2011-05-11: Vampire Mind Trick

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2011-05-11: Vampire Mind Trick

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Vampire Mind Trick
JirinPanthosa
New Poster

Re: 2011-05-11: Vampire Mind Trick

Post by JirinPanthosa »

Stories where they can live off blood without killing or turning anyone are just as much of a copout. It sort of negates what sucks the most about being a vampire.
SubversiveCynic
The Goddamn Batman

Post by SubversiveCynic »

What about the whole "bloodbank" thing, is that bad too?

I'm just thinking that it sort of cripples the modern concepts of vampires in storytelling if there is no out when it comes to killing people, so I'm curious.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

SubversiveCynic wrote:What about the whole "bloodbank" thing, is that bad too?

I'm just thinking that it sort of cripples the modern concepts of vampires in storytelling if there is no out when it comes to killing people, so I'm curious.
Either vampires are monsters, or vampires are people with a weird disease. In the first case, pretty much any version that lets the vampire get by without being monstrous is a copout.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I know it's a stupid kid's show, but I like how Marceline the vampire in Adventure Time can (in addition to drinking blood) drain the color red out of things. I figure that it's a weird enough nebulous power to give them a pass on it.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Viking-Sensei wrote:I know it's a stupid kid's show, but I like how Marceline the vampire in Adventure Time can (in addition to drinking blood) drain the color red out of things. I figure that it's a weird enough nebulous power to give them a pass on it.
I like how the Count in Sesame Street is realistically obsessive-compulsive about counting things.

"Ah ah ah! I vant to zuck your blood! I vill [knocks over jar of candies] Oh ferdracssake, now look vat you made me do... one, one candy! Ah ah ah! [puts candy back in jar] Two, two cand... oh zhit, and zere he goes... two candies! Ah ah ehhh... [puts candy back in jar] Three... [sniff] I hate zis curse... three candies... [sobbing] ah, ah, ah..."
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

... Okay, that cracked me up...
SubversiveCynic
The Goddamn Batman

Post by SubversiveCynic »

Anthony wrote:
SubversiveCynic wrote:What about the whole "bloodbank" thing, is that bad too?

Either vampires are monsters, or vampires are people with a weird disease. In the first case, pretty much any version that lets the vampire get by without being monstrous is a copout.
Well, modern storytelling does divert from the more classical interpretation of monsters vs humans. And I think that completely excluding almost all of the current offerings of the genre because modern sensibilities create modern tropes and those are "copouts" seems like you'd miss a lot of good stuff. Wow, that sentence got away from me there.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

That's actually one of the reasons I am so fond of the Dresden Files books. They may be set in modern day Chicago, but they're much closer an interpretation of the old fairytales and myths then most of the stuff written.

Also, Murphy is hot.
JirinPanthosa
New Poster

Post by JirinPanthosa »

Heh, in the movie Broken Embraces, a father discusses with his screenwriter son a hypothetical vampire movie called 'Blood bank' where a vampire runs a fake blood donation clinic. They then go into detail about the safe and unsafe ways for a human and vampire to make love.

I guess the 'Blood bank' idea can be pulled off, but I feel if you take away the need for vampires to kill humans, you're removing the tragic element from vampirism, and turning them into basically just a different race no different from elves or dwarves.

I like the idea of luring pedophiles to feed on. Very Dexter.