So... how do we get the word out?

Help us craft our dastardly plans for world domination!
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: So... how do we get the word out?

Post by Imp-Chan »

I know they're broken, we haven't had the time to make them all yet. However, the one flier DOES work now, so at least there's something.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
RGE
Errant Scholar

Post by RGE »

I used to do like publius and check the vote sites for good comics to read, but now I read too many, so I'm not really looking for more to read. Didn't stop me from starting to follow Fey Winds though, when I happened to notice the banner at Buzz Comics a couple of months ago. Good comics usually float to the top, and the 11-100 aren't that bad either. The way I see it, voting sites should be one of the first things you go to if you want more readers. All it costs is a couple of (horribly disfiguring?*) vote buttons on the page and the numb fingers of your loyal fans as they click away in wild abandon.

* That's why Sunday at Ten hide their vote buttons on their links page.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Okay, you've convinced me. We'll join some voting sites, and hide the buttons on the "Spread the Word" page, so that you can click on them to your heart's content.

^-^'
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Turns out I was wrong. We've built a separate Vote page instead.

So then... please go vote for us!

^-^'
Stick & String
Forum Regular

Post by Stick & String »

No problem in tossing a vote. For anyone out there that will vote, bear in mind that those lists can and need to be voted on daily (or as often as you can) as they are very fluid and change rankings often (something like every 15 hours or so from the message about when you can vote again).

So, vote often.
metroknight
One Post Wonder

Post by metroknight »

Hello all.

I'm new here but I've been enjoying your webcomic. I'm an admin for a rpg gaming website/forum that has over two hundred members at this moment. I was planning a posting a link to your webcomic but I can't at this time due to due to our forum rules (we have underaged gamers) and your slipstream ad that leads to adult comics. I hope you have great success on getting the word out. Good luck.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

The Best way to get the word out is to go where fans of cartoons and animation are. You might try advertising at sites like Toonzone, Animenewsnetwork, and other news sites. You might try advertising at commercial sites like the Right Stuf International (TRSI). You might even want to see about trying to get Right Stuf to carry Errant Story mechandise, especially the few collections you self published with Keenspot.

A notch higher would be to see about advertising in the back of manga volumes from various publishers (Tokyopop, Viz, Del Rey, etc.), or magazines like Shonen Jump.

A notch higher still would be to have one of you fly to Japan (since you probably don't have an agent) and try to get one of the major Japanese publishers (Kodansha, Shuisha, etc.) to license Errant Story for publication in Japan (manga sells a lot better in Japan than in America). A side bonus to this strategy is that Japanese companies ussually only make anime out of manga that is published in Japan, particularly those that are serialized in the various manga magazines. Alteratively you could go to one of the existing publishers of Manga in the U.S. (Del Rey, Viz, etc. Do not go to Tokyopop), but unlike with Japan you would have to worry about the fine print / control of the property, etc., which might not make it worth it.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

Post by koshkoo »

I might be speaking over my head here, This is my observation of it...

First of all, I came here ages ago via megatokyo linky after a quite impressive guest strip.

Now what I have observed is there's a circle of web comicists running around, and those who read web comics would eventually set foot here sooner or later via links or recommendations from other friends or curiosity of who this Poe person is after finding his work mention or shown here and there in those other web comics like megatokyo, machall, etc etc and etc.

So the question really is, what genre are you trying to reach out to? Perhaps you should first ask the question of what you're trying to do with this franchise of yours? From what I poke around here so far it seems you folks are trying to go 'pro' in the comic scene, that involves quite a huge business planning to make sure expenses could be covered, or are you simply happy with being a web based comic.

Now I am not from the states but from what I observed there's limited comic plublishers there, namely DC, Marvel, Dark Horse as the few main players. So the publishers are pretty much limited, using smaller publishers won't have the coverage those huge publishers have *grumbles*

Japan on the other hand is a little more wierd with it's presence of doujin circles where the manga industry there sort of allow a niche of manga artist to draw and publish their works. Since I do see a huge influence of manga style stuff here, unfortunately it is still quite western. Not sure if that would work for foreigns and the taste and humor is definitely different.

Advertising is merely a part of POP, promotion of product, where you would invest in to promote awareness of your targeted market of your product. I won't even go into talking about CIS or business plan yada yada blah blah, but I can certainly say if you are trying to expand your business coverage, you really should consider a direction for your work or it will end in debts. Not to mention before that ensuring the IP of your work and legitamacy and other rubish that comes with it. So I do think it isn't really time for you to consider employing advertising techniques that requires a huge amount of investment when you aren't sure what sort of revenue projection and turnover you are viving for. You're on the web, thus try and do it without extra cost.

Sorry if there isn't any constructive nor direct advice upon the matter, since it seems to me you're already in murky waters, it might be best to first design yourself some sort of proposal or direction you'd want to take instead of swimming in circles, forever wondering how to improve when you can't make out where to swim to. This simply isn't a simple answer to the question you're asking.

For what I know web comics themselves are a rather small business and coverage, So far I have only seen just that many made it into paperback/ hard cover publication and even after that they can't seem to break even....The cost of producing comic certainly isn't cheap that I know, thus I really admire you folks to dig into this as a career.

And playing in Errant Road, which I'd see as far art, reminds me of light novels, which typically are easier to publish than comics because it won't be considered 'for kids only- comic'
Swift
New Poster

Post by Swift »

My turn to up this post.

Here's my suggestion : use new media.

New media such as face book, tweeter are excellent way to say to you consumer that you updated, to create a much larger community based on your already own community.

It mean making a page on ES or on you company witch is selling ES and EN.

Since now we can do some background change on those media to make it more like a unique page it's just better.

With that you can make pool, get to know to who you're selling and what they expect from you.

That might just get you more donation too.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

We actually do have Facebook pages for ES and EN, I just suck most mightily when it comes to updating them. Is there some sort of gadget that can do it for us? If so, that'd be better.

^-^'