Lorenzel, Part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Lorenzel, Part 2

Post by Graybeard »

"Um... yes, I suppose it would," Sister Rose said, uncertainty in her voice. Cousin? it sounded ... odd. This woman certainly wasn't among Kenny's cousins that she'd met on her trips to Snamish, and the name Drusia -- I'm pretty sure I'd remember that -- hadn't come up in conversations that she could remember. On the other hand, Rose had lost track of many of her numerous Nuria cousins ... but they didn't have any reason to huddle in one valley, out of sight of possibly murderous elves. It was all very strange.

One thing needed to be established right away. Kenny's mother had been fully human, as far as anyone could tell. His elven ancestry came down through his father's line (and oh my, was it ever handsome in old Benedict, Kenny's father). If this woman was related to Kenny through his mother, she'd be as human as Rose herself was. But through his father...

"On which side? The Lucas side, or the Penuriel side?" Rose asked, not sure which answer she was hoping for.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Drusia:

"On which side? The Lucas side, or the Penuriel side?"

"Lucas," I reply.

-- Drusia

OOC: Sorry, couldn't think of anything else to add. ^^;;
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus glanced over at the exchange between Rose and ... Drusia was it...? Honestly, he was trying very hard to focus on Miguel's choice of ring.

The somewhat forced hug with Lillith had been... awkward. To put it mildly. Only a death-glare at the last moment had prevented Harker from lending a hand in a particularly foolish way. No telling how THAT would have agitated things.

...The woman named Drusia was starting to trouble him. Honestly, their conversation was starting to sound more like a negotiation. Did Rose suspect something...?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Lucas."

Well, that didn't leave much room for doubt, Sister Rose thought, as she helped Maduin rise unsteadily to his feet. This tall woman was clearly half elven, and from the looks of her, she'd got a bit more of the elven blood than most of the Lucas family had. That happened, of course. Scholars had puzzled over the genetics of what one might term "elvenness" without ever understanding how it worked. Kenny had had what one might term "classical" half-elven features. His younger sister could pass as human anywhere in the world, at least if you attributed her one streak of pale greenish-blue hair (like Drusia's, Rose realized) to adolescent willfulness (yes, she was really 25, but she looked and acted about 18) and a skillful dye job rather than elven genes. They'd had an aunt -- this woman's mother, possibly? -- who'd looked like a full-blooded elf, to hear the stories, and look at the portrait ...

... And then there were the Errants.

Fortunately, there hadn't been any of those in Snamish for several generations. The possibility that a newborn Snamishite might be somehow -- wrong -- was never far from their minds, however. That had engendered some long, searching conversations with Kenny on the subject of starting a family ...

Rose became aware that she'd been staring off into space for longer than was completely polite. She forced her attention back to Drusia. "Well, as I said, we're going to be passing through Snamish on the way north, a few days from now," she said, as Brother Miguel completed the purchase of that very special ring. "I don't know exactly when; it'll depend on how long our errand to the southwest takes. Is there anyone there that we can give your regards to, let them know how you're doing, things like that?"

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Drusia:

"Well, as I said, we're going to be passing through Snamish on the way north, a few days from now. I don't know exactly when; it'll depend on how long our errand to the southwest takes. Is there anyone there that we can give your regards to, let them know how you're doing, things like that?"

I smile brightly at her. "Oh, thanks, but that isn't necessary. I'm actually heading there myself." I shrug. "Today, actually. Or, I was planning to leave today. See, I don't actually have a house down here," I continue chattily, "I just find somewhere to stay for a few weeks and do my performing, then head back. Or, sometimes I tour around the other towns in the area." All true, apart from the "tour" part. Patroling for Errants is best done quietly.

"Where are you heading that's southwest of here?" I ask, all innocent curiosity. "I travel alot, like I said, so I know this area really well. I might be able to give you directions or suggest a good route you might not know about." Plus, I can follow you and make sure your half-elven companions are as pleasant as they look. Or, even better, you could invite me to join you. That would be incredibly convienent.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I just find somewhere to stay for a few weeks and do my performing, then head back."

That was the phrase that did it.

Oh, god, she really is an elf, Sister Rose breathed. And she's one of the ones that hunts down rogue half elves ... so what now?

