Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Sareth wrote:[OOC]Honestly, I'm not certain what to do just at the moment...[/OOC]
Not sure what to do? After I thoughtfully provided those Gewehr disposables on the upper story of the liquor store for you to "interact" with? I'm disappointed. ;)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]OOOOOOOoooooooooooh! A present! All for me? You shouldn't have![/OOC]

"Well, the first order of business, I think, is a drink," I said, bouncing along on my newly repaired pin. It felt good not to have a stick shoved up my armpit, something only vaguely less unpleasant than having one shoved up other bits of me. I swear, having to use something that is ticklish for a reason as an anchor point for much of your body weight sucks.

"I raised an alcoholic," mother muttered behind me. She then sighed. "While some food would be nice, I think that you may want to go easy on the"

"OOH! This place looks good," I stated, doing my best to be the dutiful daughter and live down to my mother's expectations. "The Grog Filled Nipple!"

"Don't even THINK of giving Nera any grog," mother warned.

"Oh mother," I replied, mock offended. "I wouldn't even think of it! She's under age."

Mother sighed again.

A number of heads watched the group walk through the door into the tavern, which was far cleaner and more wholesome than the name implied. Most of the heads then dropped, after realizing that the group looked mostly harmless. Two, however, did not. One continued to evaluate for a moment, then took one last sip of beer before heading out to a as of yet unopened wine store. The other got a slightly surprised look, and then snuck out the back, towards the dockyards.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

Admittedly the place was not as dark and gloomy as I'd come to believe port bars and taverns should be, which is why it didn't surprise me that most of the people inside had the clean look of people who were only vaguely feigning a lack of middle class upbringing. "All the bars in the city and you find us the yuppies'." I laughed and Jamie shot a dark look at me. I only smiled as we found a table, noting the individuals who'd left at our entrance, not at all subtle.

A serving girl (not nearly weathered enough to be called a proper bar wench) came over with menus... WHAT BAR HAD MENUS?! and mentioned a few specialties of the day. Each of us picked our respective poisons and she damn near SKIPPED off to fetch the drinks. I could have sworn Jamie's eyes were flickering toward the frilly skirt, and I couldn't blame her. Still, the table was mostly silent, and that's bloody boring.

"So why DIDN'T you take the healer gal up on her offer to 'revitalize' your mammaries? Would have meant less a load on Aiyee's part."

If Boris wasn't strictly on backpack detail, I'm sure he would have laughed at that.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I glowered. "You're kidding, right?" Do you have any idea what that does? They swell, then shrink, then swell, then shrink again, then... By the time things dry up I'd be as saggy as mom."

*WHAM!*

"Ow..." I rubbed the back of my head. "Besides, that would imply I'm keeping her, instead of dropping her off at the first orph"

*WHAM!*

"OW... WOULD YOU CUT THAT OUT!"
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

A slight humming that had been going on from the shed grew to something that could, technically, be called a song - though, quite frankly, with a voice like that the wannabe-singer should have stuck to humming. The rhythm itself was catchy, and in a few seconds a few words were recognizable. Lum'nosita was clearly involved, several times, as was smiting, the unworthy, the devout, a few saint somebodys... the rest of the words were more or less mumbled.

The melody ceased abruptly, and a curious-looking head peeked from behind the shed. Its most prominent feature was a large dark beard, so thick and lively that it that seemed intent on not only holding its prominent position, but invading the rest of the head and conquering it in the name of its excessive bushiness. The remainder of the thus beleaguered face was tanned and weathered in a way that showed it was no stranger to sun and rain; going up from the beard (and the mouth that was just barely visible there) there one could notice two large green eyes, a set of bushy eyebrows, a forehead that was starting to get its fair share of creases, and a wide hat, the kind that the local peasants employed when expecting to stay in the sun for a while.

I looked sideways at the unexpected guests, made a silent "O", and came out in full view. Down from the magnificent beard I was wearing a simple brown robe similar to those traveling Veracian mendicants tended to wear, only shortened so it ended halfway down from the knee.

"Lum'nosita's blessings be on you both, ma'ams" I said, touching my hat to the visitors. The hand of one of them (make that two) was on something that looked like a weapon - it seemed to relax, but still stayed there. I was curious as to why they were here - they did not look like robbers, and most local criminals I had seen so far were male. They did not much like workers either, unfortunately. This place was all but deserted, it was a little saddening how all the work that must have gone in it was going to waste. "- and you, sir. How may I help you? The Gerdins are not here at the moment, an' they left me here to keep an eye on the place. If you wanted to speak with them, they should be here some time next week."

