Stone Man Pass

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: Stone Man Pass

Post by Drannin »

Argus glanced at Rose with a raised eyebrow. "Where did that come from?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Where did that come from?"

"Oh, just a childhood memory," Sister Rose said, as she tried to suppress another giggle, and failed utterly. She turned back to the road, hoping the subject would pass, but between the fact that Brad was now giggling too (and blushing), and the expressions on the other faces in the wagon, she knew she wasn't going to get away from this one so easily. So ... she tried to swallow the second giggle and get on with the story.

"There was this family down the street from us when I was a kid," she said. "Brad's family knew them too, they were just about half way between our houses. They were all incredibly devout Millenarians, and they had two sons, one my age and one Brad's, little short, squat boys with a big mop of black hair." It feels important to say that; they weren't like what we saw in Provatiel. "I'd forgotten all about the 'Bedrock of Luminosita's Church' until Brad brought it up, but they were always calling themselves that, and Brad's right, they called themselves 'Rocks for Luminosita' individually too. They were just overbearing about it, obnoxious. They had a number of other eccentricities too, with some very odd beliefs about the elves, just off the wall all around, impossible to have a normal conversation with..."

Rose's green eyes looked back across the years, and met Brad's as he took over. "So one day -- we were so bad, Rose! -- we decided that we were going to give them another name the next time they pulled that 'Luminosita's Rocks' business on us. I'll never forget the way Noah..." Suddenly he was giggling so hard that he couldn't continue.

Rose took up the story again. "Noah was the one my age, and I remember the look too when we called them ..." She caught Brad's eye, and they delivered the punch line in synchrony...

"Luminosita's Nuts."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus winced. "Ouch! That one hurts!" By the end of it, however, he was chortling, which led into full-blown laughter. Harker echoed him. "I can only imagine their expressions..." he cackled.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

I listen to the others laugh, smiling pleasantly to hide confusion. I don't think I got the joke, somehow - what's so funny about Luminosa's balls? They're... big? They're made of stone? They smell vaguly like legumes?

Maybe it's a human thing? After all, I've spent WAY too much time in a city that prominantly displays my goddess's gigantic cunt. And, thinking about it, I've never seen Luminosa naked, not in any of his statuary or other artworks. Which just goes to show - humans are fucking prudes. Oh well.

Speaking of confusion, what the hell was up with that weird - I hesitate to call him a poet as I've achieved greater oratory artistry while getting gang-banged - creepy old guy? And, did I understand correctly that he plans to sing to rocks? Or possibly deific testicles, if I am following the Luminosa spiritual interpretation correctly? Whatever. It worries me more that we appear to be going in the same direction as that loonie.

I wonder if I'll get a chance to use Felicitous tonight. I'd like to try it out for myself this time, make sure I have it down right. It would have been nice to give it a run back at that cool portable pavilion thing; I'm still annoyed that the rain stopped and we couldn't spend the night there. And then we wouldn't have had to deal with crazy mc-rhymey-pants either.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Just a few words for Lillith here in Sareth's absence...]

Uncharacteristically, Sister Rose was so caught up in savoring the memory of the word play involving the Patoriel brothers that she failed to notice something important in the wagon.

Lillith noticed, however. She'd had a good, if quiet, laugh at the pun, just like most of the others (don't elves have a sense of humor? she wondered), compounded by the fact that it was at the expense of the false god. Well, Rose and Brad seemed able to laugh at themselves and their religion. That was good; there might be hope for them yet (with all that implied, although she didn't think too hard about that). She turned to pat Brad on the arm...

... And that was when she noticed that Kim wasn't laughing. Quite the contrary. What had put the deer-in-the-headlights expression back on her face?

Lillith shifted her attention away from Brad for the moment. "It's okay, you're still among friends, laughter is good for the soul," she told Kim gently.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker stirred slightly and looked at Kim thoughtfully. "You know, I could make her a carving. It might perk her up..."

"HARKER!" Argus yelled, outraged.

"Not one of the fun ones!" Harker squawked indignantly. "It'd be, you know..."

"Tasteful? Normal?"

"Yeah. Boring. But whatever, people seem to like those ones." This said, Harker put away his current project and pulled out a new piece of wood. Argus just groaned and gave Rose a long-suffering look.

"Whatever he's making, I'm reviewing it first, whatever the cost to my sanity."
Last edited by Drannin on March 25th, 2010, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"That's probably a good idea," Sister Rose answered Argus, but her attention was elsewhere: Lillith's calming touch was working on the strange semi-wild girl. She'd looked about ready to jump out of the wagon, if not her skin altogether. Under Lillith's ministrations, she was calming down by the second.

