Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: A little tying up of loose ends while we wait for Kalin to introduce himself fully. Once again, sorry if this appears twice, the board is doing some very weird stuff right now:]

The three trolls woke, did the sunrise rituals, hunted.

Wherever the Small Ones brought in by the improbable black monolith had gone, they didn't come back before sunset. Grope wondered about that. It seemed unlikely that they'd gotten into trouble that they couldn't handle; there didn't seem to be that much trouble to get into on this side of Growf's Drainpipe. He'd seen no signs whatever of Small Ones, and few of any large carnivores. The place just looked ... empty. So where had the three humans gone?

Well, not our problem, he thought, as the trolls continued east along the cliffs above the Drainpipe, heading for wherever the Island of Thralls was, and trying to keep out of sight of any under-sea-boats that might be passing below.

--------

This guy always gives me the creeps, the techie thought as he entered the presence of the Seeadler boss.

It probably shouldn't; Gryffyd was still human ... more or less. But between what genetics (the webbed hands and feet) and thaumato-surgery (the gills, installed in an exceedingly uncomfortable magical procedure and irreversible) had done, and the fact that his "office" was a huge salt-water pool in which he perpetually floated, the man was just spooky. The techie himself had the webbing between his fingers that was coming to characterize members of the Seeadler family, but nothing like Gryffyd's.

Well, actually you had to admire the guy; he was only moving toward the ideal of being comfortable on both land and sea that the Elders had decreed, and if he'd gone through the surgery so that he could breathe both above and below the surface, it was to get the message across that the bosses would walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Anyway, there was a message to be delivered. "Sir? That crazy chick you asked me to keep tabs on using the thing we got from the Eisenfaust ... she's here in town."

--------

Elke was getting used to the morning sickness by now, and she was in the office a little earlier today, in time for her to get a little work down before her own techie gave her the same message. Good, she thought; we can wash our hands of this one, at least for the time being. However, she was quite surprised by the message she got from her token agent in Rinkaiel an hour later ... and she realized that Jamie wasn't going to be completely out of her hair after all.

--------

As Jamie, Marcus and Lucas were finishing up breakfast, the waitress came over with the tab -- and spoke directly to Jamie. "There's someone over in the shipbuilding district who'd like to have a word with you."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

*achoo!*

"Sorry. I must be coming down with a cold or something," I smiled up at the waitress. "The ship building district? I hadn't thought anyone in town would know me, and I just got here. How could anyone even know I was..."

Elke's happy juice. Damn that woman. I hope someone knocks her up so she can know what it's like to have someone slip alien things into her, making her suddenly at the whims of some other person! And I hope she gets bad morning sickness, too! No... wait... that means she'd have to have sex. Sex is too good for that woman...

"Were you told what it was about, or where to meet her?"
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

I nod with gratitude as Sharo sniffs the biscuit, gives it a lick, then decides that he has certainly eaten stranger smelling things and gobbles it in one go. This one is funny, will she be around - he asks me. I shrug and tell him, jokingly. "I hope so. You think it is ok?". He seems to agree. "Well, ma'am, I'm bit of a traveling mendicant, myself - or at least normally. I came here a few weeks ago; it seemed Lum'nosita's will that I stay for a while, and when He wishes he'll bid me go elsewher. In the meantime, the owners - the Gerdins offered me to keep an eye on the yard for the food, bed, an' a few small coins at the end of it. They left a few days ago, supposedly left two people, local folk, to take care of the house itself. They don't spend much time here, though, but I think I heard'em earlier today. We can try to find'em -if they' re here it's them you want to talk money with." I say with a good-natured drawl, part accent and part sleepiness. I look down at the mutt, saying "You think they were here, Sharo?" and after looking at the dog for a few seconds nod. "Probably not, but you never know. Come with me, we can check if we can find'em."

I wave to the three to come with me, then walk towards the main building. "Vikor! Sarya! Are you here?" No one seems to answer, but the door is not locked. I push it a little and it opens, but there seems to be no trace of anyone inside. That's odd, I think, I didn't think much of those two anyway, but to leave the place empty and not even close the door properly is strange. I look inside curiously, trying to see something more. The house appears recently lived in, but nothing seems too much out of the ordinary. "Perhaps you should come later, ma'am. I can tell them to look for you - can you tell me who you are and where are you staying?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Perhaps you should come later, ma'am. I can tell them to look for you - can you tell me who you are and where are you staying?"