One thing sure; two things, actually. No, three. First, Rose couldn't keep this information to herself. Second, there was no way she was going to tell Lillith or Sasha.

And third, she'd die a thousand deaths before she took an elven ranger to see Kenny's relatives, whether she was their "cousin" or not.

But ... on the other hand, what if this Drusia really was the elf who'd quietly thrown a protective blanket over the half elves of Snamish? It all fit together. Rose suddenly realized that she'd have used the "cousin" ruse herself, to try to disguise her interest in Snamish, if she'd thought of it. In which case not only were the Snamishites safe from her, she'd be the best protection they could have. But Lillith and Sasha, on the other (third?) hand...

So how to manage this situation? Rose's head spun for a moment, then she had an idea. A half-elf hunter wasn't going to pull anything in a place as public as this. So best to take advantage of that and try to figure out what was going on here. And as for moving on, she'd made an offer; maybe they should take her up on it. Six humans (and half elves) versus one elf might be an even fight if it came to that. (Then again, it might not.) Or if her interest in Lillith and Sasha started to seem -- inappropriate, maybe they could find a way to ditch her in town. The situation was dangerous any way you looked at it, but if some preparations could be made ...

"Well, if you'd like to join us as we travel on to Gervasiel, you'd be welcome," she said. "It's supposed to be a day's journey from here, but we don't know the way. Having someone who could be a guide would be very nice." And if we have to get "lost" on the way and somehow separate from you, it'll satisfy several goals at once.

Brother Miguel appeared at her elbow, smiling ear to ear and oblivious to both the conversation between Drusia and Rose and the conflict going on inside Rose's head. "Well, have fun. I've got a very good reason to get back to Kiyoka now," he reminded his friends. "We also have a couple of chores to do in town, briefing that possible abbot and telling the people at the base what we saw at Ramanzel. Can we get going? I don't want to miss my transport."

Rose considered, made a decision. "Okay, why don't you all head for the temple," she said. "Argus, let's you and me get back to the inn and pack everything up for the road. We'll meet the rest of you at the temple later and see Miguel off." And by then, maybe Luminosita will grant me some insights into what to do from here ... or not.

[OOC to Viking if you're there: This might be a very good time for Van Ralein to put in another appearance... Never mind, another solution has been found -- although I won't yet say to what problem.]

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Drusia:

She takes too long answering. Does she suspect something? If she's seen another Ranger, then she might - we never did learn how Kenny died. Military secrets. Kenny lived a dangerous life, so its possible his death was unrelated, but.... It's times like that I wish I had some reliable contacts in the military.

"Well, if you'd like to join us as we travel on to Gervasiel, you'd be welcome. It's supposed to be a day's journey from here, but we don't know the way. Having someone who could be a guide would be very nice."

I smile to hide my surprise. Sure, this is exactly what I was angling for. I just didn't expect her to hand it to me on a silver platter. So, do I have her fooled... or am I walking into an ambush?

"Oh, Gervasiel," I say, nodding, "Sure. It's not too far, and I'd enjoy a little company on the road for a change."

"Okay, why don't you all head for the temple. Argus, let's you and me get back to the inn and pack everything up for the road. We'll meet the rest of you at the temple later and see Miguel off."

"Where would you like me to meet you?" I ask innocently. "Or should I just stick with you? I mean, I have all my stuff right here." I nod to my bag.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Where would you like me to meet you? Or should I just stick with you? I mean, I have all my stuff right here."

"Oh, you might as well just hang around here," Sister Rose smiled. "We need to go get our wagon anyway, so we'll bring it back and save you carrying all that. We shouldn't be more than ten minutes or so. Shall we, Argus?" And shall we have a little conversation on the way, too...

Meanwhile, Brother Miguel was also taking his leave of the group, although not yet for good. "Might as well save some time, and yourselves some walking," he explained. "While they're fetching the wagon, I'll head over to the temple and talk to this man who might become our new abbot back in Kiyoka. That's a church function and I don't think I can take you all with me, but just head over there when Rose gets back with the wagon and our bags. They'll be coming back for Drusia anyway, so why don't the rest of you just take it easy here?" He headed out the door and toward the temple, leaving Lillith, Brad and Maduin to get to know their new, or at least soon-to-be, traveling companion a little better.

