Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by koshkoo »

((OOC: I got the memo... Since I find it hard to keep track of the characters, I'll leave it to your able hands to puppet master them, I am not touching any of them XD))

Rice was delighted Faye was offering her a chance to cater dinner for a group of.... " Ah... How many man Rice feed tomorrow? " she asked. Rice got the information she needed; Time, venue, covers.... and excused herself to serve the others before discussing about what they wanted and the price.

Rice had offered free samples of her cooking, as well as some goat's milk for the baby.

She haven't notice Jamie and Marcus sitting down at the other table, and excused herself to serve food to the two Tsuikaruans, paying more attention to their clothings and other manner, especially their smell. Odd as it is, Smell is one of the attributes Rice would rely upon besides vision, which was why she haven't given much attention to how someone looks besides obvious skin tone, hair colour and clothings. She was better in remembering smell and taste than faces. Everyone looked almost the same to her... foreign.

"Oh, sorry you wait, what Rice get two you?" Once again her Veracian language was pretty hopeless, Though her pronounciation if it were some Tsuikaruan words had a slightly off tone to it but she seemed to be struggling less with that.
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Somewhere on the outskirts of town was a quiet old vineyard, where no one heard a thing or gave a rat's dropping about all that was happening in the inn... yet.

Actually, that's not quite true. A sparrow nesting near the place where two Gewehr wannabe-thugs were mercilessly killed was scared to the limit of its little heart and, Luminosita's hand guiding it, flew to the house in the vineyard, where due to its bad, bad luck it came to the attention of Mr. Shizzles, the caretakers' cat. After a minute or so of skulking and a second of pouncing, said sparrow lay dead in Shizzles' paws, and soon afterwards in his digestive tract. Now, Mr. Shizzles certainly did appreciate the meal - though, technically, Mr. Shizzles didn't give a rat's dropping about what happened in the inn, either.

A short distance away, Kalin was completely unaware of the sad fate of the little sparrow, instead being quite occupied with carrying a heavy-ish package to the shack at the border of the vineyard. The bundle was actually not that hard to carry, despite its large size. He wondered what it contained... and recognized a very, very faint smell coming from inside. He wondered what it was... it reminded him a little of the smell near a latrine, or the pungent aroma Sharo left around the place every noow and then. Fertilizer, he thought. Strange, he did not notice a lot of fertilizer being used while he was here, and those were quite a few packages. Maybe something else that smelled like a fertilizer?

Leaving the last package, he noted that Sarya was nowhere in sight and snuck a quick peek in the shack. There were a lot more packages there, some like those he carried, some smaller, all neatly assembled into rows and on shelves. This looked more like a storage, with one door leading to another room - a sleeping room, he supposed. The floor was covered with an old, ragged rug, and in the edges where it could not reach he noticed that the floor was made of unworked stone.

He turned away, closing the door just a few moments before Sarya came into view. "Well, miss, that's the last of them. Anything else?"

"Not right now, Kalin, thank you very much."

"My pleasure. So how's everything goin' on with the sale and all?" I said, trying to sound nonchalant. My nose told me there was something wrong, and I leaned in to sniff her hair. "Did you get something on you, Sarya?"

"What?" She sounded a little surprised. "Oh, no... maybe some of that stuff we were moving in. Anyway, didn't the new people tell you? They'll be getting most of the vineyard, the Gerdins will sign the official papers when they come back. We'll be keeping this shack with some of the materials they didn't want, like old tools or the fertilizer we were moving. Anyway, Vikor and I will be moving here tonight, we have to vacate the house by morning."

"Need some help with that?" I suggested. I wanted to keep an eye on the house, as much as anything else, but it wouldn't do to be pushy.

"Oh, no, it will be ok. If I need some help I will let you know, though. We may need to do some more paperwork for tomorrow. By the way, we may be moving things late tonight, so keep Sharo on his chain. Darned old dog nearly knocked the wind from me last week."" She said cheerfully, before turning away and leaving for the house.

"Don't worry, miss, he'll behave", Hmm, as if. Sharo knows them well enough, and won't jump either of them even if he got kicked first. Now, unknown people, he doesn't like them much. Maybe they expect visitors... and speaking of which, I hear a low, familiar growl. I move between the rows, and find Sharo by a hole in the fence. "Ok, mister, who're you and whaddaya want?" I say quietly to no one in particular.
Last edited by 4uk4ata on September 28th, 2009, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Faye caught the message, all right. She rose without a word, took Zachary back toward the inn, intercepting a worried Layla on the way. "Change of plans," she said. "We're looking for new lodging, right now. I'll explain later -- and then we have a job to set up." Layla groaned...

--------

The Seeadler man who'd been watching the whole exchange also left the scene without a word, reported to Gryffyd. After he left, the highly modified man filed a report of his own, one that pleased Elke and certain other people no end, although Peter didn't like it much.

--------

One of the watching Tsuirakuan expats also rose silently; there was a woman in Tsuiraku-town who needed to hear about all this.

