Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Sareth »

"So..." I idly asked.

"Hmm?" Mother arched an eyebrow at me, her face explicitly stating "Whatever you are about to do, don't. I'm only not coming down on you because I don't know what to come down on you for yet."

Naturally, I ignored this.

"Marcus..." I smiled my most winning smile. "See that man over on the pier there?" I casually nodded towards the man that was watching us. "I think he's been staring at my tits."

Mother dropped her face into her hand.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I looked from Jamie, to the man at the pier, to Jasmine, then to Sally, then to Aiyee, then back to Jamie. I was wearing a veritable crap-eating grin. I let out a short bark of laughter, then quick pair, and I was soon laughing like I'd heard the funniest joke in the world, though I wasn't likely to die from the laughing.

"YEH-AAARGH!" I snapped my legs together as Jamie scooped up Nera and headed back toward the inn. "Hey, you asked a stupid question!" I yelled after her, still reeling.

Sally was shaking her head, clucking her tongue at me; despite the smile on her face. "Coulda been a bit more subtle." That earned a nod from Jasmine. Still in pain I failed to hold my tongue in response.

"Like either of you or your twins is an expert in 'subtle'." I grumbled, not nearly quiet enough.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Grumbling I stomped down the hall. My effort to have a little fun at the expense of the Mad Ogler (and Marcus) had distinctly backfired. And in ways that really rather bothered me. Okay, so I wasn't exactly an elvin beauty queen to look at. I *was* quite limber and enthusiastic, and was pretty sure I could out-fu

*THUMP*

"Out of the way," I growled, not in the mood to apologize to either the hotel worker I had walked into, or his friend. Without waiting to hear what they had to say, I stomped my way back down to my room.

"It's not her fault, dear," Jasmine said to Marcus. "She has her father's build." She smiled. "His temper, too."
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I laughed at that. "Then her father must have been quite the 'dance' partner." I shifted my hips and got to my feet. "Still, I should apologize before she gets too angry and makes Nera sad." It wasn't a real concern; Nera laughed, quite literally, whenever danger was around her.

"If that little rascal grows up like she is, we're gonna have a gal that's Jamie squared..." I rubbed the bridge of my nose. "With my...oh right, I don't have a surname. Disowned. Bleh." I looked to Jasmine. "Um, if the whole marriage thing." at a glare from her I paled. "... um... WHEN.... the whole marriage thing goes down... um, I don't actually have a surname, or the right to use it, anyway. So..." I let the topic hang, a bit hesitant to chase after Jamie.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Well, lookie there," Weed sneered to Fritz as the approached the inn. "Lum'nosty does provide, don't he?"

Two men in the inn's liveries were walking out of the building, carrying gardening tools. One was rubbing a shoulder and declaiming loudly about the "damned bitch" that had done something unspecified to make his arm hurt. Keys rattled at the other man's side. Both appeared to be about the same size and build as the Gewehr hoods.

"He do indeed," Fritz sneered back. "Only thing is, which damned bitch? Jamie or the Golden Girl?"

Weed chortled. "Hey, we hit th' wrong one by mistake, we kin say it's a accident ..." They did what Gewehr operatives did best, getting into hiding among the bushes, getting ready to grab the two workers and do a quick (and fatal) identity swap.

However, they didn't do it well.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Graybeard wrote:"Let's get you to a lifemage," she addressed Kalin. "I think there's one in Tsuiraku-town, which is on the way back to where we're going. You're our hired help now, and we can't have you dying on us..."
I stand up, but my knees are somewhat weak. That's strange, meditations do sometimes make my thinking go... sideways, but they never messed with my knees before. I didn't have any strange feeling in them, either - that is, unless you count the pricking feeling one gets when sitting cross-legged too long. Maybe I was just getting sleepy, I had been sitting like that for quite a while. I look at Faye with some confusion, and spend a few seconds to get my thoughts together before opening my mouth. "Lifemage? I've got enough life in me, I do, and I don't intend to be doing any dying. I was meditating when you came, and I was feeling a little drowsy. Don't need magic to shake that, though. " I say, then notice the man with them was not one of those who came before. He exchanges a doubtful look with Layla, and the one her mother gives me is not much better.

"You look a lot paler than you used to," she says, "Don't you feel any different?"

I don't... well, actually, I do feel somewhat light-headed. Also, thinking about it, I did feel somewhat different during the last few minutes. I thought it was just from contemplating. However, I am hardly pale by any standards, and Faye looks sincere enough. Was it something from today? "I guess I'm feeling a little woozy. Shouldn't need a lifemage, though. Anyway, why did you come again so soon - is everything alright?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Anyway, why did you come again so soon - is everything alright?"

So just what did we sign up for here? Layla wondered. He was "meditating," and it makes him decrepit enough that Mom wants to get him medical help? Oh, well... "Oh, no problem," she smiled. "We just wanted to show our business partner what he's investing in." The smile turned to Ace. "You might see him here overnight from time to time when he's in town." Ace blushed easily... "Now could you show us this shack on the far end of the property that's not going to be part of the deal?"

