Stone Man Pass

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: Stone Man Pass

Post by Drannin »

Argus was checking the horses when something tapped his leg. He looked down to see Harker, who had an expression of strained patience. The little familiar held up a hand grandly, containing a small wooden carving. "Is THIS to your liking, oh revered one?" Harker asked irritably. Argus just just stared is disbelief.

It was adorable. The carving was one of a cat in a sitting position, with what looked for all the world like a delighted smile on its face. The carving was so well done, that it almost looked like a real cat with brown fur. Except for the size and wood grains, of course. "Harker... that's great. How did you..." Argus trailed off. He had always known that his familiar had talent, but most of the time it was wasted on absolutely perverted things. For Harker to actually make something... nice... was a bit of a shock. "It's very nice work."

Harker puffed up at the compliment. "Hey, it's me! And Boss? I do have standards." A pause. "Well, some." He turned to leave, when Argus stopped him.

"What was Drusia saying to you earlier?"

Harker was silent for a moment, not looking at Argus. "She wants a toy. And I know where she can put it." The tone was unreadable. Argus just stared in bafflement at his familiar as Harker wandered over to Kim, who was standing around looking at the forest nervously as though something might charge from it at any second.

"Oy."

Kim nearly jumped out of her skin at Harker's sudden greeting, and looked down at him wide-eyed. "Y-yes?" she squeaked.

"Here." Harker handed her the cat carving and wandered off without a word. Kim stared at him in confusion for a moment before turned her attention to her present. Argus just shook his head in disbelief. Harker never ceased to surprise him. He hoped Kim enjoyed her little cat.

He also hoped Harker showed some restraint with whatever he was making for Drusia. Come to think of it, he might want to give her a heads-up...
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

As the rest were working to set up camp, Lillith decided to follow Sister Rose' advice. She wandered into the woods to find kindling and smaller downed branches that could be useful for a small fire. The immediate environs had been picked over by earlier travelers, which was to be expected, and so Lillith wandered deeper into the woods.

As she got far enough from the camp that she could no longer understand voices, though she could still hear them, she began finding the sorts of dry wood that would suit for a fire. She began picking them up, collecting them in the crook of one arm, until she had about as much as she felt she could comfortably cart back, when something caused her to pause. Slowly, she rose from a slight crouch, and turned to look over her shoulder.

She froze, staring at an enormous pair of eyes contemplating her.

[OOC]Are the eyes friendly? Hostile? Animal? I don't know...[/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"That was truly, really nice of you," Sister Rose said to Harker, words she never thought she'd use with the familiar. Kim was staring at the carving with wide eyes, stroking its "fur" as though it was a real cat. Her expression wasn't exactly one of love or gratitude or appreciation ... just pure, childlike amazement.

--------

Meanwhile, Brad of course had gone off to "help" Lillith with her wood gathering (and, of course, to profess his undying love). He was about two thirds of the way to where she stood, rooted to the ground, when he saw the glowing eyes too ...

"LILLITH! RUN THIS WAY! I'LL PROTECT YOU!" he screamed, sprinted back to the wagon, retrieved the Lancea, and sprinted back to where his beloved was threatened by who-knows-what. Of course, he hadn't had the situational awareness to actually make the Durus Flamma blade work ...

... But it probably wouldn't have done much against a giant stone statue with jeweled eyes anyway.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

When Brad arrived, Lillith was seated on the forest floor before the statue, her body clearly posed for meditating. She'd positioned herself before the statue, eyes closed, chin down, and quietly she could be heard to be singing softly.

"Lillith! I... Um..." Brad staggered in his speech, thought, and run.

The priestess girl paused, looked up at Brad with a kind but serious face, and lifted a finger to her lips. "Shh."

"S...sorry..." Brad blushed.

Lillith smiled. Quietly she whispered, "Bring the others," and then went back to her close eyed singing.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose had to admit: she really wanted to pet the little wooden cat herself. However, it wouldn't do to interrupt the girl. This may be the first time she's had someone spontaneously do something nice for her in years, she thought, forgetting her own gift of the pants and blouse. (Of course, Rose would forget something like that.)

In any event, here came Brad, running full tilt, a succession of emotions marching across his open face. "Come quickly!" he almost-yelled. "Lillith ... I ... Lillith ... I think she's found the Stone Man."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus whipped around at this. "Are they dangerous?" he demanded. Protective instincts, unbidden, surged in him.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I don't think so," Brad sputtered. "It looks like she's ... praying to it."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus blinked. Twice. "Huh?"

Praying to it?! "Wait... what is it exactly? Some sort of creature? A statue?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Wait... what is it exactly? Some sort of creature? A statue?"

"I think it's a statue," Brad said breathlessly. "Nine feet tall, with eyes like gems that glow in torch light. She wants us to come see it, but she wouldn't say why. She was just singing and meditating and ... I'm not sure what."

Very strange ... and a little disturbing, Sister Rose thought. She was never quite sure what to make of Lillith's religion, whatever it was, but this didn't sound like something that fit into it. How would this kind of behavior, worshiping (from the sound of it) a stone artifact, fit with a religion that stressed the natural, the "spirits" of the land? We'd better go check this out. "Lead the way," she told her cousin ...

... Not noticing that Kim was hanging back.

[OOC: Over to you, Lillith...]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

When the group arrived (short one new member, it seemed) Lillith was still sitting, singing quietly before the statue. As they stepped up, she smiled and turned her head to face them.

"So now we know about the stone men." She gestured gently to the statue. "This mountain must have been sacred to someone, once. The land feels..." She smiled. "The spirits of the land remember a time when this was a place of worship." Her face grew a bit wistful. "And mourning. Long before ... Luminosita... this was where they brought their dead. To be cared for." Her hand softly reached out and touched the stone. "They're here... under the ground."