2015-01-12: Internal Orchestration

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

2015-01-12: Internal Orchestration

Post by Imp-Chan »

Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
smilingface
Forum Regular

Re: 2015-01-12: Internal Orchestration

Post by smilingface »

And that's why I'm happy not being able to read minds. People constantly tend to drift to strange ideas. How else could you explain wicked sh*t found on the internet (even if you weren't searching for this). Wandering minds may cause inspiration, too. Therefore helping invent fancy new stuff. But the majority is just plain weird. I think being able to read minds (constantly) would be pretty similar to have a long strange dream. Not the nightmare kind nor the Idon'twannawakeupit'ssogood kind. Just a weird one that thinking about the meaning of it might cause headaches (or insanity in worst case scenarios).
So yeah.
Glad not to have to deal with that. :D

Maybe Fran now'll wear an aluminium foil hat. Or at least adds an aluminium layer to the hat she's already constantly wearing.
lyze
Errant Scholar

Post by lyze »

If I could read minds I'd end up being whacked by the mob and buried in an oil drum somewhere outside of Vegas. I'd be quick to abuse any power I suddenly found myself and I've got no shame to admit it.

Cute song, the vampire version.
smilingface
Forum Regular

Post by smilingface »

lyze wrote:If I could read minds I'd end up being whacked by the mob and buried in an oil drum somewhere outside of Vegas. I'd be quick to abuse any power I suddenly found myself and I've got no shame to admit it.

Cute song, the vampire version.
OK, the [activate-by-will mindreading-powers] Version could actually be really nice if you got the discipline and firm personality to actually use it for your personal interests.
…Maybe they've got a barrel for me, too :twisted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
But Nikki on the other hand seems to have an [active-by-default mindreading-powers] Version. So I was referring to this scenario.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

lyze wrote:If I could read minds I'd end up being whacked by the mob and buried in an oil drum somewhere outside of Vegas. I'd be quick to abuse any power I suddenly found myself and I've got no shame to admit it.
If i could read minds i'd probably... use this power for writing fiction and smut, to be honest. Just sit down in the middle of a busy airport and read people who walk by, using the most disgusting and horrifying thoughts as material for my books. I bet they would sell a lot of copies at least. :)

So, Fran thinks about sex all the time and i'm guessing Naga thinks about food? I sure hope the taste doesn't get shared when reading her mind.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Are you guys seeing a different comic than me? I'm just seeing the same one from before where Nikki has just finished having cold, unfulfilling zombie sex with someone who wants to steal her tragic backstory. What's all this about reading minds?

EDIT: It's just the link in the first post in this thread that's wrong. Had to go to the main site manually to see the new comic.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Fixed. I had to generate the thread manually while we were working on the mirror site, and I must have put in the wrong URL.

^-^'
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

Interesting. In an interesting take on the traditional mythology, vampires in the DNPWWO-verse are "soulless" in the sense of being unable to understand music, the language of the soul, and cannot tell good songs from bad ones. However, as masquerading as human is necessary for their survival, they still pretend to have opinions on music (which becomes an ingrained reflex in any vampire who manages to survive for any length of time, meaning they will still do it without thinking even when talking to someone who knows about their undead condition), though of course they must operate on pure guesswork and always run the risk of exposing their literally complete lack of taste.

I mean, that must be it, since there can be no other reason for why Nikkie just dissed Idina Menzel! :P
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

I know you're only joking, but it kinda needs to be said that the song really isn't all that great. Although it is spectacularly catchy and admittedly representative of both the moment and the character, it's not all that interesting or cohesive musically. Like the rest of the film, it seems like that song has been put together from pieces of things that worked elsewhere, and they didn't quite merge and evolve into a solid new thing, even though there were some great individual moments. It's kinda jarring in places where the connections didn't form completely. But I did have a lot of fun writing the parody lyrics, because even though the song is pretty boring in terms of structure, it was a fun challenge to match the music as closely as possible while completely altering the imagery.

Nobody is denying that Idina Menzel did a great job with her performance. Though her vowel production is kinda wonky and she doesn't have as much resonance as I would look for because of where she's generating the sound, those can be considered stylistic decisions and they do work for the piece. Overall her performance was powerful and moving, and that's what counts for a song like this.

Honestly, I'm not actually sure what I'd consider a "good" Disney song... I mostly don't bother to consider the question objectively and just go by the ones I personally enjoy singing, which is pretty much ALL of them (much to Poe's dismay).

^-^'
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Imp-Chan wrote:It's kinda jarring in places where the connections didn't form completely.
I'm glad someone else feels this way! It was precisely at the line "the cold never bothered me anyway" that the movie jumped the shark for me. I had been just sort of waiting for Elsa to become the Snow Queen and the real plot to take off, and the beginning of "Let It Go" sounded liked exactly the kind of "I've been holding it back but now you know what fuck it" buildup I had been hoping would really get the movie going, but then the musical buildup of that song, right where I expected... I dunno, something amazing, I guess... it suddenly stopped what it was doing, threw that line out in a completely different tone, then changed musical direction entirely, though it did later revisit that first direction again but by then the magic was spoiled for me. And sure enough, the movie itself, while I'm not sure I could say changed direction entirely, clearly started not being what I was expecting and hoping right around that song. The rest of it, like the rest of the song, wasn't terrible, but both the song and movie kinda felt like they were going to build up to something amazing and then sort of flopped around a bit before trying to cut back to "something amazing" at the end but by then it's too late.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."