Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by koshkoo »

Rice was minding her own business, it was always routine for her: Get to a new town, stock up on supplies, find new ingredients, make new food.

She'd always start out simple, skewers, dumplings or simple snacks, get to learn what people like to eat then would she be able to improvise and start serving 'real' food.

This very day she had gathered enough rats with the help of her floating squid familiar to make skewers. People seems to like them but most gave a funny face after the first chew...

~they always came back for more though....~ She thought to herself.

The skewers themselves were made of rat's meat minced and marinated, coated with a thin layer of corn flour and dipped in extremely hot oil that nearly burn the outer layer but leaves the texture of the meat extremely chewy but not one bit dry.

Her skewers would initially have a tough chewy texture, yet the meat still remained relatively 'juicy'. The tangy sour taste promoted salivation which with each chew made her customer gain better appetite, as well as made the meat seem much less dry than it is suppose to be.

The saliva in turn slowly releases the full flavour of the skewer, a bitter sweet hint of honey that lingers at the back of the throat, the tangy sourness that leaves the mouth watering as well as the slight tingle of saltiness.

Rice held out a large piece of leaf that's rolled into a corn shape, filled with a handful of bits and powder, if one inspects closer they might catch hints the powdery mixture was in fact grounded up assortment of ground nuts, almond, cashew, peppermint leaves amongst it and red bits which are goji.

"Here go sir, dip for meat stick." She beams while thrusting out the small madeshift pouch of 'dipping' to her latest customer, either not paying attention to the group's conversation or couldn't understand it. Her voice sounds foreign, bearing a heavy nasal tone and her grammar was far from perfect.

((OOC: I would assume it is handed to that chap that was chewing on them sticks... since I am rather confused even reading through the scene a few times... about who is where any possibility of a quick break down?))
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(ooc: Okay I'll break it down by characters.
The 'I' character I control is Marcus, he's a mid-height human with black hair with silver streaks now, he's dressed in nice clothing under a cloak, which hides Boris, an Animated Skeleton Construct. Greybeard is controlling Jasmine and sometimes Jamie (Sareth's characters) A Doting mother and tomboy assassin respectively. We're talking with Zander, whose announced that he works for Eisenfaust a crime syndicate. For the sake of politeness I'll drop the 'I' for a while)

Marcus turned to the girl and took the 'dip' tapping the end of the meat skewer into it and taking another taste. He's eyes widened at the taste. "I never knew.... huh, what's your trick?" He asked, moving close. He doubted the girl would openly state the type of meat, though something clicked in her voice.

"Where are you from? If you don't mind me asking." There was something familiar about her voice.. the accent maybe?
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
koshkoo
Forum Regular

Post by koshkoo »

((OOC: Thanks, still rather new here so it is rather confusing to try to work out who is who, so I can assume there is at the moment 2 man and 2 female in front of the store, that works for me))

Rice was far from being a girl considering her age, perhaps it was her exotic looks, thin crescent eye brow lining over round watery eyes that is dark amber in colour; with long braid of firey red hair that hangs down her back. Her skin was extremely pale though overall flushed. her nose seems small though not flat, a pair of rosy cheeks that is lined with a sharp chin and thin red lips that made no effort to hide a cheerful though tired wide grin beaming her set of pearl white teeth.

She wore a huge white scarf over her hair, tied to the back of her head which further emphasize her pair of flushed ears that has a quite profound earlobe, covering half her high forehead. She was wearing an apron that is smeared all over with new and old stains of various colour, her lime green sleeves rolled up to her elbow. the stall which is almost chest height covers her lower body from view. Her clothing as well seem exotic. It was obvious she wasn't from this part of the land.

"Sir, trick is dip cut oil... make meat taste more fresh, dip good to bite and make tongue alive." she proclaims proudly, obviously proud of her trade and isn't shy to share it.

She blinks cocking her head sideways though when she was asked where she came from. "Uh..." she taps her chin thinking for a while, "Far away Rice think... maybe near, not sure, Rice is not good with direction... village Hong where Rice come from." she remarks with a soft smile thinly spreading out as she recalls her village.

"Your friends want meat stick too?" she asks in hope of getting more customers.
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[ooc]Did you know this marvelous, painful disease can last three weeks? And that it can cause fevers and dizziness? Big ol' ball o' hate, that's me![/OOC]

Jasmine smiled and started to reach for the offered kebab.

"Got meat stick. That how this," she heard her her daughter say, hoisting Nera up on a hip.

Jasmine took the kebab with her right hand, and slapped Jamie up side the head with her left. "Young lady... first, don't be crude. Second, no making fun of accents. Third, while I'm glad you are acknowledging your daughter at last, we both know it was someone else that got the meat stick. Fourth, what are you snickering at?" She glowered at Marcus. "And finally..." she took a bit. "Delicious! What is it?"

"Rat."

Jasmine turned slightly green. "Rat?"
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

"Yeah, it's rat. Perfectly clean, properly cooked, no diseases at all; rodent. Honestly if more people knew how to catch and cook em, we'd never have a plague again... until the pidgeons come to roost. HA! Nobody in their right mind would eat one of those."

A few people seemed a bit squeemish, hearing the meat's source, but more than one sailor, and a man who carried himself like a captain, moved toward the counter to ask about the recipe, hoping to turn their ship's regular stowaways into main courses.

"Relax, Jasmine, do you think I'd hand you food that wasn't safe to eat? Seriously."

