2020-10-10: Now Roll a D20 to make a Dismantle Bigotry Check

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2020-10-10: Now Roll a D20 to make a Dismantle Bigotry Check

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Baeraad
Forum Regular

Re: 2020-10-10: Now Roll a D20 to make a Dismantle Bigotry C

Post by Baeraad »

"No, I associate that with things that certain bad people are saying about real life ethnic groups, and I don't like that the game effectively takes place in a world where those bad people are objectively correct."

Seriously, Poe. Get out of your echo chamber and actually talk to a woke liberal from time to time. You won't enjoy it, and they won't win you over, but you might learn a little more about how they think. Then you can make fun of them properly, and not make jokes that rely on a multi-decades-old dead horse meme being some sort of brilliant gotcha question.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Baeraad wrote:"No, I associate that with things that certain bad people are saying about real life ethnic groups, and I don't like that the game effectively takes place in a world where those bad people are objectively correct."
It's not a good idea to draw parallels between DnD and the real world. It didn't work for conservatives and it's not working for liberals. Orcs, trolls, and goblins have no real life equivalent. Not with migrants, not with POCs, not with anybody.

I would object to inserting politics into DnD because sometimes, you know, politics is like a syringe full of air. If you leave it alone it's fine, but if you inject it into something, that thing usually dies.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I'm confused by the antipathy towards this... So far as I'm aware, it's referencing a real guy who really did develop a homebrew system for working around the limitations of the existing D&D race system, and who really does have degrees that relate to the subject.

I'm not sure it's accurate to portray him as smug, but I read his system, and it seemed pretty solid because it separated ethnicity from culture. However, it is a valid question to ask whether the D&D races are INTENDED to model ethnic minorities in a negative light, or whether some people are just determined to see them that way. I'm not sufficiently well-versed in either side of that subject to venture an opinion, but I'll validate asking the question, at least.

Edit: It is also true that I am now eight weeks into a semester where one of the main assignments has been a close reading of HEART OF DARKNESS, so Poe has been hearing me talk about that on and off this whole time. Just last night I turned in an essay about Conrad's racism as an influence on the narrative voice, which Poe read aloud for me to check for errors. My other lit class has been talking a lot about the subject of racism, too... Professors ar Korea University seem to be pretty solid on the BLM movement and are doing their best to get students discussing systemic racism and human rights, and since classes are online Poe sometimes overhears what I have to say, or what the professors say. So that's been background noise for him lately.
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

FWIW I thought this comic was funny and inoffensive, though I guess I can also see Baeraad's point.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Devon
Forum Regular

Post by Devon »

While I think letting people customize their character's racial traits is a good idea, I think the problem lies with the way they present it... trying to advertise a new way to customize your characters in a RPG as some form of social justice or support to diversity or whatever is VERY stupid... you are just telling people that they can play a half-gnome kobold if the want!

Also, please, don't present Natasha/Iggwilv/Tasha as some kind of role model... she is a tyrant who enslaved whole nations... if you want to portray a hero, use her sister Elena the Fair, a Lawful Good Wizard. Elena the Fair is the archetypal little girl who got lost in the woods and worked as servant for a girl for some time, just like the german Gretel or the russian Vasilisa or the italian Prunella...