Layla blinked, her attention having been dulled somewhat by the torrent of speech -- and also distracted to the matter of the missing couple. An eyebrow raised in Joe's direction got a subtle head shake; wherever they'd gone, the Gewehr didn't have a hand in it. Well, under the circumstances, it was probably best to play this straight.

"I'm -- Layla, and this is Faye. As for where we're staying, actually, we don't know," she said truthfully. "We're new in town and looking for a place to live. Our -- agent here will know how to get hold of us." She indicated Joe, who gave Kalin the address of Wine World -- the downstairs shop, not the upstairs hideout. "It was nice meeting you, but if you'll excuse us, we have some business to transact back in town. I hope we'll be talking again. Luminosita's -- peace be with you."

As they pulled away in the hack, Layla briefly debated whether to smile coquettishly at the strange little man, or take a more serious, devout expression. In the end, she decided on "cordial," business-like but friendly. She smiled pleasantly and waved to Kalin over the back seat, then as soon as they were out of earshot, got down to business with Joe. "That was certainly an odd encounter."

"It was that,"Joe agreed. "It does explain a few things. We've been trying to make contact with that couple that he mentioned for several days. There's ... more to them than he knows. Don't ask, at least not yet."

"Do you think he himself is okay?" Faye asked.

"I think so. As far as we've been able to tell, he's the first handyman they've been able to keep there for a while. There's been tremendous turnover, which is one of the reasons why the place is in as bad shape as it is."

"Why is that, do you think?" Layla asked.

Joe looked like he wasn't happy with the answer he was about to give. "As far as I can tell, there's no real, serious reason that anyone will give you. But word on the street is the place is ... well ... haunted."

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I had contemplated Jamie's point for a while, keeping silent and eating as politely and properly as I could manage. I still got a thwack for a poorly suppressed belch. At the message from the waitress, my eyes narrowed. I recalled that Jamie had been involved in something, way back when we first met, but it had quieted down or left her be, at least back then.

Nothing ever lasts, even absences and vacations.

I took the folded leather bill jacket to pay for the meal, and found a sum already in place, tip included. There was also a black letter. The waitress wasn't looking to me, and after depositing the letter beside by plate, I snapped the bill jacket closed and handed it back to her, smiling. She assessed I'd actually paid, and went off to deposit it behind the bar.

"I'm almost sure I'm off probation..." I took the letter and turned it over. Red and Green wax made up the seal. Talonfield I could guess, butGalatea? Why was she... ah, right, the reactor. It WOULD fall under the Sublimer jurisdiction. I opened it up and read quickly.
Spoiler: show
Marcus,
You're not dead, so you know your off the hook.

For now.
[color=#FBFFFBF]Right, and your dealing on the channel proved you could operate without excessive force.[/color]
When someone else does it for you.
[color=#FBFFFBF]Shut up. One shot. Wasting words. [/color]
Right. Go.
[color=#FBFFFBF]Your probation is over, your status as Exorciser-Balancer is restored. You are advised to stay near the individual Jamie until further notice. Somethings up.[/color]
And try not to die anymore, lad.
[color=#FBFFFBF]Galatea of the Nine.[/color]
TalonField of the Nine.
"Yep, I'm golden, or silver maybe...." I mulled the thought over and shrugged. Jamie was considering the waitress's response to her inquiry, I leaned over and suggested. "Let's just head over and wait for someone to jump us. Usually a fast way to get in." I got up and walked round Jasmine, who was holding Nera.

"Lucas, you and Jasmine find a nice place to stay, I'll find you later." Unless Jamie had lost her grit, I didn't doubt she'd be stepping out the door before me, leaving the older folks to play babysitter.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Were you told what it was about, or where to meet her?"

"They didn't say a thing about why, miss ... ma'am ... whatever," the waitress said apologetically, trying to figure out the relationships. "They just said to meet at the tallest of the tall ships. I don't know what that means."

