2015-02-21: Data Capturing

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2015-02-21: Data Capturing

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Data Capturing
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Re: 2015-02-21: Data Capturing

Post by Baeraad »

I'm not sure I'm liking this development. If appliances start to be able to understand what we say to them, it'll just make it even more frustrating when they refuse to do what we say. :p

Actually, you know what would be cool? If you programmed them to apologise when people yelled at them. It wouldn't solve any problems, but it might feel better.

"WORK, you piece of crap!"
"I'm trying to! I'm sorry! I suck!"
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Made a mental note to never buy from Samsung after i saw that in the news last week. They must have got this idea from reading 1984 and taking it as an instruction manual rather than a novel. Then again i'm someone who puts black electrical tape over the lens if my monitor has a built in webcam so maybe i'm the one who needs a jacket. :p

A TV that insults the viewer is pretty funny though. Just imagine if it could talk trash when you're losing at a video game. I could just see some teenage boy losing at Call of Duty and then going berserk, and smashing the TV with a chair when it starts saying "Haha, noob! You suck! U mad?!"
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I prefer my social interactions to be with human beings. I could stand for our TV to be a great deal less smart.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Reading between the lines on that Samsung TOS document, I'd be surprised if they kept a database of things you say that don't relate to the operation of the television. It looks like legal ass-covering due to the fact that everything the TV hears ends up being transmitted and parsed simply to determine whether it's relevant, but everything that's not about the TV is probably discarded immediately. I think it's just one of those things that sounds scarier than it really is because a lawyer wrote it.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I honestly don't care about being overheard that much, except in the context of we do business in our home and there are vague confidentiality concerns.

What pisses me off is sneaking in extra ads. The TV is a tool, we bought it for its display, and we don't really use the apps at all. There is zero reason we need the TV itself to be attached to the internet. So when they started piggybacking ads on hulu, which we were watching through the xbox and thus already paying twice for, that was obscene. In what sense did that enhance our service? In what way were we using the device that they felt they had a right to further monetize that use? Did the content originator even see any portion of that advertising money, or was Samsung just being opportunistic (in which case there is a whopping lawsuit waiting to happen)?

Overall, ick. I kinda wish we hadn't bought it, because the whole thing is just invasive and unnecessary.
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.