Tsuiraku-town

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Re: Tsuiraku-town

Post by Kincaide »

Ritter chuckled, there might have been bite in the man's response but Ritter had not been bothered, "Cap!" Tristam called out and waved the man over.

When Ritter made it over to the other and helped the kid down from the dinghy, Rhett grumbled, "Unless we plan to interrogate the ducks, trees and dog-walkers, we ain't gonna find anything," they would need a larger team to sweep the park. There would be no easy way to ask questions unless they knew exactly who to ask. If they talked to the wrong person then the right people would be spooked and run off.

"Alright then boy, you're in charge of this run, what's the next move?" Ritter asked, prompting the younger man.

"As much as it pains me to say it, the Temple of the Divine Dwarf,"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"As much as it pains me to say it, the Temple of the Divine Dwarf,"

The boy's eyes got big. Without another word, he turned tail and ran.

[OOC: I'm going to be sporadic for the next week. More on the Temple of the Divine Dwarf itself tonight.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Post by Kincaide »

"Never a good sign," Rhett said, watching the kid flee, "I suddenly have a feeling we're on the right path,"

"Yeah, come on boy," Ritter gave Rhett a hand up into the dinghy and it took off, soaring over the tree tops. After a few minutes Rhett called over the wind, "Down there! Take us down and tie up in front of that bar," the dinghy descended and Rhett and Ritter got out.

"You two watch the boat, I've got the flare gun if something goes wrong," Tristam and Whitley nodded and stayed put. With that Rhett and the Captain set off down the street, heading for the Temple of the Divine Dwarf. They rounded a corner and got their first good look at it.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Kalin had been queasy for a while, and at some point he approached Jamie, motioning her to follow "Miss, I think we may need to talk."

Having her attention, he continued. "I think it's only right t'tell you, your mother seems t'have a, errr, wandering eye, and it seems to be wandering in m'direction a bit too much. Now, she is still a very attractive lady, def'nitly the kind a wanderer like myself wouldn't mind stowing' is anchor to if you'dn't mind,, but sometimes her attention's a little, err... too much. I think I will busy myself elsewhere, if you don't mind. Truth b'told, I have some fancies towarrds... no, no, this really won't do. Well, best o'luck t' you, and Luminosita guide your path," he said, then continued. "I will go on something like a pigrimage, or whatever it's called, I need t' clear m'mind fer' while. I hope t'see you too one day, an'really get a better pair o' pants." Something in the beard twitched in the general semblance of a smile, and Kalin was gone. She just heard a "oh,tell'em I'll be back soon. Probably, 't least."

The next thing she heard was Kalin's voice talking to someone, who just "ruff"'d in response.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: We'll miss you, Kalin/4uk4ata, and hurry back when you can...]

The Temple of the Divine Dwarf wasn't hard to find. Most of the buildings in Tsuiraku-town had the same architectural style that one might have found in Tsuirakushiti: walls and windows made in swooping arcs and curves, hardly a right angle in sight (unless carefully concealed, of course), the whole thing packaged in miniature and festooned with Tsuirakuan light globes. Very few indeed had a sharply pointed thirty-foot steeple rising above the building's roof, with smiling dwarven faces carved into the facade, and were large enough to cover a non-trivial fraction of a city block.

Fewer still -- very few -- had a Genuine Dwarven Artifact out front, protected by a glass case and set into a raised stand that had magical beams and wards playing all over it to deter theft.

The Artifact itself was about six feet tall or a bit more, with a low, wide base from which a cylindrical shaft rose vertically. About three feet off the ground, a table of sorts, about a foot and a half square, was attached to the shaft on one side, with a hole in its center. The top of the shaft bore a truly remarkable implement that had an ominous, pointy object about an inch in diameter protruding from its bottom, lined up with the hole in the table below it. Strange wheels, gears and levers covered the apparatus at the top, and the usual holy rope dangled from it, to be coiled neatly at the Artifact's bottom. A sign in the display case proclaimed it a "Dwarven Holy Medicine Machine." It was all very impressive.

