Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by AdamZero »

(oh my god that's too good for a subtle set up.)

I waited for the men to run off before I calmly replied to the "Just pulling a large weed or two." I managed to calm the heat in the blades and, picking them up gingerly so as not to leave any prints, deposited them in a nearby garbage bin. I figured one of the Seeadlers watching would nick them for examination or disposal. The workers caught the sight of magic, and grumbled something about terror tourists before returning to their work.

I followed the path the men had fled to, killers as they were, there was a 'stink' left by them I could roughly follow. Plus a few inquiries for men in hotel uniforms fleeing in blind panic put me in the right direction. Eventually I had it that they'd run into a building which declared itself a wine distributor, but had only recently been bought and wasn't open for buisness yet.

A cover, I guessed, and as I returned to the inn, I'd memorized my steps. It was almost a straight path from there to the inn, and I found myself sighing under my breath.

"Amateurs..."
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"That ain't gonna work," Weed grumbled as he nursed his wounds. Burns were a common enough occupational hazard among the Gewehr that they had a salve, back at the flat above the liquor store, for what ailed them after the encounter with Marcus -- most of it, anyway. However, the damage to their pride remained. Now they had to hit Jamie.

"Yeah, that ain't gonna work," Fritz agreed, "but what is? Looks like they got every damn mage in Farrel helpin' 'em. Not much we kin do 'gainst that."

"Shaddup, I'm thinkin'," Weed said, turning his ... unique ... intellect to the problem. Slowly, an evil grin spread across his crooked features. "Y'know what, though? All th' magic in th' world don't do no good 'gainst plastique." He figured that if he used the fancy word for "stuff that blows up," the argument would sound more convincing; at least he'd convinced himself.

Fritz wasn't so sure. "Yeah, but we ain't got any of that shit here. Where we gonna get some?"

Weed's grin widened some more. "I know a warehouse in th' market part o' town where I 'spect we can lift some ... and then we're gonna have a party. C'mon." The two men headed into town, passing Rice as she came back from her considerably more benign shopping trip.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Blackmail
Forum Trainee

Post by Blackmail »

((Classes are keeping me way too busy. I apologize.))

Watching Jamie as she went back inside, Zander's vision was immediately drawn to the two men in uniform that she nearly collided with outside the inn. His hand was halfway to his pack before he realized that the two weren't the bumbling thugs in disguise, but actual workers. Maybe he was way too on edge... Or so he thought, until he spotted the actual thugs not three seconds later. They subsequently decided to go hide in some bushes for... some reason. Zander snatched up his pack, fingers absently dancing around one of the knives hidden under his bracer, and skulked off of the beach (which, for the record, were not good for skulking). His plan was to get around behind the two men and off them before they knew what had hit them. Which might have worked, if Marcus hadn't gotten there first and blasted them with magic.

Zander didn't see all of the spell, just caught a glimpse of a few flashes and heard the thugs scream. Then the two men am-scrayed posthaste. Somewhat anti-climactic. After today Zander was ready to kill someone, if not just to prove that he wasn't completely inept. But there goes that. Maybe he was completely inept. Dammit.

He stood there mumbling as Marcus went off to follow the men. Zander didn't even want to bother. Either Marcus would deal with them or the men would be back later and he could deal with them then. He was still waiting there when Marcus returned, and he slipped his knife back under his bracer. "Did you find them?" he asked Marcus.
Signatures are overrated.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

"Well then, see you tomorrow", Kalin, before parting ways with the group, told them, before continuing "oh, one more thing, why did you look so surprised when we talked?". He himself was not sure what was the first thing that he said after coming out of his trance, but he saw they gave him quite the look when he said it. The older woman - Faye - had told him it was something strange about some people trying to fix something. It did not make any sense to me either.

It was going to get dark soon, and between everything that happened I still get the feeling I should do something else today. I am mostly done with any actual maintenance work around - until yesterday, afternoons were mostly free unless the local kids tried to get a handful of grapes. With all happening, it was high time I did something more.

Now I may be no mage, but when I want to be quiet I am, and I was soon close enough to hear voices. Their respective owners seem to be quite agitated, and they carry a bit farther than they'd like. Or know.

"Why the ... did .... her the... at the ...?
"... no choice. If she ... , it is obvious. We .... that 'pen. If she.... keeps
".// So now?... South "
"Now... need to 'urry". "

Well, the arrival of the new group did seem to make thing easier. I am not sure about what they intend to do, but I think both the shack and their own rooms would be interesting to go through.
Last edited by 4uk4ata on September 19th, 2009, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

Marcus nodded. "Yeah, they're holed up in a wine distributor." He gave the name and address to the Eisenfaust. "Better you take them down now, if you can."

He left the young assassin man to his thoughts while he went upstairs, to his and Jamie's room. Entering the room he only had a moment to dodge a heavy looking chair-pillow, which he caught with his face.

"Ow?" The pillow fell from his confused looking face, Jamie standing at him, face red.

"What the hell were you talking to my mom about!?" she screamed. Obviously during my pursuit the ladies had left the beach and Jasmine had decided to chat a little before going back to her room.

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Joe, there are more conspiracies going on in this place than in Patriarch Jeramel's harem," Layla said as the hack rolled back toward the inn. "What's going on here? I'm having a hard time keeping the conspirators straight without a scorecard."

"I don't know all of it either," the Gewehr fix-it man said from the reins. "Let me set the playing field. The Seeadler controls the waterfront and the ship-building district. They will brook no interference in their operation, but otherwise they pretty well leave things alone. There's an actual police force in town, not very effective, I don't know who they're affiliated with. There are at least one or two Eisenfaust operatives, and at least two other guilds are here that I haven't been able to figure out yet. And of course, us."

