Farrel Sea

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Farrel Sea

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, so here's prong number one of the post-Rinkaiel fork... /OOC:]

As the ship cleared the harbor of Rinkaiel, a small magic item incorporated into its hull began to beep, inaudibly except to those equipped with a comparable magic item, in which case it could be heard a long way away -- a remarkably long way away, actually.

Needless to say, Gryffyd's office was equipped with such a comparable device, and he understood the message clearly enough. Some other people needed to hear it, too, so he activated the special crystal ball. "They're on the way," he told Peter and Elke; the situation didn't call for a conference of all the participants (particularly that one), but those two would definitely be interested.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Farrel Sea

Post by Sareth »

As the ship hit the open waters outside of the harbor, Jasmine could be heard back towards the stern of the vessel. "Jamie?" she was calling. "Jamie! Where are you? Nera needs to be changed and it's your tu... Oh... There you a... oh dear... Why are you that sha"

"HURKBLAAAARGGGLEEEE..."

"Augh!"

[OOC]Lest anyone think I forgot... Jamie doesn't do boats.[/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

One of the webbed-handed crewmen noticed what Jamie was up to, went below, rummaged in a sea chest, returned with a bottle. "Here. Drink this. It will help with your seasickness," he said, in the same liquid accent that she'd heard elsewhere in the Seeadler's base.

Of course, it also might have certain side effects, but he didn't find it necessary to say that.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I sat near the bow of the ship playing my guitar and humming a bit along.

I could hear Jamie retching over the side of the boat, and laughed a little under my breath, and out of earshot. It wasn't a big boat, but it was still decent size that we weren't crammed together.

I recalled my first sea voyage, traveling from the North... I'd never go back there again, ever. Unless I got slapped with an order to do so, which would suck.

Still on the waves bound for the Island of Thralls...

I wondered how Grope and Scrobian where doing?
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I wonder how the Small Ones are doing?" Scrobian asked his uncle.

"I don't know, but we're going to need their help," Grope answered. "I don't think we can take that place on by ourselves. There's too much magic around. Unfortunately, I don't know that we can count on them for much, even to come back here. I traveled enough with them to know that they're, I guess I would say, easily distracted."

"That they are. Are all Small Ones that way?" Harzh'biah, back to full health, asked. She hadn't interacted much with humans in the past.

"These more than most, I think," Grope replied. "To some extent, it just comes with their short life span. When you only live a tenth as long as we do (unless something bad happens to us), and never get reborn in the memories of the tribe, you have to pack a lot of experience into those few years, I guess. What's with these particular Small Ones, I really don't know. My friend Lucas, with whom I have the Blood Bond, just attracts weirdness."

"I noticed," Scrobian smiled, and the three trolls resumed their watch over the island across the inner lake.

[OOC: Here's a possible place to introduce Tess, by the way. /OOC:]
----------

"I must say, it's going to be nice to have those clowns out of our responsibility," Elke said to the listening Gryffyd and Peter. "We have other things to worry about." Like The Bump. Actually, of course, her pregnancy wasn't nearly far enough along to be showing, even to her. However, she was already starting to take the whole thing very seriously. Luminosita above ... I might even enjoy this.

"So we do," Peter agreed, although his concerns at the moment were very different from Elke's. Things in Rinkaiel weren't going as well as he hoped. At least he'd managed to keep Layla out of the mess; he really quite liked the young woman, and he definitely didn't want to have to ... delete ... her most unfortunate encounter with Lucas, Jamie and Marcus. The expenditure of Weed and Fritz had seen to that, although he'd probably have to send her some more cannon fodder to work with. Well, one crisis at a time. "I'm worried, though, Gryffyd. That bunch of adventurers can be difficult, and in particular, difficult to keep out of trouble. Are you sure your skeleton crew can manage that until it's time to bring them all in?"

"I think so," the Seeadler man gurgled liquidly; his accent was going to take some getting used to. "Two of the people on that crew with them are not exactly what they seem..."

[OOC: And another hook for Tess? Up to you...]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Bluh?" I asked, feeling particularly well spoken, smart, and settled in that moment. I glanced over the railing and back onto the ship. "It will?"

The crewman nodded.

"Gimmie," I said, snatching the bottle away and downing it, washing away the taste of vomit at the same time.

"You could say thank you," mother said crossly. "I guess I'd better go see to Nera then." She turned away and started to walk off.

Chastened, I smiled to the crewman. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet," he replied.

"What? Wh..." And that's when I noticed the itch.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The crewman smiled again. "This won't just cure your seasickness, it will also help you adjust to life on the sea. It'll take some time, though." He held up a webbed hand. "We're going to have at least two days on the water, so we have the time..."

------------

The island must be about five miles long, Grope figured. (Actually, he estimated it in terms of the trolls' own measurement system, but whatever.) He couldn't tell how wide it was; less than that, probably, but it still had some depth rather than just being a strip of land. Anyway, that was enough to harbor a considerable population of both captives and guards. A frontal assault was out of the question.

"I hope the Small Ones get here soon -- I think," he said to his companions. "They might have some ideas. One place where they have an advantage is that they're better at hiding than we are. Their size helps, and they have gadgets that help too." He decided not to make the point that those gadgets were magical; Scrobian and Harzh'biah were uncomfortable enough about human magic already.

Speaking of hiding, he slipped back behind the large fallen tree where they'd taken shelter, atop a cliff across the open water from the island. There was movement over there. A female troll was emerging from the woods in chains. Grope's eyes narrowed as he watched ... A human-like, but maybe not exactly human, form was behind her, and he was removing the troll woman's tunic ... revealing ...

Grope couldn't watch, but he still swore an oath under his breath. By the Five Great Mothers Themselves, I'll skin that man with my own hands for that.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I had decided to check on Jamie, to make sure she was alright. I found her holding an odd bottle, and one of the crewmen smiling at her in a weird way. Jasmine was below-deck or indoors, handling Nera. Lucas was in the Captain's cabin helping plot out the journey. Aiyee was at the very top of the mast, in the crow's nest. Getting sun and playing watch.

Barely anyone around.

"Oi. Webster." I tapped him on the shoulder and he spun a bit to quickly. "What exactly did you give my wife?" I was pretty sure were still using that cover. "Hon, hand me that for a second." I took the bottle before she could answer, something was off.

I took a quick wiff, my expression souring.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Wait what do you mean, adjust to..."

The bottle got yanked out of my hand.

"What do you think you're..."

Marcus' words sunk in.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, WI..."

And I passed out.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Wife, my ass," the crewman growled at Marcus, then his face softened slightly. "Don't worry, she'll be fine. That stuff just takes a little getting used to. We have more if you need it." He walked away without a word.

---------

"'Not exactly what they seem to be'?" Elke echoed.

"You have your secrets. Allow us to keep ours," Gryffyd gurgled. "Suffice it to say that one of our people is an expert herbalist. Among other things, he is adept in the mixing of strong sedatives. Experience has shown that for the novice sea voyager prone to seasickness, such things can make the journey more ... tranquil."

Elke laughed out loud, a rare enough occurrence. "I can see where they might..."