2007-11-02: FwF: "I really hope this is just mucus."

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2007-11-02: FwF: "I really hope this is just mucus."

Post by BloodHenge »

As easy as it apparently is to mess with Locke and Ellis, I'd probably do it too in Rape-kun's place.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: 2007-11-02: FwF: "I really hope this is just mucus."

Post by Viking-Sensei »

What can I say? I couldn't resist the urge to go all "Find the hidden _______" on this one.

Also, in a similar "word from the author" thing like you get from Poe from time to time (to correct the Wiki)...

Poe and I talked this out after some questions raised by Locke when he called Ellis his 'littermate' in the last installment (which he reinforces today by calling him 'Big Bro'). Most familiars, or at least the Ellis/Lock talking cat variety, are hand-grown as opposed to being 'au natural'... but they are grown/created in batches to cut costs (mixing a batch of dough and baking 12 rolls at a time vs mixing and making each one by hand) and these batches often share a common genetic baseline and simulate the litter envorinment.

Therefore, Locke is at least conceptually correct in viewing Ellis as his littermate, as he and Ellis briefly spent their youths together and share much of the same genetic ancestory even though they didn't have the traditional mother/father setup. Locke is perhaps a bit more sentimental than the normal Flying Cat model, as he continues to place importance in these pseudo-natal bonds he formed in his pseudo-youth, but then again there really is no such thing as a "normal" baseline for the flying cats.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Viking-Sensei wrote:What can I say? I couldn't resist the urge to go all "Find the hidden _______" on this one.

Also, in a similar "word from the author" thing like you get from Poe from time to time (to correct the Wiki)...

Poe and I talked this out after some questions raised by Locke when he called Ellis his 'littermate' in the last installment (which he reinforces today by calling him 'Big Bro'). Most familiars, or at least the Ellis/Lock talking cat variety, are hand-grown as opposed to being 'au natural'... but they are grown/created in batches to cut costs (mixing a batch of dough and baking 12 rolls at a time vs mixing and making each one by hand) and these batches often share a common genetic baseline and simulate the litter envorinment.

Therefore, Locke is at least conceptually correct in viewing Ellis as his littermate, as he and Ellis briefly spent their youths together and share much of the same genetic ancestory even though they didn't have the traditional mother/father setup. Locke is perhaps a bit more sentimental than the normal Flying Cat model, as he continues to place importance in these pseudo-natal bonds he formed in his pseudo-youth, but then again there really is no such thing as a "normal" baseline for the flying cats.
I'm not sure I understand this, but I'll try to amend the article to reflect it, or at least reference it. I had also missed the tufts of white around Locke's ears. Any other peculiarities of coloring, etc., that should be pointed out?

Jim, you really should have the ability to get into the Heretic Knowledge Vault yourself. Unfortunately, the spambot attacks continue -- an average of about 20 spam edits a day are attempted but blocked -- so re-opening user creation on a continuing basis doesn't look likely until new MediaWiki software is installed. Possibly you might be able to discuss with the tech guy (have a wiki techie talkie, so to speak) the possibility of taking off the protection for just long enough for you to create a username. If the break in the protection is brief enough, SL and I should be able to fend off any spambots that trickle through. It's no longer hard to detect them, now that we know how they attack.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Graybeard wrote:
Viking-Sensei wrote:What can I say? I couldn't resist the urge to go all "Find the hidden _______" on this one.

I'm not sure I understand this, but I'll try to amend the article to reflect it, or at least reference it. I had also missed the tufts of white around Locke's ears. Any other peculiarities of coloring, etc., that should be pointed out?

Jim, you really should have the ability to get into the Heretic Knowledge Vault yourself. Unfortunately, the spambot attacks continue -- an average of about 20 spam edits a day are attempted but blocked -- so re-opening user creation on a continuing basis doesn't look likely until new MediaWiki software is installed. Possibly you might be able to discuss with the tech guy (have a wiki techie talkie, so to speak) the possibility of taking off the protection for just long enough for you to create a username. If the break in the protection is brief enough, SL and I should be able to fend off any spambots that trickle through. It's no longer hard to detect them, now that we know how they attack.

Actually, either of us having bureaucrat would work, as that class can create users, spontaneously. BTW, I've recently been on Wikipedia and took a look at their banned list. I found the same six-character user names. I have no idea how long they've been there.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Graybeard wrote:I'm not sure I understand this, but I'll try to amend the article to reflect it, or at least reference it. I had also missed the tufts of white around Locke's ears. Any other peculiarities of coloring, etc., that should be pointed out?