Humming happily to himself, Miguel practically jogged down the street, breakfast or no breakfast, the engagement ring in his pocket. This newcomer seemed like a nice enough person. He hadn't quite figured out the dynamic between her and Rose yet, but Rose was a good judge of character (that empathy skill wasn't just based in magic), and if she was willing to have this Drusia Valis come along with them, well, why not? A tiny corner of his brain was asking the rest of him whether he was taking a rose-colored-glasses view of the newcomer, because of his own happiness; he told that corner to sit down and shut up. There was plenty of gloom and doom in the world without being suspicious of everyone and everything...

... But then, only a block or so from the temple, he saw something that changed his outlook considerably.

Sitting on a bench outside a general store, and trying (most unsuccessfully) to look inconspicuous despite both her towering height and the glare on her face, was another very tall woman, taller than Drusia, in fact.

And with a start, Miguel realized that he was looking at the barmaid-elf that Lillith had almost offered herself to, back in the bar in Nautkia.

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

After his somewhat embarrassing fainting spell, Maduin had unobtrusively settled himself in a convenient chair to wait. He let the sound of the others' talk drift over him, sort of half-napping, eyelids not quite shut all the way. He was planning to nap for most of the trip to Gervasiel, since that was apparently where they were headed next. He very much doubted they'd ask him to take a turn driving since he had no experience with such things.

He glanced up as Rose left, only dimly catching Miguel's instructions to remain here with Drusia, who would apparently also be accompanying them now. Brad and Lillith both looked as though they weren't planning to go anywhere when he checked on them, at least not immediately anyway.

His gaze lingered on Lillith. He really wanted to take her shopping. The woman had so many possibilities. She was naturally attractive, and with the clothes, and maybe just a little light makeup, she'd really shine. Besides which, it had been at least a month since he'd last been shopping with Fayna. He resolved to make the appropriate overtures just as soon as he'd gotten some decent sleep.

He sat back and let his eyes drift shut.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Brad dusted himself off, wishing he'd brought another change of clothes or two. He'd been less than completely candid with his cousin about the circumstances surrounding the collapse of his marriage. It wasn't so much that Annie had "left" him, as that she'd thrown him out of the house, with nothing more than the shirt on his back, when he discovered her in bed with that other man, the one he could not bring himself to name. He'd been afraid to go back, and he'd been living on the road, out of a duffel bag, ever since.

An idea came to him as he looked at the well-dressed (if groggy) young Tsuirakuan. This was the first city of any size he'd been in since he left Saus; why not make the best of it? "Excuse me, ma'am," he said to the shopkeeper. "Is there somewhere close where I might pick up some clothing while we wait for our friends to come back with the wagon?"

"Why, yes," the older woman smiled. "There's a general store just a few blocks down the street, toward the temple district. I can probably even set you up with a small discount there." She rummaged around for a business card.

--------

Brother Miguel was giving said general store as wide a berth as he could, while still keeping the elf out front under discreet observation. I'm just sure that's the elf woman we saw in Nautkia. Not only is she the same height, build, complexion and all, she has that air of arrogance that she wears like a glove. So what's she doing here? And the only possible answer was: Tracking us. Tracking Lillith and Sasha.

Did the woman recognize him? He didn't think so. He hadn't been in the tavern in Nautkia for very long, and the situation had been chaotic enough, what with Lillith transforming into a walking food fight and Rose pulling the charade of Luminositan hard-core nun, that she shouldn't have been paying much attention to him. At least her body language now was confirming that guess. She'd barely glanced at him, just as she was doing with the other passers-by. That was good ... but it certainly didn't mean that she wouldn't pay more attention when Lillith came through on the wagon. And what followed wouldn't be good.

Better keep an eye on this, Miguel told himself as he entered the temple.

---------

Sister Rose was also thinking about issues with an elf, albeit a quite different one, as she and Argus headed for the inn where they'd been staying. Might as well tell him, she thought; they'd been traveling together for long enough now that he could surely read her, know that something was amiss. Well, might as well tackle it straight on. "Argus," she said softly, "there's something you need to know about this Drusia Valis..."