2011-01-12:The content of this comic is rather questionable.

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2011-01-12:The content of this comic is rather questionable.

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

KZK
Forum Trainee

Re: The content of this comic is rather questionable.

Post by KZK »

Re: the comment under the comic. A cat ussually wakes you because he wants to eat, and he wants to eat at specific time. I cured my cat of this (after the third time), by setting him in a different room (from me), with the door closed and no access to food (*only food*, not water or kitty-box), for 12 hours. He only did it twice after that.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Jack actually doesn't get fed in the mornings, none of our cats do. Their bowls are filled at night, and only at night. If they have food, they are not refilled until the kitties have eaten it even if they hint broadly that it ought to be. Otherwise they'd sulk and insist on fresh food whenever they went near their bowls, and we're not down with that game.

I think Jack wakes up Poe because he's a broken, clingy little SOB who freaks out if separated from Michael for more than about two hours at a time. The less attention he gets before bed, the faster he decides that it's really important to get attention in the middle of the night. The other kitties don't bother us, the most they do is decide to snuggle... Jack is the one who wants active attention, and will follow you around the house until he gets it. His preferred target is Michael, but in a pinch he'll come and bug me, instead.

This is less of a problem for me, as I long since evolved the ability to pet kitties in my sleep.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

Imp-Chan wrote:I think Jack wakes up Poe because he's a broken, clingy little SOB who freaks out if separated from Michael for more than about two hours at a time.
So, lap-cat. Can't solve that problem. My own lap-cat seems to get pleasure, almost a high, from being petted on the head. It acts like an addict anyway. When she wants to be on my lap, she will not be deterred.

What is worse is when cats discover distilled water. When my kitties started drinking distilled water out my own glass, and then refused to drink the tap water water I put out...

. /l、
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf,)ノ
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

For some reason Jack is also Obsessed with my bath water. As a tiny kitten, this included climbing on me and batting at the bubbles from the high and dry spots (it was even more disgustingly cute than it sounds). As an adult cat, his obsession takes the form of racing hopefully to sit on the edge of the tub every time I enter any bathroom in the house, and then when I do draw a bath drinking the water from the tub... no matter what I put in it that should rightfully deter him. He's gleefully consumed plain hot water, hot water with bubble bath, hot water with bath salts (though not much as I was very aggressive about defending that one on the theory they could probably kill him, and have discontinued using them since), and hot water with essential oils. We've tried putting out dishes of hot water next to his food, but he's really only interested in the kind in the tub. It isn't just baths, he also licks the drain after a shower, but he does so much more rarely than he attacks my bathwater. The tub is my time for reading, so it is used often, and the damn cat is very persistent!

I think we just plain broke the cat. We got him at the youngest possible age that he could leave his mother, and he's been petted and spoiled ever since. It has neat effects like being able to effectively juggle him in midair without him objecting, and he's trained to respond to a particular whistle, but our other cats are nowhere near as obnoxious. Of course, the other cats also didn't get advanced training in problem solving... there was a period there where we kept setting Jack increasingly complicated puzzles to see if he'd solve them. Now he can set up chain reactions to knock over cups, and he looks hopefully at the toys desk whenever we use the GLADOS voice.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

My solution is that if a cat wakes you up, he becomes a warm furry (purring) pillow for the next twenty minutes (untill it gets really annoyed).

It's when my cat started trying to open doors by turning the doornobs (and failing) that I knew he was extra smart for a kitty.

I wouldn't be surprized if your cat started going after your laundry too.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

About Jack and the tub - most cats lack the ability to see water correctly - it has something to do with the extra layer of reflective material that they have in their eyes to give them better night vision, though the actual explaination escapes me. Because they have problems percieving water, they have even more problem seeing how deep water is, which is part of the reason why cats have developed an instinctual fear of water - if you can't tell if a stream is a few inches or a few feet deep, that's good motivation to avoid it. It's also the reason some cats bat at their waterbowl before drinking - the ripples make it easier for them to see the surface level, making it easier for them to park above the water rather than nose-first into it.

Jack may possibly not have the issues with the reflective coating and his perception of water depth - that, or he may simply be too dumb to survive in nature.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Imp-Chan wrote:This is less of a problem for me, as I long since evolved the ability to pet kitties in my sleep.

^-^'
Wow. That's a useful skill! We have a cat ourselves and it doesn't sleep in my bed, but a lot of the time while I'm working it'll want to be petted.