He's got white front feet too... you can sort of see them in the fifth panel. Don't feel bad... the tufts of white weren't actually in the first drawings of him... I added them when I realized that he and Ellis looked too similar to tell apart when shown from just the neck up... it's his permanent design now, so there shouldn't be any further design modifications.
Graybeard wrote:Jim, you really should have the ability to get into the Heretic Knowledge Vault yourself. Unfortunately, the spambot attacks continue -- an average of about 20 spam edits a day are attempted but blocked -- so re-opening user creation on a continuing basis doesn't look likely until new MediaWiki software is installed. Possibly you might be able to discuss with the tech guy (have a wiki techie talkie, so to speak) the possibility of taking off the protection for just long enough for you to create a username. If the break in the protection is brief enough, SL and I should be able to fend off any spambots that trickle through. It's no longer hard to detect them, now that we know how they attack.
I don't know... perhaps it's good that I don't have access to that Wiki. When I first met Poe (through Impy), I flat-out refused to read EN or ES until I got to know him, so that I'd be his friend first before I was 'a fan'. It was only after he and I had hung out considerably and were what I considered to be real friends that I even sat down and read the comic. (It did make going to the cons with them a little interesting, as I had to use all of my blufftastic powers to get through a couple of interesting conversations).

Even now, since I am a reader, I have to make sure I don't 'bug' Poe too much when we hang out. The temptation to ask him about what's going to happen next, what ________ meant, where this element or that fact connects to the bigger picture... it's rough. Poe's gotta have a life-outside-comic too, and I'm already blurring those lines by being the Admin and doing the filler (even though it's great to be able to collaborate with him). So, I'm happy to be a font of all Fun With Familiars and other "Errant Story Plus" materials that I do have knowledge about (like those I create), but beyond that I probably would do my best to keep my mouth shut.

Now, as to my affiliation with the EN Wiki... mwahahahaha. That's all I'm allowed to say.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Viking-Sensei wrote: I don't know... perhaps it's good that I don't have access to that Wiki. When I first met Poe (through Impy), I flat-out refused to read EN or ES until I got to know him, so that I'd be his friend first before I was 'a fan'. It was only after he and I had hung out considerably and were what I considered to be real friends that I even sat down and read the comic. (It did make going to the cons with them a little interesting, as I had to use all of my blufftastic powers to get through a couple of interesting conversations).
I don't see a problem there; after all, Impy is a Heretical Monk, and even edits articles occasionally. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you have to. Heck, Poe is a Heretical Monk.

Back on the drawing, is nine tentacles the standard number for a micro-tentacle monster? Looks like it from these shots, but some of the drawings of Rape-kun in the main strip suggest that he might have more, although they're never all seen at once.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Well, the plushy prototype I made has nine... it was supposed to be ten, but I lost one.

I imagine, though I've had no confirmation of it whatsoever, that micro-tentacle monsters grow more tentacles as they age, especially when they flip to Adult Mode.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

How many tentacles does a tentacle monster have?

Precisely as many as the situation calls for.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

BloodHenge wrote:How many tentacles does a tentacle monster have?

Precisely as many as the situation calls for.
Joking aside, this is probably the correct answer. Since we don't know much about Rape-Kun's biology, all we can do is guess. For writing the FwF version of Rape-Kun, my mode-of-thinking is that he's sort of a big friendly amoeba-ish creature, with the ability to morph his exoskin into whatever configuration appeals to him most or suits his situiation. By shifting the density of the specialized cells in his exoskin, he can make his tentacles as long and hard or soft and short as need-be, or even reabsorb them into his body completely if the situation really demanded. The primary cluster of the specialized 'tentacle cells' is on what we perceive to be his lower half (probably around some sort of rudimentary mouth), which is why he snaps back to the vaugely-octopus-ish shape as his default.

Of course, none of this is official... and most of it is assuming he even HAS biology... I don't even want to know what God would do to the catgirls for attempting to drag real biology into a fantasy story, but I bet it would be messy.

Also, about the Wiki... I'm not opposing you getting me access, just stating my reasons for not pushing the issue anymore. I'll be happy to join you Monks, however if you're going to go creating accounts you might want to see who else wants in before you embark on that quest, so as not to leave anyone out.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

On on topic only related date-wise, fabulous new wallpaper up in the donation slot. That is the prettiest, sweetest, most delightfully carefree portrait of a terrifyingly lethal thousand year-old warrior-mage in full plate armor I've ever seen. Right up there with Hector of Troy doffing his helmet because he was frightening his infant son.