Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Blackmail
Forum Trainee

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Blackmail »

"By the way, did you realize you're being watched?"

...Aw, shit. Zander blinked in surprise from his hiding spot in an alley nearby, narrowing his eyes at Jamie's mother. Surely she was talking about the Gewehr... right? He wouldn't be surprised at all if she had noticed them. In fact, he would have thought it somewhat strange if she hadn't. They didn't exactly seem the stealthiest of characters. Yet there was also a possibility that she was talking about him. In which case he was seriously beginning to doubt his skills. First a child had snuck up on him, and now he'd possibly been noticed by a mother. This was turning out to be a great day...

Well it was good that he had been planning on showing himself to them anyway. He figured now was as good a time as any. Zander made sure to pull back his hood and cowl, so that he at least attempted not to look so much like an assassin. The knives, he couldn't do much about. He'd just claim he was a collector. He also made sure his hair was covering up his pointy half-elven ears. It usually kept him out of even more trouble than he got himself into on his own.

Emerging from the alley, Zander approached Jasmine with his hands locked idly behind his head. "Were you referring to me, or to the two Gewehr that have been following you around for a half hour?" He probably didn't look the friendliest of people, a scruffy boy with an eyepatch and loads of knives. But he wasn't worried about looking friendly. Just not threatening enough that someone attacked him on sight. So far, so good. He'd gotten out an entire sentence without weapons swinging at his head. Let's go for two. "There's going to be an--Fuck!" A tic slipped out, interrupting Zander mid-sentence and making him feel extremely foolish. He frowned at himself and then spoke to Jasmine again, continuing as if he hadn't just cursed loudly. "There's going to be an attack against Jamie's life tonight."

He glanced over at Jamie and arched an eyebrow. "Yes, you."
Signatures are overrated.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Stepping in for Sareth for a moment here, hope you're feeling better...]

If Zander was expecting Jasmine Porter to be either surprised or dismayed by his proclamation, he must have been disappointed.

"And this differs from the last two weeks when I've been chasing her, how?" she retorted, then rounded on Jamie. "See why I'm here, young lady? You've got so many people gunning for you that I wish your father had let me name you 'Clay'."

Jamie looked puzzled, so Jasmine didn't even wait for her to form the obvious question. "As in 'Pigeon'." She turned back to Zander. "See what an unreasonable child I have here? What's a mother to do? All I want is to get her home, married and pregnant before I'm an old lady. And she insists on running around getting shot at, and worse!"

Jamie finally got a word in edgewise. "Uh, Mom, if this guy is right, shouldn't we ... do something about it?"

"Pffft. Not to worry. Your crazy friends have enough magical firepower to fend off the Veracian army. And if they don't, I'm going to. Now hand over one of your guns."

"MoooommmM..." But Jamie did as she was told.

Jasmine checked the piece, found it good. "Now between the mages, this fine young man, and your loving mother, I think we can keep you safe through the night until I can get you on an airship back to Volkanenborg, don't you? And oh, by the way, you're coming with us, aren't you?" She batted her eyes at Zander, taking the opportunity to size him up; he wasn't wearing a wedding ring, and even if he didn't look quite as formidable as Marcus, at least he probably didn't have a habit of dying all the time. And two potential suitors for her daughter were better than one, weren't they?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Blackmail
Forum Trainee

Post by Blackmail »

"Uhh..." This woman definitely seemed a little too jaded toward impending threats on her daughter's life. How many times did Jamie get attacked, anyway? Well at least she seemed prepared. They probably would have been perfectly fine even if Zander hadn't been there. Speaking of which... "Coming with you?" he echoed, Jasmine's question briefly taking him aback. He'd been sent to Rinkaiel with the objective of protecting Jamie. There were really no specifications regarding that objective. No one described any terms or stated when this particular job was over. Zander was assuming that he wasn't just meant to protect her until she left Rinkaiel. If Jamie was going to Volkanenborg (or wherever) technically he was obliged to go with. After a thoughtful moment he shrugged and nodded at Jasmine.

"Yeah, I'm coming with. My name's Zander. Eisenfaust, and all that." He muttered the last part under his breath, not wanting anyone to overhear. He was slightly unsettled at the way she was sizing him up like meat. He had no idea what she had in mind, but older women weren't really his type. He considered saying that aloud, but thought better of it. For once. "Fuck!" Another tic. He growled and tried to ignore any stares he was getting from other people on the street. The best way he'd found to deal with his tics was to just try and pretend they didn't happen. "Sorry," he mumbled to Jasmine. "It's a... thing I have. Ignore it." Now that he wasn't actively concentrating on holding them in, which was both tiring and consuming, they just came out, kind of like sneezes. If he sensed one earlier he could fend it off, but they tended to get the jump on him.

