2020-04-02: Royal Pain

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2020-04-02: Royal Pain

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Royal Pain
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Re: 2020-04-02: Royal Pain

Post by raphfrk »

That doesn't sound like a failed assassination attempt, if the target dies from wounds inflicted by the assassin. It's just non-instant.
Ugwump
Forum Regular

Post by Ugwump »

Can mythical demi-reptiles even contract human diseases? Naga would probably say "No" and start a delivery business with the slogan, "You won't catch it from me!"

And then she'd eat people while no one would miss them for weeks.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

raphfrk wrote:That doesn't sound like a failed assassination attempt, if the target dies from wounds inflicted by the assassin. It's just non-instant.
Gotta be a little careful with this. In at least some cases (James Garfield, maybe William McKinley, undoubtedly others), it was damage inflicted by the doctors "treating" the assassin's damage that killed the victim, not the assassin themselves. Hm -- wonder if Naga can riff on that?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

I actually wrote way more dialog for this one that had to be cut. I mentioned more about the crossbowman that shot Richard, I went into how John getting the throne ultimately was a good thing in the long run as his incompetence lead to the magna carta etc.. I suppose I used "failed assassination attempt" for lack of space and because you can argue whether the kill should go to the dude with the crossbow or just shitty medical care when the person doesn't actually die until weeks later from infection. I've heard all sorts of version of the events. Some that make it sound like it happen in a battle, and some that make it sound like some random french guy with a crossbow came up and took a shot at the king while bitching about his dead family.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Even if the patient dies from infection, personally, I would still credit the assassin with his death. I know this sounds too simplistic but it's better if we don't try to move responsibility from the shooter to outside forces.

People today wouldn't think of a shoulder wound as being fatal, but death by infection was all too common before antibiotics were discovered in the 1920s. Just think, if we let antibiotics become worthless from overuse and drug resistance then shoulder wounds can be fatal once again. Not good.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Actually, a shoulder wound has a greater chance of being fatal than might meet the eye. There's a lot of plumbing in a shoulder that's required to get blood to the arms and hands, which are not quite as bloodthirsty as legs but still require a lot of oxygen to work right, thank you. It has to fit in a fairly restricted volume of space, since most of the room in a shoulder is reserved for stuff like bone, muscle and (argh) rotator cuffs. That's a key reason why shoulder surgery is more of a big deal, surprisingly, than a hip replacement; I am finding this out the hard way as I try to get something done about a combination of osteoarthritis and a rotator cuff that I screwed up literally fifty years ago.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.