"Yeah, and that 'us' part is bugging me too," Layla complained. "It looks to me like we have some people out of control here, going off to do jobs on their own. Until we're settled in town, they shouldn't --"

"Pfft. Let them," Faye interrupted. "They're low-lives and disposable. In fact, as long as they're not traced back to a connection with us four, it's not a bad thing if they get hit. Having the other outfits think they've got rid of our presence in town will give us some cover until we're ready to go active. Whether they get hit or not, they're not our problem. We're supposed to give them a wide berth." Joe nodded agreement.

Layla paused for a moment, thinking about how nonchalant her mother was about getting two Gewehr people killed off -- and at the same time, wondering, for the thousandth time since Zachary was born, whether motherhood was making her soft. Well, they were right about one thing: whatever Fritz and Weed were up to, it wasn't their problem. But there was still one question...

"Yeah, I get all that," Layla said. "But how about all the craziness at the vineyard, with the Tsuirakuan magic? I hadn't been expecting that at all."

"Yes, that part is interesting," Joe mused, and the group got quiet again as they headed back for the inn.

---------

Meanwhile, Fritz and Weed were finding it remarkably easy to break into the warehouse where the explosives were stored -- suspiciously easy if they'd stopped to think about it, but of course, they didn't.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(okay, since nobody else is doing much)

Sally had, after taking her leave of Jasmine and Aiyee, shifted to the shadow plane and followed after Marcus, who was following the mooks. Though she lingered, unseen, intangible, as they made their plans. She couldn't hear their words, but the impressions of bloodlust and mass murder and destruction were brighter beacons than the lighthouses around the docks.

Contemplating the 'Runner' Code, she looked for the loop hole that would allow her to interfere.

She couldn't kill them, "The Runner must not stain her hands"
She couldn't directly hinder them. "The Runner's feet must not deceive."
She could however screw up their plans another way.

Replacing certain blocks of plastique with harmless blocks of plastic. "The runner may pilfer at will, fore she is sneaky and awesome."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The hack pulled up in front of the inn. "I'll pick you up tomorrow morning to go back out to the airship," Joe said. "Anything more need doing while you're here?"

Layla thought about it. "I think we're set as regards me getting started at mage school, moving into the vineyard, all that. But I'm still nervous about the deal with the shack and the Tsuirakuan wards. Can you and Oskar set up a stakeout?"

It was Joe's turn to think. "I'm not sure we can put it on round-the-clock. We're still pretty thin on the ground, particularly if those two idiots are off on some damn fool job of their own. We'll do what we can." He pulled away, leaving Layla to explain to a blushing Ace that he was definitely not supposed to use the fold-out bed in her suite.

--------

"So when we gonna do this?" Fritz asked. They'd lifted enough explosives to level the inn (a surprisingly small amount, actually), and he was proud of himself for actually remembering to heist a couple of blasting caps this time. He'd forgotten that once before, with embarrassing results.

Weed applied his formidable intellect to the question. "Soon's it's dark, we'll set 'em up on a timer to go off at midnight. You know how to do that, don't you?"

"Yeah," Fritz replied, although he actually had no idea. For that matter, he wasn't sure they had a timer, either. But one concern at a time...

4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

I hear something about sunset, and it appears that the two are pretty much done with their argument. I go back as quietly as I came, and find Sharo lying in the shade by the shack that I sleep.

"Feel like going for one more round around the place?" I ask him, as I go past him. He doesn't care overmuch for that (his age is showing at times, especially on warm afternoons like that), but after a few seconds stands up and starts walking after me. He reminds me to be careful, and I return his advice. I think I would give the shack that the caretakers asked to keep a wide berth for now.

The weather is mighty fine; not too warm now, with a slight wind to cool off the land. It promises warm days to come, but it has rained soon enough. Luminosita willing, this place will have a good harvest this year. My spirit picks up and I start humming a song, despite Sharo's silent protest. I walk around, seeing if the stakes on which the vines grow, are straight, whether there is any trace of disease or bugs, or if something else needs fixing. This time, however, I do it slower and more carefully. Fortunately, all looks okay for now. At some point, Sharo leaves me to scratch himself in the shade of the old cherry tree.

Soon afterwards, I see Sarya come out of the house with a large bundle and head for the shack. I wonder what her role in the entire affair is, but I have never been one for brooding. "Heeey, miss Sarya! Can I help you?"

She is fairly far, so I am not sure if the quick expression on her face is confusion or something else. Then she replies "Sure, we're carrying our belongings to the shack. There are a few more packages at the doorstep - put them where I put mine!"

At first, I am wary - what if there is something else in these packages? However, I doubt she set the entire thing just for my sake. Besides, I did promise to help run this place... I better be extra careful though.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Still pissed, I found myself laying on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Damn mother for being right about who would be the better room mate to have in a gun fight. Damn Marcus for disparaging my boobs. Damn Sally and Ayiee for giving Marcus four big reasons to disparage my boobs. Damn I'd like to snuggle with Ayiee's boobs right n...

Okay, nuff of the moping.

I sat up and surveyed the situation. Mother had Nera nicely snuggled away in her room for the night, so my hair was safe from distracting grabs and my nose from assaults of dirty diaper smells. Marcus was... who knows where Marcus was. There was one window to the room, which could be shuttered, so they'd have to hit it pretty hard to get anything through it, including bombs, and the door was on the opposite wall.

That made the corner there the best place to stake out the situation. I could make up the bed to look like it had a body... No, two bodies (damnit, mother...) and then, when they burst in and approached the bed, I'd be behind them. It was cake! Only way they could get me would be to bring the whole inn down around their ears, and no decent assassin would want *that* sort of attention. I had nothing to worry about.