That aside, he was surprised they had accepted his presence so easily. Eisenfaust protection must have been routine for them. The agent hadn't told him what to expect (he hadn't said much of anything, actually) but he sure hadn't been expecting this. This wasn't like any of the other jobs he'd had for that damn circus. Jasmine had mentioned something about magic, which Zander really knew nothing about. If some of their companions could use magic, this job wouldn't be hard at all. And considering what he'd seen of Jasmine already, he'd hate to see what she was like when she was actually mad. He was somewhat glad it wasn't his job to kill Jamie instead of protecting her. "Yeah, there are two guys here to off her. I was following them following you for a while, but I don't think they're anything to worry about. They seem kind of stupid, actually. They stole some uniforms from the inn you're staying at. They're probably going to try to infiltrate with them. Somehow..."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
Blackmail wrote: He had no idea what she had in mind, but older women weren't really his type. He considered saying that aloud, but thought better of it.
Actually, according to Sareth (who should know), Jasmine (1) isn't that old --37 or 38, having had Jamie at a comparatively young age; (2) has worked hard to take care of herself; and (3) is therefore still something of a hottie. But anyway...]

Jasmine's eyes widened, although it was hard to be sure whether it was because of the unprovoked profanity (not that that was any novelty to her, of course...) or the mention of the Eisenfaust. She glared at her daughter. "Hmph. Lie down with dogs, you get fleas." She left it hanging as to whether Zander qualified as a "flea" in her book, or the two Gewehr thugs, or the Eisenfaust in general, or what. "Let's finish up here and go back to the inn and set up some defenses." Her glare shifted back to Zander. "Well? And what are you going to do about the Seeadler guy that's following us too?"

--------

Faye and Joe (and Zachary) were coming up on where Layla and Kalin stood looking at the oddly withered grapevine, apparently having completed their "negotiations" with Vikor.

"It's all settled," Faye announced. "We take occupancy in two weeks. That works on our schedule, since we have to pack up back at home."

Only with these words did it sink in on Layla what was going on here. "Take occupancy." I'm actually moving here, if not to stay, at least to use as a regular home base for a good long time. It's not like I'm just going away to school.

It occurred to her that this had certain ... implications ... as regards Ace.

She was about to say something about the strange Tsuirakuan death-rock when her mother continued. "We did make one concession. There's some kind of little shed all by itself on the far south end of the property. The owners want to keep the plot of land it sits on. They wouldn't say why, but they say it is unproductive as far as the vineyard goes. We'll fence it off and let them keep it."

Gewehr Wraiths, like everyone in their business, are professional paranoiacs. Layla was all ready to loudly express her suspicion of this "shed" and the arrangement, under the belief that it had something to do with the Tsuirakuan magic; couldn't her mother see that? But as she was starting to speak, she caught a subtle wink from Faye, and the thought passed between them unspoken.

Don't worry, we'll keep a very careful eye on it ... but let's see what this "handyman" Kalin thinks about the proposition.

4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

"You've made your point," she said to Kalin (and Sharo), who'd come up behind her. "Now what?"

I watch with distaste as the kill-charm shrivels the grape, and shiver despite myself. People trying to kill someone with steel or lead are bad enough, but you learn to keep your guard. Such magics are much sneakier.

I come closer to Layla and shrug at her question. I know very little about that woman or her goals, so it's not like I can give her much in way of advice. "Well, you've seen the winery. Now all depends on what you want to do next an' what you need this place for. If all you want's to make wine and get some coins, you shouldn't have too many problems - Lum'nosita knows this place isn't making much of a profit now, maybe you could work out some deal to let the current owners keep whatever they're interested in." Whoever they are, I add to myself. By now I'm feeling paranoid enough to doubt even my direct employers... "If you actually want to have this place all your own... well, I guess you need to give this place a good shakeup, and hope your eyes are as keen as they were back there."

Unfortunately, it probably won't be that easy, and I know it. I sigh and look at the dead plant again. "Unfortunately, whoever has put this here probably won't have the kindness to stop if you just asked nice. Some blood might need to be spilled over this place."

