2017-04-05: #hewillnotdividebyzero

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2017-04-05: #hewillnotdividebyzero

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for #hewillnotdividebyzero
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Re: 2017-04-05: #hewillnotdividebyzero

Post by Baeraad »

In theory, both sides having turned equally deranged would seem to provide twice as many targets for mockery.

In practice, it's hard to mock someone properly when there no longer seems to be any sane people to compare them unfavourably to. :(
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

In the past, people used to beat the shit out of each other in the streets for wearing the wrong gang colors. Now they beat the shit out of each other for having the wrong political opinions.

I'm not even going to pretend I know what's going on in this world anymore. :?
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Not that I support anyone beating the shit out of anyone in the street, but if it's going to be happening anyway, political opinions are an improvement over gang colors. At least it is actually possible to be right or wrong about politics, and the disagreement is over something of substance, and not just picking a team to belong to.

I mean, you know, except for those huge swaths of people for whom it is just that. But at least they're adopting the trappings of something substantive as an excuse for their petty tribalism!

On second thought I'm not sure that that's actually better, and maybe honestly petty tribalism signaled by arbitrary colors was better. At least it was honest in what it was doing.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Petty tribalism does less damage in gangs than in government at least. Gangs are not publicly funded by tax dollars, nor do they get to draft legislation or appoint judges. :p

There was an episode of Babylon 5 that would fit into this subject pretty good. The greens VS purple episode.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

dark_lord_zagato wrote:Petty tribalism does less damage in gangs than in government at least. Gangs are not publicly funded by tax dollars, nor do they get to draft legislation or appoint judges. :p

There was an episode of Babylon 5 that would fit into this subject pretty good. The greens VS purple episode.
From what I recall of B5, the whole joke of that episode was that the alien gang war wasn't divided by any political stance or argument, the aliens' system of government was literally just 'everybody draws random colored arm bands from a box, then split into two teams based on color, fight and the winners get to call the the shots until the next fight happens'.