--------

And on the other side of the inn, two cops were punching their cookies as they found the bodies.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Oh, I'll have the... that..." I pointed at something that I think was a bird, but I wasn't certain. "With some of that," I pointed at some sort of grain that I think was rice, but it looked much thicker, and had some sort of seasoning on it. "And covered in that?" I pointed to a pot of some sort of sauce." Then I turned back to chat, only to see the people I was about to chat with get up and leave. Their food wasn't even half way done. Turning to Marcus I arched an eyebrow. "Is the food that bad?"
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I laughed, shaking my head. "Your mom's right. You do miss things a lot more than you'd care to admit." Her glare was right on target though. "Distant associates of the late and not-so-great dumbasses. The older lady anyway. Baby is the Sheriff's boy. Name's Zackery. Sheriff girl is Layla, if you care to remember. She's staying, or was staying, if my message got across, at our inn. Still..."

I couldn't help but feel a presence, some force pushing me on. "Don't you think that little boy and Nera would look cute playing together?" I did my best to impersonate Jasmine's 'Maternal' smile the best I could.

Jamie's face convulsed before breaking into laughter at my attempt.

I sighed and took another bite of duck.

At least she's laughing.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"But, Mom --" Layla began, but Faye cut her off.

"No arguments, dear. This is serious trouble. We're sleeping on the airship tonight. Leave your stuff; we can come back for it in the morning."

Layla did as she was told, pausing only to collect baby supplies (and, of course, Ace). Joe had long since returned to the flat at the liquor store, but it didn't take long to arrange another hack. The group rode in tight-lipped silence until they got to the airship tower.

"Okay, Mom, what's the deal?" Layla asked as soon as they were alone again.

"I can't tell you everything," Faye said, "but the operation here is blown already. I'm going to have to arrange a hit on the bastard that blew it. He's a powerful mage, and we want to be away from him while we set it up."

Layla didn't like the sound of that. "So we're just running and hiding from him?" Not to mention sleeping in considerably less ... cozy ... conditions than she'd been hoping for...

"No, not 'just' hiding from him," Faye corrected. "There's one thing that this ship has that the inn doesn't, and that's a crystal ball. I'm going to need it to put in a call to Peter to start setting something up."

However, it would be fair to say that Peter's reaction to this late call was considerably different than what Faye had been hoping for...

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Where did everybody go? To get things moving again:]

Layla and Ace were both grumpy over the missed opportunity for a good dinner (and ... other things), and even Zachary was uncharacteristically fussy as his mother set to work at the airship's tiny galley. Faye didn't really care, or at least didn't let on if she did; a thing needed doing. The airship's communications system was quite basic, but it sufficed to get through to Peter.

"We've had a problem here," Faye said as soon as the man at the other end answered. She went on to describe the encounter with Marcus, the way he'd nonchalantly wiped out the two Gewehr operatives, the veiled threats he'd made at Rice's food stand. "I think we're going to have to take this guy out. He's putting the whole operation here at risk. He knows where the base is, probably knows who I am at least, and working on figuring things out with Layla. He's also a powerful enough mage that I don't think we can hit him by ourselves. We're going to need --"

"Wait a minute," Peter cut her off. "You are not, repeat, NOT, to hit that guy. Just avoid him like he says. No hit, no action at all. Got it? If I'd known about this earlier, I'd have had you take out Fritz and Weed yourselves, just to make sure the damn fools didn't get lucky."

Faye was shocked to the point where it took a moment for her to frame a reply. "Peter, I don't think you understand. If we let this guy live, he may single-handedly destroy our whole operation here." Including my daughter. "He's got to go. I --"

"Faye, you're not listening. I repeat: the Gewehr is NOT to hit that guy. There is more to this than you need to know. Got it?"

Almost beside herself, Faye made one more try. "Peter, I --" But she subsided immediately as Peter used a tone of voice she'd only heard a few times before -- all of them terrifying.

"Faye, what part of 'no' do you not understand?"

That got through. "As you say, sir." She didn't call her superior "sir" very often, but this seemed like a time for it.

Peter wasn't finished. "One other thing. You are to make absolutely damn sure that your daughter stays as far away from him as possible. Got it? Don't ask why, that's another of those things you don't need to know. But it's for her own good." His voice softened slightly. "And don't worry about it. I have it on good authority that this problem will be resolving itself before long. Don't ask about that, either. Clear?"

"Yes, sir..." And Faye put the ball away after Peter unceremoniously broke the connection, completely confused as to what was going on here ... but convinced that it wouldn't be a good idea to try to find out.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(ooc: I think we aren't sure how to spin the ball as it is. Kooshoo could prolly react to the people leaving suddenly, Me and Sareth's characters need some foodin's OR we can fast forward to the next day.... that might be best)
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: A fast-forward to morning would be OK, although the two Rinkaiel city cops have been provided as an alternative source of amusement before everyone turns in. Either way works.

Am I correct that Marcus, Jamie, Jasmine and Lucas (who hasn't been heard from in quite a while) are still planning on taking the Seeadler boat down to do something with (to) the birdkeepers? If so, there needs to be a fork, so that Layla and entourage, Kalin, and Rice can continue to do stuff in Rinkaiel. Blackmail, what are your preferences for Zander? He could go either way as I see it. You have until morning to decide. ;)

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]Jamie should be headed out on the boat to deal with the Seeadler thing.[/OOC]