She seems to nod slightly, more to herself than me. By now I don't expect any other reaction, really - Soon afterwards, her mother and associate (she doesn't treat him like a husband - maybe a hired hand of some sort?) come to us and say they have negotiated for the land. A shack on the southern side? I was told that was a small storage for tools and the like, and it usually stayed locked. Which, what with the recent happenings here, is about as suspicious as a thug donating a gold coin. The women look at each other for a moment, then the older one looks at me as if expecting something "Unproductive? The land's somewhat dry an' sandy, but could grow a grape or two. The shed was supposed to be a mostly for tools, spare parts for the presses, and could offer a few more bunks when the place had more workers. It usually stayed locked, though. Why did they say they need it?

(I will be on vacation for a week or so. I think the place has an internet connection and I will try to keep in touch, but I will definitely post less often. Suntanning is serious business ;) )
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I stood aside a bit, watching Jasmine deal with the new guy, ordering a small cooked meat thing on a stick from the vendor. It tasted alright, not processed or anything bad, just ... off. Meh.

"We're kinda working with the Seedler, Jasmine." I said, stepping forward. "They've offered transportation to our objective." Jasmine turned, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was taken aback. My hair now had a few silver streaks in it, from taking in more Grey recently, and my facial hair had grown enough to pass for several weeks. I'd shave once we got back to the inn, but for now. There wasn't much need.

"I just finished an errand so, if you ladies want to go out tonight it's on me... though I still owe you a few dinners, don't I Jamie?" I laughed.

Boris gave a twitch, and a my hand smacked away a small arm trying to pilfer some coinage from my purse. The arm disappeared into the crowd holding nothing at all, but I sighed all the same. "There's always one in every crowd."
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Blackmail
Forum Trainee

Post by Blackmail »

"Seeadler?" Zander's eyebrows rose in surprise. He'd been completely unaware that anyone from the Seeadlers had been trailing them. He glanced over as Marcus spoke up and then nodded in agreement, trying not to let on that he hadn't noticed in the least. "I thought they were on your side," he said. Which wasn't a lie. He refrained from looking wildly all over the place, but every now and then he glanced at the surrounding buildings to try and see if he could spot this supposed Seeadler agent.

This really was not his day at all. He was screwing up all over the place. And he was getting the feeling he might have said something to upset Jasmine. Which he really did not need at this point. This lady seemed a great deal more capable than she should have been. Frankly Zander wasn't even sure the Eisenfaust's protection was necessary with Jasmine around. Between her ridiculous senses and the acrobatic prowess she'd displayed chasing Jamie around, he could only guess what she might have been like in a fight. He could only hope that he hadn't been the "flea" she'd been referring to. Any displeasure toward him would only be more and more trouble than he needed.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Just a few," I replied caustically. Nera burbled at my hip, reaching up and grabbing a hand full of hair. "Ow..." I looked to mother as I worked to get Nera to let go. "So just how many people *are* after me? I was a little too busy running..." I stomped my ankle, making the new addition rattle cheerfully, "to be able to tell."
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I shrugged as I gnawed on the meat stick."I just got here." I tore into the meat, feeling hungry now that I was back in a material form. Tearing every scrap of meat off the stick, I tossed the stick into a garbage bin and bought another two, starting on one while sizing up the young man, the other young man. He was lanky, and dressed in dark clothes, his knives were evident, and he gave off an aura of mystery.

Just what the group needed ANOTHER tall, dark, and wispy dude.

"So we taking him back to the hotel or are we leaving him here on the curb?"
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
4uk4ata wrote:(I will be on vacation for a week or so. I think the place has an internet connection and I will try to keep in touch, but I will definitely post less often. Suntanning is serious business ;) )
Good timing for it; we can move the action back into town while you're gone. Have fun, and to help that along...]

"Some blood might need to be spilled over this place."

Layla and Faye exchanged glances. "It can be done," Layla replied calmly. She collected Zachary from her mother and started back for the hack.

Faye watched her go, a small smile on her face. "My daughter inclines toward theatrics sometimes," she said to no one in particular. It wasn't really true, but a point was being made. Kalin showed no sign of hearing, however.

""Unproductive? The land's somewhat dry an' sandy, but could grow a grape or two. The shed was supposed to be a mostly for tools, spare parts for the presses, and could offer a few more bunks when the place had more workers. It usually stayed locked, though. Why did they say they need it?"

"They didn't," Faye said. "But we're going to find out anyway. Thanks for your help, Kalin. Carry on here. We have to get settled in for the night, but we'll be back in the morning." The group left.