2010-03-15: What's the Verdict?

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2010-03-15: What's the Verdict?

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for What's the Verdict?
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Re: 2010-03-15: What's the Verdict?

Post by DatDude »

. . .and 8 years on grampa gets some screen time. I guess we will learn a few things about him now.

I bet a shinny penny on him mentioning at some point he wasn't going to cut her out of the will if she failed just to give Meji a I've done this for WHAT moment.
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

It's almost like he actually cares!

Also our first shot of modern Tsuiraku from outside, I think. Once again raising the question of "where did they get food from before they bought farmland off Farrell?"
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

They can grow fruit trees from seeds in minutes using magic, which is described as not terribly difficult. So it isn't like they need a lot of arable land. You just pump some magic into your bonsai collection and collect a day's worth of food. I hate to imagine what they do for meat, though. It's probably not worse than what Ellis goes through, but it's not likely to be more appetizing either. And the...recycling issue...ugh. Yeah, it all goes 'round in nature too, but you don't have to think about it as much that way.

I think that Meji definitely gets a smaller, less liquid portion of the inheritance for her demonstrated lack of maturity and good sense. She'd probably regard a minimal stipend with a lot of rules attached as being "cut out of the will" and "out on the street", though perhaps her experiences have broadened her perceptions of the world.

I think that the guard is a bad idea. Unless they can plausibly disguise it as a team of personable and sincere medical personnel. Of course, I don't see any tiny demi-gods around, so maybe significant events which demonstrate total Tsuirakuan magical superiority have occurred.
Kill...more...elves.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

mindstalk wrote:It's almost like he actually cares!
He has always cared; why do you think he went to such lengths to make sure Meji didn't turn our as her mom?
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
mindstalk wrote:It's almost like he actually cares!
He has always cared; why do you think he went to such lengths to make sure Meji didn't turn our as her mom?
Exactly. He's a crummy grandfather, but not because he didn't care what happened to her.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Unless it's his fault that Meji's mother grew up without a feminine role model, I'm not really going to call him a crummy grandfather. He's supposed to be crusty and old and unhip and so on.

And depending on how exactly he might have disposed of Meji's grandmother, there are more important issues than how crummy a grandfather he is.
Kill...more...elves.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

ChunLing wrote:They can grow fruit trees from seeds in minutes using magic, which is described as not terribly difficult
Where's that?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

mindstalk wrote:
ChunLing wrote:They can grow fruit trees from seeds in minutes using magic, which is described as not terribly difficult
Where's that?
Here, although it's a tomato plant, not a fruit tree. (Hey, tomatoes are technically fruit.)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

Why does he seem so earnest about seeing her awake?
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.