---------

"Sorry, I don't believe in ghosts," Layla sniffed as the hack headed back into town.

Joe chuckled dryly. "Hang around a place with elven ruins for a while, and you will. In this case, though, I'm inclined to agree with you. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who call the place 'haunted' were seeing this Kalin himself. He's a little different from the run-of-the-mill Veracian, wouldn't you say?"

A chuckle in reply. "I'll give you that. Actually, I think we can work with the guy. Let's come back out here after the session with the Tsuirakuans." They headed into Tsuiraku-town.

And paused en route at Wine World, where Layla got a surprise. "Oskar? Is that you?"

The large Gewehr man, looking a bit hung over (which was pretty well his natural state), squinted at the group for a minute, then recognition dawned and a remarkable mix of emotions crossed his face. "Oh, hi, Mrs. S. Didn't expect to see you here. Thought you might be ... somebody else. I'm really sorry about your --"

Layla quickly clamped a hand over his mouth. "Don't talk about him, not here. We can talk later. Where are the rest of the guys? I didn't expect you to be minding the store."

Oskar considered. "Well ... Stevo is upstairs sleepin'. He had a late stake-out last night. Fritz and Weed took off lookin' for somebody. They say somebody interestin' has come to town, wouldn't tell me who..."

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Typical," I replied. "Well, if we're going to stick our fat in the fire again, let's at least do it well fed." I dug into my plate with gusto.

----

A short time later, I was walking down the street towards where tall ships could be seen floating down in the harbor. Nera was bobbling in my arms. I had tried to leave her with mother, but mother would have nothing to do with that. She'd muttered something about not giving me the chance to ditch both of them, and thrust Nera into my arms. When Marcus had suggested things might be dangerous, what with us going to meet mysterious strangers, the look mother had given him had left chills down my spine so bad I worried I'd grown ice icicles from my butt. So it was that Nera was along for the ride.

"Hey, look at it this way," I said to Marcus. "Maybe they'll be less likely to start anything if I have a kid along?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Well, not really my problem," Layla said, getting a nod from Faye. Their instructions were to remain as separate from the embryonic Gewehr operation here as they could; plausible deniability and all. In fact, she'd have to think about whether running Wine World itself was going to get uncomfortable. For the moment, there wasn't really much choice, because the women and Zachary were going to need some help getting settled into Rinkaiel. Day-to-day operations, though, would have to be left to Joe, and if the interactions started to call attention to the shop, something might have to be done.

The group took their leave and started into Tsuiraku-town, but they didn't get far before Layla was surprised to see additional familiar faces coming down a side street: that nice young couple who'd helped her out at the pass north of Kugelheim. ("Nice"? Part of their "help" was that they'd shot two men. Well, Layla herself had shot considerably more people than that, and she still considered herself "nice" ... in most settings.) The other man from the pass, with the weird blue woman, was tagging along, a short distance behind them, and an older woman she didn't recognize was with the pair as well ... and apparently giving them a non-stop lecture about something or other. A mother-in-law? Probably; Layla knew that many married couples hadn't done as well with affectionate, supportive in-laws as she and Arty had ... stop thinking about that. What really caught her eye, though, was the baby that the girl was carrying. Amazing. I had no idea... Did they have that kid at the pass? I don't remember it, but of course, with my ankle, I was a little distracted -- that and Clem and his idiot friends.

She considered stopping to chat, but there was work to be done, and the other group seemed to be heading somewhere as well, so she contented herself with a cheery wave and turned into the ethnic enclave. Maybe there'd be an opportunity for some socializing later; badass Wraith or not, Layla enjoyed mommy talk as much as the next young mother. But for now, her focus was on the curiously subdued magical laboratory that lay within Tsuiraku-town, ahead of her on the street.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(ooc: I thought it was just Nera, Marcus, and and Jamie, ah well, I can adapt.)

I shook my head at Jamie's statement. "Are you kidding? Seriously. I mean, some groups have kid-taboos, sure. But that's just not to kill them. Usually they bring 'em up under THEIR wing instead... but whatever." We reached the docks and I looked to Jamie before snatching Nera out of her arms, and depositing her in Jasmine's. "You stay here." At Jasmine's protests, I gave her a look I'd rarely given anyone I really liked. It was cold, and I don't deny I may have Grey'ed my face a bit to give it a worn, aged, look.