"My compliments to you." Marcus said to the chef.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Mom," I commented, "You're a wimp." I reached out and took another of the skewers, bringing it up to work a bite of it free. While I wasn't, in fact, particularly keen on it, anything I could do to make mother uncomfortable was worth a little effort.

"Wimp?" Mothers eyes narrowed. Clearly I had scored a bullseye. Mother began tearing into the meat with something of a vengeance.

Not to be outdone, I began eating quickly as well, even when hindered by efforts on Nera's part to try to take the skewer.

Soon we were done.

"You're a pretty good cook," I commented. It had, in fact, been rather tasty.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Let's go get you three settled in," Joe said as he drove the hack toward the inn.

As they rode, the three adults thought about what they'd seen at the vineyard. "It certainly had its spooky moments," Faye mused. "Honey, do you think you might be able to get your Tsuirakuan magic instructor to go out there and have a look, maybe set up some wards? They're better at that kind of thing than we are."

"Mmmm ... not sure, let me think about that," Layla said. She was remembering that the artifact at Kinabalu's lab, the one that he'd snapped at her for taking an interest in, had had the same kinds of runes on its surface that the two stones at the vineyard had. Was there a connection? If so, best to tread lightly around it.

"Well, not your problem, at least not yet," Ace said from the reins. "Before you move to town, I'll send a couple of the boys out to check the place over. We looked at it under cover of darkness once or twice previously; that might be what your new handyman was going on about." Or not. "Another look wouldn't hurt. And speak of the devil, look there."

Fritz and Weed were making their way back toward the flat, looking furtive and sneaky. Poor tradecraft, Layla judged. When on a job, you did your best not to have that kind of body language, but rather, to fit into whatever was around you. Whatever they were doing, they should have picked up something from that food-wagon operation out in front of the inn, bought something in one of the beach-front shops, something like that, just to make it look like they belonged here. Sneaking around like that, they were as conspicuous as a pile of coal in a ballroom. Well, they weren't supposed to be particularly bright, and she wasn't supposed to get involved with them, so best to let them go on their way.

"Want me to pick up some lunch while you're getting settled?" Joe asked. The women looked at each other; they hadn't had much to eat lately. They nodded and headed into the inn, as Joe parked the hack and headed over to the wagon, passing Jamie, Jasmine, Marcus and Zander as he went. "Hey, that thing you're eating looks good," he smiled to Jamie. "What is it?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
koshkoo
Forum Regular

Post by koshkoo »

Nothing delights Rice more than the acknowledgment of her art. It had happened so many times in her life yet still it never fails to motivate her.

Her face was oily, beads of sweats pepper her flushed skin and the lady works back and forth diligently. ~This is great! First day and the reception is good, soon enough I am able to gather enough money to get more ingredients... oh the things I could make!~ Rice giggled to herself of the thoughts of the days to come for her journey here so far, things seems to be going her way.

She had tried her best with her limited vocabulary to explain her made up recipe to the sailor that asked for it; somewhere along the line it seems to involve big knife to skull, meat pull from bones and drowning meat in sauce. Even her description of the ingredients she used left the sailor looking dumb folded with twitching eyes.

Urns of marinated meat and ingredients was passed out from a small opening of a window to the supply room, just beside a makeshift 'door' on the end of the kitchen, suggesting she has a helping hand inside as well.

Rice thank the people who give her praise and announced, "Rice can make more if want, would you like try more?"

((OOC: and who said cooking isn't something exciting to RP :D hope my description isn't confusing thus far.))
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
Blackmail
Forum Trainee

Post by Blackmail »

Zander glanced at the proferred meat sticks, undismayed even after hearing what they consisted of. "I'll have one," he said. He hadn't eaten all day, and though he could go for a spell without eating, it didn't mean it was pleasant. Indeed, the cooked meat was rather good. He practically devoured it and was tempted to ask for another. "Thanks, that was really good," he said to the female cook. She must have traveled a ways, because she certainly wasn't from around here. It was harder to understand her at times, but she was kind of cute, at least. And then she offered to make even more, happy that people were enjoying it. Zander couldn't exactly say no to that. "I'll have some more!"
Signatures are overrated.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

I bıd Faye and her companıon goodbye, then head to the shack I usually sleep for the nıght. Í´ll probably sleep outsıde tonıght, though. Those thrıce-damned charms were gettıng to me. The whole "I thınk my coworkers are tryıng to get me kılled" thıng dıdn´t help eıther. I sıt down and thınk. A few months ago, I´d just gıve the ıdıot who trıed to kıll me a pıece of my mınd, then hıghtaıl ıt out of town before anyone found hım. Now, I felt ınterested ın the thıng. Maybe ıt was all the talk today - I hadn´t had much company for a long, long tıme, and those that were here were never keen on talkıng.

I snort to myself. I must have been blubberıng lıke a kıd to those women. I guess I lıke them, somehow, even though I am quıte sure sımply beıng around them ıs dangerous. I sıt down ın the dusk for a few mınutes, tryıng to collect my thoughts.

"Thıngs sure got complıcated today," I tell Sharo. He looks at me wıth dısınterest, and yawns before answerıng. "You talk too much. Just bıte someone. Not the young one though. She smells weırd."

I shake my head sadly. "It´s not only the smell that´s weırd."

Sharo looks at me, puzzled. "Dıd you get a lıck of her or somethıng?"

I look at hım sıdeways for a few moments before eruptıng ın laughter that makes the straw roof shake. After I´m done I take a good swıg from the bottle near my bed and go out. I stıll have some work for tonıght... and maybe durıng the nıght as well.