2011-12-12: Also the cat too.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2011-12-12: Also the cat too.

Post by Initial B »

Leave it to Jon to point out the elephant in the room.

I don't know at this point if the entities can leave Meji even if she wanted them to. Perhaps Meji won't go crazy like the majority of the Half Elves since she has another entity (possibly two) living inside her skull to help keep her in check. Talking to her must be the equivalent of trying to dismantle a thermonuclear device. They'll need to watch what they say when talking with her.

Quite possibly this may end up with her going off with the fairies to segregate herself from the world until she is needed again.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Initial B wrote:Quite possibly this may end up with her going off with the fairies to segregate herself from the world until she is needed again.
Interesting thought! Note also that Nookie has identified the never-seen Continuity as someone who might be able to, quote, "fix this mess" -- and it isn't like Poe to leave a loose end dangling like that.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Initial B wrote:Quite possibly this may end up with her going off with the fairies to segregate herself from the world until she is needed again.
She still hasn't done those horrible, horrible things yet.

Then again Sara still hasn't muffle mumble mutter Exitialis yet either, so maybe that's due for the sequel...

Still looking for that fleet of airships, btw; if anybody has any ideas where they might be off to let me know. Probably just lying around somewhere like a loose thread....
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Forrest wrote: Then again Sara still hasn't muffle mumble mutter Exitialis yet either, so maybe that's due for the sequel...

Still looking for that fleet of airships, btw; if anybody has any ideas where they might be off to let me know. Probably just lying around somewhere like a loose thread....
Graybeard wrote:... it isn't like Poe to leave a loose end dangling like that.
I tend to agree with Graybeard.

1. The Time Monkeys are headed back home at a decent rate of "hurry", minus Anita and Paul, I'll bet.
2. It is unclear whether the elvish refugees use the portal, are going back with the fleet, or a bit of both.
3. It is certain the Praenubilis Astu is going to become a Ghost Town/Ruin.
4. What's left of the Elvish army is going to be real surprised that Tsuirakuans are technically half-elves. I'd love to be the fly on the wall of the meeting room where they find that out. That's going to be Ishiro Hinadori's litmus test for the refugees (It certainly would be mine ;) ).
5. Extracting the Ghod Essences from Meji is going to be tricky at best. That could result in the BOOM that future Meji mentioned.

We may be at the denouement but not quite at the epilog.
Last edited by Slamlander on December 14th, 2011, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
wrog
Errant Scholar

Post by wrog »

Graybeard wrote:
Interesting thought! Note also that Nookie has identified the never-seen Continuity as someone who might be able to, quote, "fix this mess" -- and it isn't like Poe to leave a loose end dangling like that.
And then there's the Small Matter of whether the mess actually wants to be fixed.

Also, I think Anton Chekhov should have had a rule about Floating Cities ...
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

There's a general problem with Jon's comment: even if (a) Meji's willing, and (b) someone can figure out how to remove the god essence in the first place, the Djinn's out of the bottle now; if there's god-juice around, and it can be made use of, someone's going to make a grab for it. It kind of needs a sentient protector to prevent it from just being grabbed by some lunatic, and the Paeda's don't seem powerful enough.
havard
New Poster
Twitter @: jhavard

Post by havard »

It's a little known fact that the universe of Errant Story is actually contained in a toilet in an apartment shared by a weird creature and Ralph. Everything will be fine as long as nobody says "HARMON GREEDO PHILBIN ORKO NECTU".
Madayar
Forum Regular
Twitter @: Madayar

Post by Madayar »

Cast it into the fire! Destroy it! Meiji!
"Writers live in the worlds of books they've not yet written."
minigendo
Forum Trainee

Post by minigendo »

One of the really convenient things about having god powers (and the nightmarish thing about trying to write characters with them) is that you have god powers. You can essentially do whatever you want. The long and short of it then, is that if Meiji refuses to give up her "phenomenal cosmic powers" its because she doesn't want to give them up. Literally nothing else prevents her from doing so.

Security issues have been mentioned, that is to say, now that god powers are a factor others would seek them if Meji gave them up. But having those god powers means that Meiji could devise a security system that couldn't be circumvented or do something like create a wormhole to drop them into the heart of a sun, place them in a pocket dimension, travel forward in time and present them only when people are ready for them. Really any number of things.

People have mentioned that the gods might not want to go back to sleep, which begs the question as to why they were asleep in the first place. They appear to have done it to themselves. Ignoring that, they've not shown any real sign of sentience thus far. Also even if they did care ...god powers. They could be used to create new bodies for them to dwell in.

Finally the vision from the future. Assuming it was real, again, god powers mean that you can go make continuity cry if you want. The vision even appeared to allude to this, with future Meiji apparently running time, rebooting as necessary. This has interesting moral implications, since Meiji could use god powers to resolve the main crisis of errant story before it ever became an issue. None of the people who died, Ian included, have to stay dead, because Meiji could quantum leap in and ensure that they never died in the first place.

In the grand scheme of things then, if Meiji decides not to power down, it's because she doesn't want to. Thus if she commits atrocities, even accidentally from here on out ... well ... it's all on her, so to speak. Hard to like a character like that.

The defense against all of this is that she doesn't have GOD power god powers, but merely a tremendous amount of power. But this appears to contradict with the vision of the future, where it's implied she controls reality or at least time.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

minigendo wrote:One of the really convenient things about having god powers (and the nightmarish thing about trying to write characters with them) is that you have god powers. You can essentially do whatever you want. The long and short of it then, is that if Meiji refuses to give up her "phenomenal cosmic powers" its because she doesn't want to give them up. Literally nothing else prevents her from doing so.
Depends how thorough the 'god powers' actually are. Meji has lots of power, but it may have limits, and regardless of that, there's limits on what she knows how to do with them.
minigendo wrote:Security issues have been mentioned, that is to say, now that god powers are a factor others would seek them if Meji gave them up. But having those god powers means that Meiji could devise a security system that couldn't be circumvented
You mean the way the originals did? Though I think the point of what the originals did was to allow them to return at some point, it just didn't work quite right.