Sharo, the old mutt that had been keeping me company, came over and growled a little, more due to habit than anything else, but apparently the two women were alarmed by him. Well, he was supposed to be a guard dog, I thought with a smile. Plus, he was a good old-fashioned big country dog, not one of those Tsuirakuan pups that get scared if a mouse looks at them funny. Then again, Tsuiraku has all kind of strange magical things - maybe they have mice that cast spells and curse you? Nah, probably not. "Down, boy. Don't worry, he's not bad at all - he's just shy around strangers." I say, then squat and scratch him behind the ears. "What do you think of the guests, eh? We haven't had many." He seems to like them, but thinks they smell funny. I sniff the air - come to think of it, he seems to be right. It seems they aren't from the town. "They are? Well, we can hope. Any chance you might have something for an old dog, ladies?"

((OOC: I am still a little confused, how many people do I see in the vineyard - Faye, Joe and Layla, or only some of them?))
Last edited by 4uk4ata on August 7th, 2009, 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Meanwhile, a hushed conversation was occurring in a second-story -- secure -- flat.

"It's her, all right," the man said, still smelling of the beer he'd spilled when he saw her. (His interlocutor wrinkled his nose; he certainly didn't disapprove of beer, but it was awfully early in the morning for that, even for someone in their line of work.) "I'd recognize the bitch anywhere. Don't know how she got here, but she did."

"Alone? That would make what we have to do easier," the second man said.

"No such luck," the first man said. "She's traveling with some older woman who must be her mother, or maybe a maid or something. And -- get this -- she's got a kid. Maybe six months old. There's some guy with them too, might be the kid's father. There might be others I didn't see, I dunno."

"Yes, that does complicate things," the second man said, although at least part of it didn't really surprise him. "We have to focus. She is our ... job ... here. The others are not. That means that for now, we watch and wait. But when we get our chance at her alone..."

---------

Remarkably enough, a practically identical conversation, almost word for word verbatim and including the odor of beer spilled unusually early in the morning, was occurring in a very different part of town.

---------

"Want me to go after him?" Joe asked.

Layla and Faye considered. "I don't think so. You're pretty sure he's harmless?"

"Hard to say for sure, but yeah, I think so. He's been around here for a while. I think they use him to tend the grapes."

Layla snorted. "That would explain much. These vines are in crappy shape. It's no wonder that this place isn't producing wine that anybody wants to buy; I wouldn't want it either. When I take it over --" she didn't say "if" -- "I'll whip them into shape."

Joe smiled and started to say something, but a voice from where the odd man was last seen stopped him. Reflexively he waved Layla back, forgetting who was the Wraith here, and also, who had the gun drawn.

In any event, Layla was listening carefully to what was going on, although she was also using the hack for a bit of cover; professionalism and all. I was never really into that Luminosita hooey ... but if I remember my childhood correctly, that voice sure sounds like Veracian Church liturgy. But then a change in the chanting, humming voice made it all moot.

"Lum'nosita's blessings be on you both, ma'ams -- and sir."

[OOC: Layla, Faye and Joe are all there, and 7-month-old Zachary is in a pack on Layla's back, although Kalin might not be able to see him. Things get messy when two or more players are all editing at once! :D As soon as someone else chimes in, we can get the sequencing straight, but one way or the other, welcome to Errant Road...]

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I mulled over the thought. "Good point, you're better off perky."

SMACK!

"Damnit, Jamie, that hur-"

SMACK!

"OW, Jasmine wha-"

"Don't curse in front of the baby." The older woman said as the waitress returned for our orders. It was still fairly early so breakfast was in order.

"I'd like...hmm yeah, two stacks of flapjacks, ten sausages, a plate of biscuits, the fruit salad, four eggs scrambled with spinach, and a jug of orange juice." I politely asked the waitress. She blinked in surprise for a moment.

"Is that for you, yourself, sir?" She asked.

