Rinkaiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel

Post by Graybeard »

Layla was about to answer noncommittally when her thoughts were interrupted by a high-pitched yowl.

As Sharo was making himself comfortable for his nap, he'd apparently got too close to a feral barn cat for his comfort -- the cat's comfort, that is. It had been crashed out itself under the vine that Sharo had chosen, but the proximity of a large dog got it awake and riled up quickly. A yowl, a hiss, a swipe at the dog's nose (which sufficed to get the dog too into an excited state), and suddenly it was a black and gray streak sprinting across the ground ...

... Toward the shack.

Layla's Wraith reflexes had her ready to move to intercept the beast, but in a split second, she thought better of it. Let's see what happens here. The cat was well ahead of the pursuing Sharo as it passed by Kalin and Layla ... and crossed the magical perimeter.

There was a blinding flash of light, curiously silent and lasting only a moment. When Layla's dazzled eyes cleared, there was no sign of the cat -- no fur flying, no odor of charred flesh, nothing. Within an instant of crossing the boundary, it had simply disappeared into thin air.

"Well, I'm glad we didn't try that," Layla observed, as Sharo skidded to a halt by his master.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Kalin turned around, startled at the literal cat-and-dog chase that was taking place behing him. Sharo was getting slower, but while he didn't have the cat's acceleration he could still be deceptively fast. The wild cat might get more than a bloody ear when that was over, he thought...

He stepped to the side as the two animals rushed by them, and literally gasped when he saw what happened when the cat ran through the field around the shack. He would have almost welcomed something, no matter how gory, that showed what exactly happened to it. There wasn't even a sound.

He looked at Sharo, angry at the offending cat and extremely confused. Where did that ..... go, Kalin could hear him ask over and over again. Yet Sharo also showed an unmistakeable fear of the place where the cat disappeared."No, it didn't disappear. Just don't know what happened, " Kalin said quietly, as if to the dog, before raising his head to look at Layla. "Doesn't look like we can pass safely here either. What do you think? We could try tinkering with it a little more, or call the people from the shed and see what they do. "
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
AdamZero wrote: (ooc: Maybe we'll NPC Lucas a while? Till Viking Sensei has time... so... when his kid turns five...)
Please do. Things regarding the boat are kinda stagnating at the moment, and there's an adventure to be had once Jamie, Marcus, Lucas, Ayiee, and maybe others board. /OOC:]

"Doesn't look like we can pass safely here either. What do you think? We could try tinkering with it a little more, or call the people from the shed and see what they do. "

"Let's give this place a wide berth for now," Layla answered. "We need to go back into town to see whether Oskar made it back to -- his apartment. We'll be in touch." She, Kalin and Sharo retraced their steps back to the main house, where Layla joined Faye and Joe in the hack, heading for the liquor store.

Meanwhile, unseen by human eyes (at least the eyes of the humans who'd been watching previously), the barrier at the shack flared again, and the cat reappeared on the outside, running even harder for the fields than it had been when it hit the barrier to begin with ... and knowing something that Layla and Kalin didn't know.

AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(Roger that:)

Lucas and Aiyee had already boarded, a fact made apparent by Lucas appearing at the top of the boarding ramp in full sea-faring regalia. Aiyee herself was wearing an eyepatch, and not much else.

"Get a move on folks we want to make the tide and get away already!" He seemed enthused, somehow, to leave the continent. I wasn't too saddened by it either, to tell the truth. The crew seemed to have been informed of our destination, but it wasn't showing any sag to their spirits. The Seeadler seemed to been giving us a skeleton crew drawn from a deck of wild cards... I felt a grin spreading on my face.

(ooc: O-kay. This could be the split off point for the sea crew, unless anyone else wants aboard I have a little parting speech I want Marcus to give before we exit the thread.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]Sounds good to me.[/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, here's a proposal, then. Let Marcus give his speech, then after a bit of eye-in-the-sky stuff pertaining to the BBEG (the reason for this will become obvious shortly), we'll lock this thread (it's at about what we've established as the maximum thread length anyway) and start two new ones: "Rinkaiel, Part 2" for those staying in town, and another one for the seafarers. Anybody got a suggested title for that one? As far as I know, the sea to the east of Farrel has never been named in Errant Story itself. Grope (who, be it noted, has his own reasons for wanting the Seeadler boat to show up) has called it "Jobar's Sea," but that's obviously a troll name and it wouldn't make much sense for a human party to use it. Would "Farrel, east coast" be too bland to use? I guess that's what I'd favor, since we don't know what all adventures people will create on the way.

Also, who's going and who's staying? I assume that the Porters, Marcus and Lucas are going with their various encumbrances, and Layla's group and Kalin are staying, although Layla will have to make a quick trip home to get things packed up. How about Rice? Zander, are you still out there? What are your respective preferences? And anybody else (Itterind?) want to join the fun in Rinkaiel at this point?

4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Kalin picked a small clump of earth, throwing it against the wall before leaving. It disappeared with the now-familiar flash, and he turned and left. He sighed. Apparently this was a fence of sorts, and he hadn't really pegged the two caretakers as the sort to use magic so... off-handedly. Shows what I know of people, he thought with a smirk. Which reminded him... he knew even less about his current supposed employer.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

(ooc: well I've given enough time... it's not much of a speech more as a quote...)

I smiled as the crew seemed to give the all green for a cast off.

"All aboard the boat to Madness" The gals started up the ramp "Stops at Mayhem," Jasmine rollled her eyes. "Hijinks." Jamie flashed a grin. "Horseplay." Boris cackled under my cloak. "And Destruction." Nera gurgled happily. "LET'S GO!" I called running up the gangplank as the crew finished their prep and set out to sea.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, on to the Farrel Sea, one of the two forks. "Rinkaiel, Part 2" coming later tonight, if I can stay awake long enough. Anyway, this thread is hereby closed, although I'll leave it here for a while.