As Rhett approached, the usual hunchbacked priest (or priest in a hunchbacked costume) emerged from the main door. "Good afternoon, the Dwarves love you," he intoned. "I am Reverend Orpiment. How may I be of service?"

[OOC: Are you sure you want to know what this thing looks like?

Very sure?

ABSOLUTELY sure?

Then: /OOC]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

As I watched the retreating back of the fellow, I pondered his words. His accent was quite thick, and I was having a little difficulty making it out. Slowly, however, I parsed it out. Mother had been making eyes at... Mother had... Mo... "MOTHER!" I shouted. "STOP CHASING OFF THE STAFF LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND FOR ME!" I went prowling about, looking for mother.
Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Post by Kincaide »

"Oh yes, this is going to be fun," muttered under his breath as the pair were faced with the sight of the Temple of the Divine Dwarf and he had to restrain himself from cringing when the priest opened his mouth. Still, he steeled himself and forged ahead, "Yeah, we're here for a look around. I'm from up North, wanted to see what you lot had squirreled away in here," he gave the priest a half-hearted smile. It was a good enough cover to get into the building, if they spotted anything suspicious while they were in there then they could start asking questions.

Captain Ritter, sensing Rhett's discomfort, took up the lead, "I'm something of a collector of relics myself. O'course I don't know what half of the things in my possession are though so I got my Northman friend here to bring me out here to compare notes and maybe make do a little bit of philanthropy," if this priest was anything like the other big city holy men he had known, the subject of donations would open a few doors for the pair.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The priest's eyes got wide. "You're from the Far North?!" he exclaimed. "The Dwarven Holy Lands! The Wellspring of Artifacts! The realm from which our salvation will come! The --"

"Papa, take it easy," a female voice said from the door to the temple. A young woman was standing there, wearing an outfit similar to the man's but lacking the hump. (On the other hand, she did have rather exaggerated ... humps ... on the front side. Real anatomy, or someone's weird idea of what the dwarven women had looked like? Hard to say, but at least she didn't have a beard.)

"Yes, Joli," the man said, abashed. He retreated into the temple as his daughter(?) stepped out. "Please forgive my father's enthusiasm," she said. "He doesn't get many visitors from the dwarven lands, and it really is quite exciting for those of our faith. Anyway, welcome to the Temple of the Divine Dwarf. What can we do for you?"

---------

Faye and Layla exchanged glances and smiles. "Did I ever do anything like that with you?" mother asked daughter, getting a guffaw in reply. "Are you kidding?" Layla answered. "Don't you remember what you threatened to do to the first boyfriend I brought home?" And Faye guffawed right back.

They turned their attention back to the improbable elf. "Well?" Layla asked. "Can you help figure out what happened to our other two dead employees?"

Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Post by Kincaide »

Rhett stepped back when the priest got excited. The last thing he wanted was for the man to do something he would regret later. His hand drifted down toward the hilt of Gram, ironically a dwarven blade, but when the young woman arrived he pulled his hand away. She seemed a little more sane, so he began to relax some, "Ain't no dwarven lands up there now, just some wrecks and a bunch of folk living as best they can," Rhett replied, trying to keep as neutral about it as possible. He would have enjoyed her appearance more except the entire temple made his skin crawl slightly.

"What my young friend means to say is that, yes he is of the Far North and has even explored some of the dwarven ruins himself," Rhett shot the Captain a murderous look. Saying someone from the North has been in dwarven ruins was like saying the Patriarch lives in Veracia. Despite the warnings of parents kids had a tendency to explore the various ruins that dotted the landscape, which is why you ended up with a abnormal number of kids wounded by the vicious defenses that sometimes still survived the hundreds of years.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"An explorer of the Sacred Ruins, daughter!" Reverend Orpiment exclaimed. "Why, this man must be a prophet sent by the Dwarves to enlighten us! He --"

"He probably would like a cup of coffee," the girl interrupted.