"Aye. I'm feeling a might peckish." My response only inspired her to look to the others for their food orders.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Um ... Luminosita's blessings be on you, too," Layla ventured tentatively, as she tried to figure out what she was dealing with. Every other priest of the Veracian Church that she'd ever met had been well turned out (well, except for that one who'd been sleeping with the banker's wife that she'd been sent to deal with, but that was a special case). What was this astonishing apparition doing here? At that point the dog came up to investigate the visitors to the vineyard, and Layla was distracted for a moment, trying to keep an eye on the dog (and herself between it and Zachary). Fortunately, it seemed friendly enough.

"Any chance you might have something for an old dog, ladies?"

Does he mean the actual four-legged kind, or himself? Layla thought whimsically, then decided there might be an answer that applied to both. "I might." Reaching into the baby carrier, she extracted a teething biscuit, broke it in half, pitched half to the dog. (Zachary's gurgles communicated that he wanted the other half, so she obliged.) "I think we might have some cold cuts back in the carriage, too," she said. "But first, could you tell us more about who you are? We're interested in ... buying this place and could use some good local help if we do."

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"You eat all that you're going to get fat. Then you'll never get la"

*SMACK!*

"Ow... Um... I'll have steak, really really rare, and egg, really, really cooked," I said.

"Would you like any veggies with that?"

"Veggies? Why would I wa"

*WHACK!*

"Yeah, veggies sound really good right now."

"And to drink?"

"Bee"

*WHACK!*

"Orange juice."

"Anything else?"

"Pain killers. Make sure they're Tsuirakuan. That Veracian stuff is for shi"

*WHACK!*

"Crap."

"Sure!" The waitress turned to mother. "And for you?"

"Grapefruit, and ice for my hand?"

"No problem."

The waitress wandered off, and I then turned to the next problem, even though I wasn't sure I could think straight from the poundi

*WHACK!*

"WHAT WAS THAT FOR?"

"I'm not sure, but I'll come up with a reason."

"..."

I then turned to the next problem. "Alright, Lucas promised to go help those trolls. And they seemed like decent people. They never even acted like they wanted to eat me..."

"By any definition of the term."

"... Yes, thank you mother. Anyway, the question is, do we help Lucius help the trolls? Do we ditch him? Or do we convince him to do other things?" And how do we ditch mom?

*WHACK!*

"WAITRESS? THOSE PAIN KILLERS, PLEASE?"

[OOC]I am having way too much fun with this. I'll try to stop. I promise![/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: A little tying up of loose ends while we wait for Kalin to introduce himself fully:]

The three trolls woke, did the sunrise rituals, hunted.

Wherever the Small Ones brought in by the improbable black monolith had gone, they didn't come back before sunset. Grope wondered about that. It seemed unlikely that they'd gotten into trouble that they couldn't handle; there didn't seem to be that much trouble to get into on this side of Growf's Drainpipe. He'd seen no signs whatever of Small Ones, and few of any large carnivores. The place just looked ... empty. So where had the three humans gone?

Well, not our problem, he thought, as the trolls continued east along the cliffs above the Drainpipe, heading for wherever the Island of Thralls was, and trying to keep out of sight of any under-sea-boats that might be passing below.

--------

This guy always gives me the creeps, the techie thought as he entered the presence of the Seeadler boss.

It probably shouldn't; Gryffyd was still human ... more or less. But between what genetics (the webbed hands and feet) and thaumato-surgery (the gills, installed in an exceedingly uncomfortable magical procedure and irreversible) had done, and the fact that his "office" was a huge salt-water pool in which he perpetually floated, the man was just spooky. The techie himself had the webbing between his fingers that was coming to characterize members of the Seeadler family, but nothing like Gryffyd's.

Well, actually you had to admire the guy; he was only moving toward the ideal of being comfortable on both land and sea that the Elders had decreed, and if he'd gone through the surgery so that he could breathe both above and below the surface, it was to get the message across that the bosses would walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Anyway, there was a message to be delivered. "Sir? That crazy chick you asked me to keep tabs on using the thing we got from the Eisenfaust ... she's here in town."

--------

Elke was getting used to the morning sickness by now, and she was in the office a little earlier today, in time for her to get a little work down before her own techie gave her the same message. Good, she thought; we can wash our hands of this one, at least for the time being. However, she was quite surprised by the message she got from her token agent in Rinkaiel an hour later ... and she realized that Jamie wasn't going to be completely out of her hair after all.

--------

As Jamie, Marcus and Lucas were finishing up breakfast, the waitress came over with the tab -- and spoke directly to Jamie. "There's someone over in the shipbuilding district who'd like to have a word with you."