2011-01-18: The first and last time Naga's the straight man.

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2011-01-18: The first and last time Naga's the straight man.

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

PsychoStreak
New Poster

Re: 2011-01-18: The first and last time Naga's the straight man.

Post by PsychoStreak »

Instant swimming pool. Just sayin'. :geek:

Also, a new house rule: Never use an attack that blows your own hat off near the house. The homeowners insurance premiums skyrocket otherwise.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: 2011-01-18: The first and last time Naga's the straight

Post by Imp-Chan »

This comic is based on a true story, and I feel I should explain.

We had a reel mower that wouldn't cut the grass properly no matter how much we sharpened it, so we fell behind on mowing the lawn and the township sent us nasty letters, then did it for us (badly) and added the exorbitant bill to our property taxes. Additionally we'd hauled out a bunch of yews from in front of our house because they were mean and ugly and destroying our front steps, which left a gaping hole and attempts to fill it in and plant grass failed, and our back yard is still being swallowed alive by morning glories no matter how much I cut them back.

So last year we finally upgraded our lawn mower once we could afford it and got the lawn in order, and this past week I spent cutting down morning glories along one side of the house and pulling weeds, tilling halfway around the house, spraying roundup over the tilled soil along the side with the AC, putting down landscape fabric everywhere I'd tilled, planting in front of the house, and then mulching everywhere. It was an exhausting process that I did largely without help (Poe has too much to do, though he did draw outside to keep me company and help me get the tiller started), and the one side and front look nice now, but there's still the back yard and other side yard full of honeysuckles and morning glories for me to tackle.

The temptation to just blow it all to kingdom come is a very strong one, morning glories are stubborn bastards and the roots for ours go all the way to China. So next time I have time instead of competing book deadlines (it might be several years, we lived here for almost five years before I was together enough to do this last round), I really will do the less explosive equivalent, which is cutting them all down to below the soil, then tilling it all up, spraying plant killer (and painting the cut ends of the plant with plant killer concentrate), then putting down landscape fabric and black mulch so they can't grow back and their remaining roots get baked in the sun (these are on the south side of the house). Maybe someday many many years from now I will even dare to actually plant things back there.

At least I will have the satisfaction of mentally flipping the bird to the township. There's public land behind our house, and the grass there is a couple of feet high right now... the tables have at last turned! I wish they'd hurry up and mow, though, because we started using that land to practice archery, and Poe needs the stress relief.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.