----------

The two workers from the inn weren't being cooperative. They were trimming hedges, taking out dead tree limbs, that sort of thing, but all close to the building. Fritz and Weed may not have been the brightest light globes in the Gewehr closet, but they did have some rudimentary tactical sense; in preparation for their ambush, they'd hidden themselves as far from the building as possible, so as not to attract notice when they ... substituted for the workers. And the workers weren't buying.

"I'm gettin' impatient," Weed grumbled. "I ain't sure this is gonna work."

"Shut up," Fritz explained. "We're gonna want some cover, and we ain't in a hurry." They settled back to wait.

[OOC: Come on, is anybody going to do something about these thugs? Layla and Faye can't stall forever. ;) ]

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I'd noticed a growing killing intent, and at least one premature end, from the beach and started off after hearing Jasmine out about taking on Jamie's surname, putting it to the side as I took a round about way to the source of murderous intent. I wasn't 'armed' in any sense but I was still a mage, and even if I didn't use death magick these guys weren't going anywhere.

"So you're the shits who are were going to waste Jamie's ammo huh?" My mind draws the a heat pulse spell from the back of my mind. Rudimentary flame manipulation, but like all magick it was about imagination. For example throwing these pulses at a persons face was likely to give them a bit of sunburn, on their eyes, throwing it at some concealed handgun or other death-stained item was likely to cause a bit more or less pain to whoever was carrying it at the time, depending on what it was.

I fired of the blasts, blinding them or setting their knives to white-hot, avoiding the possibility of setting off a gun full of bullets.

(ooc: sorry, wasn't sure how to drop the buggers. Basically if they have guns he's not setting them off with his heat blasts.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

"Now could you show us this shack on the far end of the property that's not going to be part of the deal?"

Ah, so that was it, I thought. This woman is not playing by the usual rules... just like everyone else, really. Except for me, that is - and that's just because I don't know what the thrice-damned rules are. Business partner, huh, so that's what they are calling it nowadays. I guess that made the little one her previous busine... no, that won't do, you old goat, that won't do. Seriously, young people nowadays. Why is Luminosita bothering to bless marriages personally if people just aren't going to bother? I sigh quietly. "If you agreed to let them, ma'am, I can only show it to you. Let's take the roundabout way." Truth be told, I would have preferred to just go there and open the door, but it probably wouldn't be good to be seen from the house - just in case anyone was paying attention.

I motion them to follow me and continue in the direction they were going. We continue going a bit further before turning left just before the fence. The dry grasses and shrubs don't put this place in the best possible light, but there are no grape vines here, so the grass was not a problem to anyone. It could be a great opportunity for someone to hide - and probably not just the local kids trying to steal a few grapes. I was trying to be extra careful - this "someone" might get to be real troublesome. The shack was nearly in the corner of the entire vineyard. I was about to say to the others that we were there, when I thought I saw something shimmering near my shoe. I stepped back, hurriedly. Best to be careful.

"Huh, it looks like a wire of some sort. Not something I put there ," I said, looking at my companions " - does it look familiar?" It seems it was.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Huh, it looks like a wire of some sort. Not something I put there."

Layla was glad to hear Kalin starting to function again. His reaction to Ace had been ... disquieting. Then again, he was a Veracian priest or monk or something, and they had their hangups. She might need to clear the air about, one might say, family matters at some point ... but now wasn't the time for that. "Let me see that thing," she said, bending to look at what he'd found.

Magical barriers and wards weren't anything particularly new to the Gewehr; they had to deal with them all the time. Even though they themselves weren't magic users (yet, Layla thought), they could recognize many kinds of wards, even defeat quite a few of them. Layla wasn't sure whether this thing fell in the latter class, but it clearly fell in the former one. "Ward," she said. "Tsuirakuan, I'd guess. If we had a reason to get around the thing, I'd try, but we don't." Again: "yet." Let's see where it goes."

A quick inspection revealed that the half-physical, half-magical wire ran around the perimeter of the land that had been excluded from the "transaction," and that told Layla and Faye all they needed to know. They'd definitely want to come back to this place later, but now wasn't the time. The group walked back to the main house, some serious thinking going on.

----------

Weed screamed. "We're made! The bastard made us!" He and Fritz erupted from their hiding position and streaked off, dropping red-hot knives as they ran; the uniforms (not to mention Weed and Fritz) were going to have some hard-to-explain scorch marks. So, for that matter, was the hedge they dropped their knives in...

... And that caught the attention of the two workers from the inn. "Hey! What are you doing there?" one shouted at Marcus.

The man on the jetty also noticed what was going on, silently clucked disapprovingly to himself. Amateurs. This would make final resolution of this problem more difficult ... but he had to try.