How does Lillith do it? Rose wondered. I doubt if she even knows. It's just ... a gift. Like my ability to control my appearance. And she probably never knew she had it until we hit the road. There's a lesson in there somewhere, I think...

The "Poet Laureate" was receding in the distance, and the sun was starting to drop toward the mountain ridge; time was moving on. "Let's get moving," she suggested. "Our camp site tonight will be more comfortable if we can stay in the bigger trees and not get up toward the fairy forest, if the mountains are that high, but it would still be nice to get at least part way up the pass before we stop for the night."

Now why did I use that phrase? she asked herself, as Argus got the horses plodding forward.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"You know, I could make her a carving. It might perk her up..."
"HARKER!" Argus yelled, outraged.
"Not one of the fun ones!" Harker squawked indignantly. "It's be, you know..."

Argus' familiar has been warry of me since, well a while now. Rather disapointing, really, since he seems rather more fun than, well, just about anyone else here. No time like the present to build some raport.

"Harker," I say leaning down towards him. I make sure the view down my shirt is quite nice for him. "I didn't know you did those sorts of carvings." I smile at him with genuine interest.

"You know," I add, "I collect aides de amour. When you're finished with this, ah, 'tasteful' carving for Kim, I'd be honored if you wanted to carve a fun one for me." I favor him one of my more sultry bedroom glances. "I promise I'll put it to good use."

Specifically, in a place of note on my shelf of purely decorative pieces at home in Snamish. Adventurous as I am, there are places a young woman simply does not want to get splinters. But I'll keep that to myself, lest I destroy his fantasy. I wouldn't want to be cruel.

-- Drusia

OOC: Where I used french, just assume that she uses a similarly polite euphamism. I considered having her use elven, but several distinct reasons why that would be a bad idea occured to me. Hence the note for clarification. ^^
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Everybody OK with going on to the camp site? If not, feel free to back-fill here, but to move it along...]

Sister Rose didn't overhear the conversation between Harker and Drusia, but between the elf's posture and the familiar's leer, she didn't really need to. "Ah, thanks for the time at the reins, Argus," she said. "I'm ready to take over again." That way, I won't see what Harker's about to do ... and Argus will. Both of those are probably good things.

An hour or two later and several hundred feet higher, Rose reined the horses to a stop. "This is probably about as far as we should go," she announced. "It looks like the road is starting to get steeper and more exposed, and we're running out of light. Since we can't make it to Gervasiel tonight anyway, I'm voting we don't push it. Besides, this looks like a good camp site."

They'd stopped in a clearing in the forest that showed abundant signs of use as a camp site previously -- possibly very recently. There was ample room for the wagon and horses as well as Maduin's amazing tent, with space left over. There was a large fire ring in the middle that contained ashes of fires past. Rose noted with interest that at one edge of the ring, there was a small heap of charred wood that still had a tiny wisp of smoke rising from it. It looked like some solitary traveler might have sought shelter here during the storm, and quite sensibly, used the existing ring for his own small fire. Wonder who that was? she thought. I don't think our wandering bard made it this far in time to make and burn out a fire -- speaking of whom, where is he? But we haven't seen anyone else on the road coming or going.

Well, no matter; whoever they were, they've come and gone ... I think.
"Over to you, Maduin, let us know if you need help with the tent. Why don't the rest of us gather up some firewood? May as well make this as comfortable a place to spend the night as possible."

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Oh, it's from the Just-Add-Water Catalogue," Maduin said with a wave as he extracted the parcel once more from the pile of his belongings.
"Very easy to set up."

He selected a spot with plenty of room for the tent to expand, and with a gesture, a small stream of water fell out of the air, soaking the oblong parcel. A moment later it began to swell, popping and squeaking, until the big bright green pavilion stood once more in the late afternoon light, dim green security luminator washed out by the sinking sun.

He paid no mind to the small remnants of the fire that Rose had noted, much more occupied with extracting his sleeping attire (he didn't mind sharing one of his sets of pajamas with Kim now that she wasn't covered in filth, since she obviously had none of her own) and he was thinking that tonight would be a nice opportunity to get out the curlers and see if he couldn't put a little bounce in Kim's hair, and maybe Lillith's too while he was at it. Kim's long blonde hair would look good with some artfully arranged ringlets.

Maduin hummed cheerfully as he put together a night bag, and his eye caught on a copper butterfly hair clasp in one of his bags, sections of the wings verdigrised in sweeping patterns, and with a smile, he added it to the rest, already imagining Kim's newly curled hair gathered into a graceful blonde waterfall down her back.