and grace, and fired, although he wasn't sure at what.

---------

Layla would maintain for years that the rumors of what she and Ace were up to when she heard the roar of magic, followed by the gunshot, were just that, rumor and innuendo. They weren't in that compromising a position, after all. Really, they weren't. She didn't even have to put much clothing back on.

"Hey, we're off duty," Ace smiled as Layla rummaged around her luggage to find a gun. He had a little more dressing to do, but not really all that much either. Besides, it sounded like the noise was coming from the other end of the building.

Layla didn't care. Disheveled or not, she was tooled up, and there was a baby to be rescued, or at least cuddled. It was just one of those mommy things. In ten seconds she was across the hall, banging on her mother's suite's door. "Mom! Are you all right? Is Zacky all right? Where are you? MOM!"

---------

Faye and Zachary were more than all right, actually; Faye was enjoying a free sample of Rinkai Duck a distance down the beach at Rice's stand. Yes, this should do nicely for dinner, she thought, just as the report from the gunshot reached them. Her attitude was much like Ace's: either Fritz and Weed were winning, in which case everything was all right, or they were losing, and Darwinielian selection was at work... but either way, whatever was going on, it was nothing for them to get involved in.

---------

And slightly farther down the beach, a pair of men in the uniforms of the Rinkaiel police force heard the shot, and took off at a run.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I swore as the gunshot scored through my hood. I stalked forward burning grey to sense the places that would mean my death. Shots were fired, four of them, before a ka-thunk of a revolver jamming preluded a stream of swearing. The man threw the gun at me, and it sailed over my head.

I closed in, my cloak slightly ventilated and my side burning from a shallow wound. Not lethal, but damnit.

I grabbed him as he tried to scramble away, pulling him back into the alleyway. I saw the last flickers of shadow blend as Sally was doing something with the explosives. They were still there, but... ah. Fingerprints.

The moron I caught was smart enough to have gloves. His buddy had taken his off to do the wiring. The gloved idiot was crying, pissing himself, and generally paniking.

It got worse when he saw his friend.

"Okay, shit." I spoke in my best 'dark-shadowy-evil-stalker-demon' voice. "You have one chance. ONE. To answer the following questions. Who do you work for? What group? Why did they send someone after Jamie? Who else from the group is here? Are they your back up? Answer truly, and I'll leave you here for the cops. Lie?" I stepped back and he saw the naked skull of his dead partner. "And I do that, starting with your BALLS."

He spoke, stuttering, naming his boss, the Wraiths, Layla and her family, and simply their task. They were expendable. They probably were going to be silenced if they did their job anyway.

"Well then." I held up a finger as it glowed with darkness. "Time for you to die."

"But you said-" He stuttered, pushing up against the wall.
"I never said I'd leave you alive." And I killed him. The boot steps of the police were close, within a block. I moved into the shadows, quickly moving through the path and working my way around. There was a good smell coming from a ways away. I was feeling hungry after all.

----

A few minutes later, after some careful stepping and side stepping, I was chewing on a nice piece of duck. Jamie was sitting nearby, dressed only slightly more than she had been last I saw her. Not only that, but Layla's mother, Faye, and Zachary, the former was making reservations for dinner; for next day likely.

I walked passed them catching the older woman's eye for a moment; I gave the slightest of nods. I hope she got the message. Sitting down next to Jamie, who was a bit startled.

"They were going to blow up the whole damn inn." I said before she spoke. Her jaw dropped, luckily she'd swallowed a moment ago. "They're dead now, cops should be too worried checking the inn for bombs... Boris'll be able to keep your gear covert." I saw her sour at this but she went back to eating her duck before she spoke again.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

Post by koshkoo »

((OCC: Just how many things/ person am I feeding anyways? Head count for those that's already sat down... A little more details out greatly be appreciated, so I can have Rice make stuff accordingly. There is two tables four chair each, and four more chairs at the counter where Rice could talk to her customers... Last I checked there's two NPC tsuikaru were sitting at a table... are they still there?
You folks are amazing for being able to keep track of so many things at once X.X I on the other hand get confused quite easily X.X... answer truthfully and I won't have Rice feed you folk fried roaches, bat's milk, lizard's tail noodles :P
@ Sareth, don't worry about it, in fact sorry I didn't bother to spell check my posts, thanks for pointing it out for me... fragrant incest *snickers*))
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(ooc: Okay, there's the two NPC's at one table. Faye with the baby, Zack, talking directly to Rice about dinner arrangements. Jamie and Marcus are at one of the tables outside. GrayBeard is on a weekend vacation. Check your Private Messages.)
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I was a bit irritated by the casual, quiet announcements. I mean, I had actually been looking forward to a bit of fun. Nothing like a good shoot out to make a girl feel alive, and here I'd missed out on th...

"Did you say 'blow up the inn?'"

At Marcus' nod, I swore. I had been pretty convinced they wouldn't be so stupid as to try that. The mess would have been terrible. Even their own people probably would have been after them. That's not the kind of heat that anyone would want brought do...

"Did you say Boris was going to hide my gear?

Another nod, and I swore again.

"If any of my underwear come up missing..."
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I just laughed at that. "Boris isn't to sort to do that kinda thing." He'll go back-pack and that should be enough, if they even go to our room.

I could feel a bit of tension from Faye, but kept speaking.

"I got one of them to squeal a bit. Apparently they were using a liquor store as their safehouse; sitting on it for another team, really. Different mission, he didn't know what. Same group though, but they shouldn't be a problem; we'll be gone before the boss guy gets wise to us."

I hoped Faye would read between the lines and hear the message. 'Back off, we'll be gone soon anyway.'