So... how do we get the word out?

Help us craft our dastardly plans for world domination!
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

So... how do we get the word out?

Post by Imp-Chan »

We've been doing what we can to get the word out about Errant Story, but the truth is we don't have much of a budget for advertising the comics, and we really need to increase the comic's readership if we want to make any kind of reasonable income from the new ads system we're putting in.

What do you recommend we do to help get the word out? What would make it easier for the fans to spread the word, what got you to read the comic originally, what do you want to see us do differently, etc?

Any input is welcome... we can't guarantee to take every suggestion, but we will guarantee to consider them.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: So... how do we get the word out?

Post by BloodHenge »

To tell the truth, I started reading Errant Story because I used to read Exploitation Now, and I started reading Exploitation Now because I was a horny teenager.

About the only way I've ever spread word about webcomics was by talking to freinds. I've started reading several because friends were reading them, and I've gotten several of my friends hooked on a few that I read.

I remember a while ago, someone created some Errant Story fliers and posted them around his high school. I also notice that there are lots of fliers on and around the college campus here, for things ranging from local bands to microbreweries to anime clubs to tutors to small businesses. Furthermore, webcomics seem to be relatively popular among college-age individuals. I don't know if relying on fans to put up fliers is the sort of business model you want, though. I'm just brainstorming here.
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

I just had a thought pop into my head about a way you could promote ES. Why doesn't Poe open a free account on Deviant art? You could post schetches there and watermarked samples and even sell prints.

I mean, I don't know if you've ever considered this before, but I just checked my account there and I use it mainly just to keep tabs on interesting people's art and such and this thought occured to me. I noticed quite a few webcomic artists have their accounts there.
Stick & String
Forum Regular

Post by Stick & String »

I post links at other web comic sites, and other sites that have poeple that would be interested in the comic (EN too, also, see the post I put over in the EN forums about the image display problem). Hopefully if the links get around, more readership comes along. I invite most to come join the forum, so maybe a few get here, to help build it up for you.
Blastm
One Post Wonder

Post by Blastm »

Well, I discovered EN by reading Megatokyo, back when poe did a guest strip over there.
So, maybe you got a few friends in the webcomics scene who would be interested in receiving art when they can't do theirs in time, and host them when you can't do yours? ;)
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Well, I'd absolutely love to have Poe do a guest strip back for Vikingspace, but I honestly believe that you already have my entire readership... all three of them.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Well, I gonna repost the idea here: can you make some sample of sign/advertisment fliers/posters that we could print and made availiable/put on our working place for people to get/see??

That way you can even change them when you want them to bring another message for the comics
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

There is now one whole flier up here: http://www.errantstory.com/crusade.php

I have another couple on the way, but I am tired so it will be tomorrow before they're finished, especially since I'm still deciding on text for the back of the rest of them. Hope this one tides you over. It's a large file at a fairly high print resolution (for something distributed on the web, anyways), so it might be a good idea to take the fliers to a copy shop to get them printed. That way, they can align them and cut them for you, too. They should be printed centered, back to back, and cut into even quarters.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
publius
One Post Wonder

Post by publius »

I should mention the reason I read most of the webcomics that I read is from surfing sites that compile "top" webcomics like http://topwebcomics.com/ and http://www.buzzcomix.net/. If there's one thing I've noticed about the comics at the very top, it's that they post links to such voting sites right on the comics page, and they sort of "stack" the votes by offering incentives for people to vote (i.e. usually drawings or sketches one can only see if they vote for this comic),* and it seems to draw a lot of people to them. Errant Story I only heard about because a friend mentioned it to me in random passing.

*Not that I hold it against them; I do think a lot of the comics in the top ten deserve their place, especially Girl Genius and Phoenix Requiem.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

You gonna hate me (again) but... Most of the image and link of this page:

http://www.errantstory.com/crusade.php

are broken on my computer, only the Flyer1 picture and link are working...

(Gomen! Gomen!...)