2014-10-26: Shameful Display

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2014-10-26: Shameful Display

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Shameful Display
smilingface
Forum Regular

Re: 2014-10-26: Shameful Display

Post by smilingface »

Yay MST3K rip-off totem thing is back :lol:

At least Naga doesn't seem to get a beating this time. Or hot sauce tentacle treatment for that matter.
lyze
Errant Scholar

Post by lyze »

Seriously, no worries about her not being a predator. The professional victim gambit is about as predatory as you can get.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

lyze wrote:The professional victim gambit is about as predatory as you can get.
Yeah. A wolf in sheep's clothing, or in Naga's case a snake in a big wool sock. To be fair though, there's a saying about a fool and his money that would apply to anyone buying Naga's books.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

Just checking - am I missing some context here? I mean, I know that the "I said mean things about group X, and a member of group X sent me a death threat! That proves that I was justified in everything I said and that all members of group X are pure evil!" argument is common among self-righteous assholes of all stripes, but is there anything in recent events that prompted this?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Baeraad wrote:Just checking - am I missing some context here? I mean, I know that the "I said mean things about group X, and a member of group X sent me a death threat! That proves that I was justified in everything I said and that all members of group X are pure evil!" argument is common among self-righteous assholes of all stripes, but is there anything in recent events that prompted this?
Closest I can think of is #GamerGate. The short version is that a bunch of gamers, in the name of journalistic ethics, have threatened a couple of developers and a blogger out of their homes and a few other ladies out of the industry. The blogger, Anita Sarkeesian, recently canceled a speaking engagement because of a bomb threat. (The police thought it would be safe with extra security, but she was worried about her audience getting hurt.) I can provide more details if you want.

(Disclaimer: Many Gaters claim it's only a minority among them that engage in overt harassment, including credible threats involving the victims' home addresses, and there's nothing the majority can do to stop them because it's a leaderless, largely anonymous movement. I say this mainly because I don't want to be accused of bias when I'm essentially just relaying facts.)
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

some predators mimic prey, in order to lure their prey to them.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:
Baeraad wrote:Just checking - am I missing some context here? I mean, I know that the "I said mean things about group X, and a member of group X sent me a death threat! That proves that I was justified in everything I said and that all members of group X are pure evil!" argument is common among self-righteous assholes of all stripes, but is there anything in recent events that prompted this?
Closest I can think of is #GamerGate. The short version is that a bunch of gamers, in the name of journalistic ethics, have threatened a couple of developers and a blogger out of their homes and a few other ladies out of the industry. The blogger, Anita Sarkeesian, recently canceled a speaking engagement because of a bomb threat. (The police thought it would be safe with extra security, but she was worried about her audience getting hurt.) I can provide more details if you want.
Anita is a joke
http://youtu.be/WuRSaLZidWI?list=PLQJW3 ... wCiaqjSulc

as for her death threads specifically
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tXyqP ... a8cilis88A
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

Ye gods. I am having trouble deciding what annoys me more - that Sarkeesian person's tone of righteous martyrdom, or that Thunderfoot lout's tone of smirking condescension. I kind of feel like they deserve each other, to tell you the truth... :shock:

As for the actual subject, I think they both have a point and they're both overstating the case. From the video games I've played, they're certainly mostly about dudes hitting other dudes in the face, with a few token chicks allowed in for a few, often kind of stereotypical and limited, roles. And that's a shame, I feel. (the fact that I'm hanging around this particular forum should be a hint that I like seeing plenty of female characters who are diverse, dynamic and interestingly fucked up. ;) ) But to hear feminist crusaders against video games tell it, most games are mainly about gunnin' down hos while you laugh your sleazy dudebro ass off. That... generally is not the case, in my experience. There usually are female characters and they usually do get shown to be, y'know, people - there's just fewer of them, and less focus on them, than the dudes. Which, again, is a shame and I'd love to see it change, but goddamn it, there is a difference between "getting an unfairly small slice of the pie" and "being ground down and used to make the pie," and I never get the impression that these crusading feminists are aware of that.

Sorry, I'm soapboxing. Anyway, thanks for the input, both of you.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Lots of bloggers are jokes. That doesn't mean they should be chased out of their homes with very specific, legitimate, actionable death threats that merit investigation by the FBI. Like the ones Anita received, as a matter of public record.

I'm just trying to relay facts without getting my opinion all over them. That's what Gaters want, right?