She shut up, more insulted than surprised. Jamie headed into the port and I followed. We were quiet till we reached what I ventured was the 'half way' mark out to the tallest of the ships, those furthest out in the port.

"The more hands you have free to shoot the better." After another moment of silence I added. "You need to get her a carrier or some kinda I dunno body sling..." Make it easier in the long run. She opened her mouth, almost certainly to deny any 'long run'.

"Your mom won't let you drop her, and I don't think leaving her up here is a good idea. There are groups that pick up youths from orphanages and raise them into... well... they don't end up in the best lives possible. Obviously, that happens everywhere but I've heard stuff, Jamie... it's not pretty."

We were almost at the end of the longest pier, and I noticed all the boats this far out had similar designs on them, not just the sails and the flags, but in the wood work of the ships. We were in their territory now... whoever THEY were.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

After the visitors have gone, I spend around an hour - maybe more, maybe less - walking around the old vineyard, checking this, trying to fix that, and mostly keeping an eye out in case anyone else comes. I need not have bothered about that last one, really. No one was interested in this place since I came here. Even the Gerdins, come to think of it, even they did not really do that much to keep it running. Luminosita loves hard work, I remember being told, and if so there is little here to please His eyes. That is why this place is such a mess, I guess.

Some time later, my curiosity gets the best of me and I decide to give the house a better look. After the Gerdins left, at least the other two should be here more often, but I do not see them often. I have heard the rumors of a ghost, sure, but they are just superstitions... Right? Plus, everyone knows evil spirits fear the light of Luminosita, so they should be harmless during the day, even if they existed.Somehow, I am anxious, but decide to check it out anyway. "Watch over the place," I tell Sharo quietly, and he agrees. He adds that there aren't even flies at that time of day, and yawns. I remind him to be careful and head for the door.

It might be just that I am used to the sun and heat of the early afternoon, but as I come inside the twilight of the house I feel as if crossing a wall of cold air. The few streams of light coming from between the shutters give some light, but nor nearly enough. I close the door behind me and head towards the room where the caretakers lived, looking for some clue where they might be. The room looks lived in, at first... but as I sniff around the beds I get the feeling people have not been there very long. I wrinkle my nose... feels like several people. Bill and Alla, Vikor and Sarya... feels like more. That is strange. I decide to rummage a little through the room, but there is very little of interest - apart from personal belongings. I check the study next, and soon regret it. I never had much of a head for books, barely learned to read in the monastery... and forgot most of it later. I pick up a ledger on a whim, but it takes me quite some time to start making sense of it. It looks like a book detailing the rates, prices of various foodstuffs and trade routes in this region of Farrel. It makes sense, vineyards are supposed to sell... Then I hear Sharo barking. It's not the kind of bark to a stranger, though, more like someone he knows.I put the ledger down and dart out of the house. Soon after, I see Vikor, the caretaker.

"Hello, Vikor! How're you today?
"Very well, brother Kalin. And you? Anything happening today?"
"Yes, actually, two women came here... said th'were interested in buying the vineyard. Looked out of town. Do you know when Mr. and Mrs. Gerdin will be back?"
"No, maybe next week... Out of town? Where are they staying?" somehow... I was starting to feel he was nervous. Maybe because they hadn't been doing much of a work?
"Some winery in town. Sounds like good luck, doesn't it? It's sad to see this place going to waste."
"Yeah... yeah, it is. I supposed you have been praying for us recently, eh?" He says jovially, tapping me on the back. Somehow, however, he looks afraid - very afraid. I notice Sharo sniffing him from the side, and do likewise. Strange.
"Where is Sarya, by the way? I have not seen her in days. Is she well?"
"Oh, we went to see her sister and her brother-in-law. She, uh, wasn't feeling very well so we had to stay a bit longer, but I decided that I had to come, we were too late already."

He sounded sincere, I thought. He doesn't smell sincere, Sharo told me. He was, as usual, right.
Last edited by 4uk4ata on August 12th, 2009, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.